Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Regional Overland Rally and Workshop Schedule 2011: Coming Hollister, CA

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
A friend of mine has a Black 2001 P38 for sale. Nice in and out. Upgraded after factory Nav/radio unit, changed over to coils with a 5" lift, Dura Tracs, perfect running condition. The original tires and air bags are available if desired. He's asking for 8k. He asked me to offer it to the club since most outside market would not understand a 5" lift on a range rover :)
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I have a friend who is looking for a P38, but the 5 inch lift might be a bit much for her.
Mileage?

Is this truck located in Tracy? I may have have seen it on cars.com.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

JFlores

JFlores

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Do you have a pic and how much is he asking?
JOSH
2000 DII

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi there,

I have a 1999 Range Rover HSE that I am thinking in selling. I want to upgrade to a newer range rover or LR3. The RR is in great running conditions. The Air suspension is also in good working condition. I upgraded the air bags not long ago with Arnott air bags that have lifetime warranty. I have not done any major modifications to it other than having a custom build bumper and rocksliders. It also has a 12K winch. It currently has 159K but running strong.

I am asking 6300 or best offer. Here are some pictures of my P38

http://web.me.com/an...Site_2/P38.html

AA

THoult

THoult

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Is this still for sale? We are looking for something comfortable but also a bit more off road capable.

THoult

THoult

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
We are looking for something more off road capable than my new LR2 but also newish, maybe even as new as 2003-2004 for long desert trips. I see there are a few newer 01-03's with miles on them for ~$12k but I would also like to know from the membership whether the 03-04 with unibody and BMW engine is highly thought of as a possible off-roader and a better propostion than the P38?
Tony Hoult

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I have a P38, so I am biased. After the Death Valley trip last month, I can definitely say the P38 in stock EAS (air suspension) form with some body armor is a very capable vehicle. I made it up a difficult trail when two LR3s had to turn around. The solid axle and four wheel traction control (from 1999 on) is definitely the way to go. I haven't seen many L322s (2003 and newer) RR on the trail but I think it is because most owners just don't take them. I am sure they are pretty capable as well. Cost will be an issue as they are considerably more expensive. Overall, there is much more offroad support for the Discos than the RRs. Also, the LR3s are very trail worthy with a few upgrades.

Posted Image

Posted Image
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
I apologize to all who have posted here looking for information. My Yahoo email is suposed to receive updates when someone posts here but it wasn't until this weekend that I received my first email saying someone had responded and this is not a tread I follow regularly so I had no idea there had been some activity on the tread. I will get busy today with contacting my buddy and getting pictures loaded and more updated info for you,
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

We are looking for something more off road capable than my new LR2 but also newish, maybe even as new as 2003-2004 for long desert trips. I see there are a few newer 01-03's with miles on them for ~$12k but I would also like to know from the membership whether the 03-04 with unibody and BMW engine is highly thought of as a possible off-roader and a better propostion than the P38?
Tony Hoult

Tony, generally speaking, you wont find very many Mark IIIs (03 -->RR) on the trail doing any serious off roading. Not that they are not capable, mind you, but so much effort went into making the Mark IIIs so luxurious and comfortable that it's almost sacrilage to set one up as a rock crawler. It just wouldn't look right!! The P38s are very capable off roaders, easy to modify modestly and comfortable for long hauls. The main problem with off roading a Mark III would probably be that replacement parts for a late model Range Rover are SOOO expensive. Anything you break on the trail is guaranteed to cost you an arm and leg. Even LR3 parts are quite a bit cheaper than similar RR parts. If you're looking for a comfortable, roomy, long trip capable, off road capable model I think your choices are P38 and LR3, with P38 being the cheaper option of course.
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
The vehicle is posted on Cars.com if you would like to take a look.

http://www.cars.com/...05&aff=national

His email is Aside1134@hotmail.com and he can provide better pictures and more detailed information.
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

THoult

THoult

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That is a very sensible reply and I am sure you are right, thank you very much. I simply have to convince my wife of the same - and find a nice clean P38 of course without too many miles on it.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Where are you located? Before you purchase one, I would recommend you check out www.rangerovers.net/forum and check out the P38 thread. you will notice a few things... 1) it is the most active thread meaning there are a lot of dedicated owners, but there are also a lot small issues that require fixing/maintenance. If you are a handy mechanic and willing to learn how to fix your truck, then ownership can be very rewarding. If you are looking for a trouble-free, easily maintained truck, then you will be very disappointed. That being said, I love my P38 and it brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. It is very versatile and I like the classic design.

Also, there are a few P38 owners in the club and if you are serious about purchasing one, I would see if a fellow owner would be willing to go with you to check out the truck.I am in Elk Grove near Sacramento. You can update your profile with your location.

Here is a decent buyers guide to go through with any P38:
http://www.mez.co.uk/p38.html

good luck.

THoult

THoult

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you again for the advice. Yes, as a professional engineer like you I like to know and understand what I am driving, and the idiosyncratic nature of LR's is part of their appeal - and this helps to explain their appeal to all engineers I feel. The situation is rather like the Freelander, the V6 engine is actually a very interesting novel design that was let down by some serious engineering howlers due to rushing it into production under pressure from BMW, I was working with some of the Land Rover guys in the early to mid 90's so I was quite close to some of the stuff that was going on at that time.
So P38 it is. We are in Campbell and I am no hurry to buy so I will certainly do some research and try and find the right one. Any comments on what to look out for will be gratefully received.

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
The only suggestion I have is to look for the 4.6 engine P38. The power is adequate and it climbs steep inclines with ease. If you get the 4.0, it will be under power and the gas milage will not be any better.

I know I posted earlier that I was interested in selling my P38 but i after some thought, I will be keeping it. It has being good and reliable to me so no need to upgrade. This is also the last RR model that came with a solid axel and I like its articulation.

Good luck in finding something decent.

AA

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Again, see my previous post and look through that buyers guide. Gives some good pointers for what to watch out for when you are looking at a P38.

Also, I would suggest you get a 1999 to 2002 4.6L model. They went to 4 pin diffs front and rear as well as four wheel traction control. They use the Bosch engine management as opposed to the GEMS and gets slightly (1-2mpg?) better gas mileage, though it still is atrocious. They also had a few of the earlier electronic gremlins worked out by this time.

The HSEs have all the bells and whistles and more leather, GPS, etc. I have a 2001 4.6L SE, which for me is ideal. I wanted the 16 inch as opposed to the 18 inch rims, no chrome, and it does not have the GPS (which I heard is very outdated now and difficult to use). Instead, I have a cubby where the screen would be and there is a REAL aftermarket cupholder that works great in that location. All 2002 models are HSE with full leather and GPS.

Good luck.

http://www.rangerove...buying.htm#year

Word doc with model year differences:
http://www.rangerove....5 P38 Only.doc
For all model and year information, check out:

THoult

THoult

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Why did you want the 16" wheels? More tyre choice maybe?

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Hey NCLR members,

You may want to take a look at the Regional Overland Rally and Wokshop coming to Hollister, CA Sept 23-26, 2010: http://www.expeditio...?t=44798&page=9

Posted Image

The goal of the event is to connect the community of travelers, hear each other’s stories, plan adventures, help fellow adventurers with logistics and vehicle preparation and learn from experts from around the world.

This is a continuation of the popular (and always full) Expedition Trophy and Overland Symposium that was started by Expeditions West and Expedition Portal members in 2005.

The Expeditions West team (along with partner organizations and individuals) and the Expedition Portal community are now large enough to support the Overland Rally and Workshops in the US and internationally.

These events are about all levels of vehicle-based adventure travel, from a trip to Utah, to an around-the-world, and everything in between with a strong sense of community and all levels of experience.

I am looking forward to meeting other adventure travlers and perhaps learn something.

I just registered ($85 per person), and camping ($15 a night) for this event and got my confirmation (if you are an Expedition Portal user aka Expo, you can get $15 off if you pre-register now). Anybody else interested?

Hopefully a good number from NCLR shows up. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by RON CT110, 06 July 2010 - 06:38 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
Sounds really interesting...thinking very seriously about it!

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Do it Dan.

I will be driving in style and bring my CT110.

Space is limited and when others get a hold of this registration being open, it will fill-up quickly.

If you can't do it this year, Return to Hollister in 2011 is in the plans (my understanding) but don't know the details or cost.

$85 + camping to meet other adventure travelers, demos, vendors and just hang-out in our own 4x4 playground Hollister wouldn't want to miss and think worth the $$.

Hopefully we get more NCLR members to go - we can establish camp NCLR and have a great time.:)

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I registered for the family pack. Will probably only be there Sat, but will pack to camp Sat night if kids/wife feel up to it.....Should be fun and then return the next weekend for the NCLR event!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users