Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AMV CDL Kit

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
So it may be a tad late to "ask" about this.... but My local LR dealership has a mechanic who recommended this to enable the CDL on my 2000 DII. Seems to have a lot of love/hate type internet posts in various places.

I picked it up in Australia (was down there for business earlier this month) and the guys from AMV were great. Nice, easy to work with and very accommodating for some random yank calling trying to figure out where their shop was.

Brought the kit back last week and the Disco and the AMV CDL kit are at the LR shop getting installed as we speak....

link: http://www.amv.com.a...sIIDifflock.htm

Anyway... anyone have any experience with it?
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

stevenmd

stevenmd

NCLR008

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Pretty nifty device! Keep us updated on your install and opinions.
Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Brought the kit back last week and the Disco and the AMV CDL kit are at the LR shop getting installed as we speak....

link: http://www.amv.com.a...sIIDifflock.htm

Michael,

Never seen this one, but I like the idea. How much did it end up costing for the parts?

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
I had read about it somewhere before. However, I don't have any experience with it or even know anyone using it so I think you may be braking new ground for the rest of us on that one!
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
I got the Disco back today and looks good. Install had some quirks but the LR Shop made some adjustments (like waterproof connectors) All in All it looks like a nice upgrade. I am looking forward to trying it out. The gang at LR Rocklin are great and did a fantastic job!

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Just figured I would give an update on the CDL from AMV. I love it. However.. the "instructions" leave a bit to be desired.

The first trip out about 3/4 through the event the Disco threw an ABS/TC error and disabled TC. made for a hard rest of the trip, but up until that point the CDL was magic, like a new car!. Once it sat over night it reset and all was good again...

LR Rocklin didnt find any fault codes so left it until the next trip.

Well it happened again on the the MORG this past weekend. SO I decided to play around with why... and here is what I found out:

DO NOT TURN OFF THE ROVER WITH THE CDL ENGAGED. When the car is turn back on with the CDL engaged, this causes the TC/ABS fault and will disable your TC and ABS functions (and therefore hill decent as well)

If this happens do the following:

Disengaged the CDL
Put the Rover back in to High
turn the Rover off
Turn the Rover back on to Accessories (or start it but not needed)
Let Rover site for 15mins (the magic "reboot" number)
Restart - All should be well with the world.

Basically using the Solenoid CDL you need to remember to disengage it prior to shutting the car off. once you do that no more TC/ABS fault issues.

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
It's not that solenoid, it's just the way the D2's are setup. They basically give you the option to turn off TC, which is desirable at times. In the snow or sand you don't want the TC kicking in everytime a wheel spins faster than the others. In fact I've gotten stuck in the snow and the TC was going crazy because one of the wheels was turning with the foot off the gas. I leave my truck running a lot just so I don't have to wait for it to unlock before turning the engine off, locking is pretty quick.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
with the AMV switch unlocking is fast as well. And good to know if I ever need TC disabled I know *how* to do it.. :)

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
so the next question, when you going to AUS again?

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
prolly in summer-ish august time frame.... why? :D

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Just figured I would give an update on the CDL from AMV. I love it. However.. the "instructions" leave a bit to be desired.

The first trip out about 3/4 through the event the Disco threw an ABS/TC error and disabled TC. made for a hard rest of the trip, but up until that point the CDL was magic, like a new car!. Once it sat over night it reset and all was good again...

LR Rocklin didnt find any fault codes so left it until the next trip.

Well it happened again on the the MORG this past weekend. SO I decided to play around with why... and here is what I found out:

DO NOT TURN OFF THE ROVER WITH THE CDL ENGAGED. When the car is turn back on with the CDL engaged, this causes the TC/ABS fault and will disable your TC and ABS functions (and therefore hill decent as well)

If this happens do the following:

Disengaged the CDL
Put the Rover back in to High
turn the Rover off
Turn the Rover back on to Accessories (or start it but not needed)
Let Rover site for 15mins (the magic "reboot" number)
Restart - All should be well with the world.

Basically using the Solenoid CDL you need to remember to disengage it prior to shutting the car off. once you do that no more TC/ABS fault issues.

Would you like me to tell you which wire to put a switch in so that you can just turn off that function? Incidentally, the TC/ABS is not "non-functional" in that case, it is just less functional than normal (seriously).

Regards,

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Would you like me to tell you which wire to put a switch in so that you can just turn off that function?

Step 20. You don't need to do this if you have an '03-'04.
http://www.discovery.../diff_lock.html

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
wow, after looking at all the retro fits I am VERY happy with My AMV CDL... :)

All in all, I am quite happy with the purchase.

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Step 20. You don't need to do this if you have an '03-'04.
http://www.discovery.../diff_lock.html

Wowww, I should spend more time on the 'Net and less in the garage .....

Regards,

Graeme

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

wow, after looking at all the retro fits I am VERY happy with My AMV CDL... :)

All in all, I am quite happy with the purchase.

Michael,

I have one here for evaluation, and although it is interesting, I find it a little over-complex and don't like the 'silicon sealer' method of switch modification. The cost is too high also. The motor appears to be from a seat-belt tensioner (although could be a window opener too). I have yet to try it on a transfer case.

Regards,

Graeme

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
LR Rocklin did the install for me, so I cant speak to the process there. But I love the simplicity of it from the driver perspective. And it helps that I am a geek so electronic things guud. now, that being said, if this were a hard-core epxo vehicle, I would NOT put in the solenoid CDL solution.... I would got the linkage method. just because murphy sucks.....

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users