Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Group Buy for BajaRack (Need 5) for NCLR Club

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Hi Folks,

We have a planned expedition trip to Mexico or another idea tossed around was Alaska as alt (due to concerns in Mexico) this year!

Sweet! Hope it happens!

Some may need a rack for this trip; actually you don't need to be going on this trip to participate in the group buy!

Anyways, with the trip coming up in mind, I reached out the the owner of BajaRack, let them know about our trips, about NCLR club and what we stand-for; also very excited to see companies make racks for DI and DIIs.

Owner Sergio responded and offered us a group buy deal (need 5 to complete the group buy)

Racks are: http://www.bajarack.com/land-rover

BR-LRD1-1-0 Land Rover Discovery I rack (side front rails don't need to be remove). Outside frame measurements 92" long x 59" wide (This rack comes as one piece). Finish Zinc primer with black powder coating. All mounting brackets (8) included. Price $875.00 plus shipping

BR-LRD1-EXP-1-0 Land Rover Discovery I rack (side front rails don't need to be remove). Outside frame measurements 92" long x 59" wide. Flat area for Roof Top Tent measures 45" long x 53" wide (This rack comes as one piece). Finish Zinc primer with black powder coating. All mounting brackets (8) included. Price $825.00 plus shipping

BR-LRD2-1-0 Land Rover Discovery II rack (side front rails don't need to be remove). Outside frame measurements 97" long x 59" wide (This rack comes as one piece). Finish Zinc primer with black powder coating. All mounting brackets (8) included. Price $890.00 plus shipping

BR-LRD2-EXP-1-0 Land Rover Discovery II rack (side front rails don't need to be remove). Outside frame measurements 97" long x 59" wide. Flat area for Roof Top Tent measures 49" long x 59" wide (One piece rack). Finish Zinc primer with black powder coating. All mounting brackets (8) included. Price $850.00 plus shipping

Shipping rates are: $110 ea x 5 of them shipped in a pallet to a commercial address (hint! hint! Mexxis), or shipped to ea our residential address for $180 ea.

I asked Sergio if local pick-up is avail; he said if we want to pick it up in their factory @ Vista CA (north of San Diego; about 475 miles from SF one way), save money if you are going to be in the area anyways, he welcomes this idea.

Or maybe if someone is from that area, have a trailer (or empty u-haul) and planning to come-up to the Bay Area anyways, we can offer that person $200-$300 for gasoline (split the cost/save all of us time and money)

I am tempted to drive as I need to do a cleint call in LA (in April) and also live to meet Sergio (perhaps future club sponsorship to pitch to him later).

Special deal for us NCLR group buy is 10% off the price above + tax + shipping or local pick-up.

I am interested in the DII BajaRack for RTT tents; cost is $850 - 10% discount comes to about $765 + tax.

Any interest? Time frame for you to pull the trigger? Sergio tells me that once we get 5 buyers, he will req a 50% to start the build. Visa or MC accepted (you pay BajaRack not me).

PM if interested or post-up if you have Qs

Rack Top View
Posted Image

DI Front View w/the rack
Posted Image

DI Close-up
Posted Image

DII Front View w/the rack
Posted Image

Edited by RON CT110, 06 January 2011 - 02:00 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
OK so been looking at this since it was posted on Expedition Portal. do we all have to buy the same model?

I am looking at the RTT model as well!
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

OK so been looking at this since it was posted on Expedition Portal. do we all have to buy the same model?

I am looking at the RTT model as well!

Hey Michael,

No, we don't have to buy the same model to get in the group buy; price above is what was quoted on Expo also except we get 10% off. Want to offer this to you and other NCLR club members first, and then if we can't fill the remaining 3 - take it to LRRF.

Membership has its privilledge (smile); gezz come to think of it, the 10% I will save or $85 pays for my $60 NCLR renewal fee.

Let me know if you have any other Qs. Thanks Michael!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Lscherrer

Lscherrer

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
After this story I did a bunch of sketches I sent to Sergio. Now, the rack has heavy gauge steel and a much lower profile and it looks some ideas are similar to the drawings I sent. Since my old one cracked in multiple spots it will be replaced with the new design. Looking forward to take it out again (plan was to take it out over Christmas but they weren't ready yet)

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Thanks Lukas! We will benefit from your suggestions. The new racks look solid. Is Sergio replacing your old with the new, or do you want to get into the group buy? Great photos by the way from your trip over Christmas; I couldn't add my comment on the NCLR thread (seems locked); anyways, nice trip and amazing pictures. What camera are you using?

Lscherrer

Lscherrer

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ron,

Yes, Sergio is replacing the cracked one hence I'm not participating in the group buy...

I have a small Leice (D-Lux2) that I use for the trips. It's a good camera but even if it is point and shoot size, it requires too much fiddling to setup everything manual... I need to start looking into getting a 'real' camera...

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW
argh! i've been in touch with them for a while. they made a megamule 2 for the RRS, but i'm not crazy about the design. don't think it compliments the RRS lines well. they did suggest looking at their racks for the RRC, but didn't look further. if you need one more and they'd consider a rack for my RRS, gimme a holler. i'm still waiting to see what rover racks comes up with.

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

Lscherrer

Lscherrer

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Phil, cool thing about BajaRack is that they are open for suggestions. We could do a design that fits the RRS and send it to them... This is what I sent them for the Disco rack (among many others)

Edited by Lscherrer, 06 January 2011 - 08:32 PM.

Jen

Jen

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I emailed Sergio to inquire about racks for LR3 and I'm in for one. If we can combine or do the above for shipping, that would be great.
Jen
LR3 2008
Now with a Baja Rack! Bigger Tyres! Sas Rods! RS Sliders!

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

I emailed Sergio to inquire about racks for LR3 and I'm in for one. If we can combine or do the above for shipping, that would be great.

Hi Jen, if you have not ordered one yet and paid for it, I am sure we can add your order as a group buy; let me just double check with Sergio; that would be great if you can get the 10% off. Shipping can be the pallet pricing I noted ($110 ea), or indy shipping ($180 ea) or local pick-up @ Vista CA.

So far we have:
- Me
- Michael
- Jen
- ?
- ?

Excellent illustrations Lukas

Perhaps Phil you might be able to get you the rack that you want for your RRS

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco
I was hoping I could join in on this buy but will have to wait... finances just don't allow for it a this time.

Ron - If you need a business address and warehouse in Northern California you are more than welcome to ship the lot to my warehouse in San Leandro. I can hold the racks until the members are ready to pick up.

Good luck with the buy!
'96 Disco SE White

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

I was hoping I could join in on this buy but will have to wait... finances just don't allow for it a this time.

Ron - If you need a business address and warehouse in Northern California you are more than welcome to ship the lot to my warehouse in San Leandro. I can hold the racks until the members are ready to pick up.

Good luck with the buy!

Thanks Nigel for the offer.

We don't have to pull this trigger right away; I can certainly wait for a month or two; would that work for you? C yah!

Ron

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
I am ok if we delay a month or so.. no urgent need..

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco

Thanks Nigel for the offer.

We don't have to pull this trigger right away; I can certainly wait for a month or two; would that work for you? C yah!

Ron

Don't wait for me. It'll be sometime around the summer for me before I am ready to buy. All the $$$ is going toward the Disco right now and the rack would be for the LR4.
'96 Disco SE White

Jen

Jen

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Is there a reason why I would wan the RTT version vs. the regular? I can't really see myself ever sleeping up there vs in the back, but maybe the boys, when they get bigger? Anyone have the RTT?

Thanks!
Jen
LR3 2008

Lscherrer

Lscherrer

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Is there a reason why I would wan the RTT version vs. the regular? I can't really see myself ever sleeping up there vs in the back, but maybe the boys, when they get bigger? Anyone have the RTT?

Thanks!

Hi Jen,

We have one and love it. Some reasons for the roof tent:
-On the move, there is fewer stuff that has to be in the car. Sleeping bag and all that can be folded with the tent.
-Once you like a spot, you don't have to clear out the car and make room to sleep, you just unfold the tent. Takes 30 seconds. In the morning, 1 minute to fold it up and you are ready to roll.
-Comfort
-View ( It's kind of nice being up there)

Two things against it:
-Cost (if you care about this. A decent quality RTT is about 2k)
-Weight on top of the car, higher COG

Before I got ours, I researched many of them and ended up with the South African Eezi Awn. It's very good quality with some smart details. We bought it here

I would definitely buy it again...

Jen

Jen

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Thanks Lukas!
Hmmm, those are all good points, thank you for the write up. I certainly would love the fold up and go option, but the COG concerns me. Plus the cost of the RTT, with 2 boys that ruin almost everything I own, I usually look at stuff in two ways 1- is it cheaper to just replace every few years when they ruin it, or is it sturdy enough and easy enough to fix, that I can do it myself? (I keep telling myself, that as they get older, less "accidents" will happen, but other parents of boys start hyperventilating from laughter at this statement, so I'm guessing that's not in my future).

Also, if need be, I can also wait until summer for the rack. I'm looking at one for long term. Right now, my boys and their gear are all small enough to fit in the back where the 3rd row should be. However, my older child is already asking when he can bring his friend or cousins along. If we pack the back with boys, there won't be room for their gear, hence the need for the rack.

Edited by Jen, 16 January 2011 - 08:35 PM.
sp

Jen
LR3 2008

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
So I also have an RTT (from CVT : http://www.cascadiatents.com/ ) for me it has been the best camping purchase I have made in a long time (and I buy camping crap all the time :) ) So to that end I will be getting the RTT model of roof rack. I have looked a a bunch of different racks and so far this BajaRack is the best I have found for the money/features.

Here is the RTT on top of the Disco in Arizona last week....

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Ron - we might be interested in an LR3 model, but wouldn't be til after tax day if there is any money left :-)

Jen - what was the price quoted on the LR3 rack?

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

HenryV

HenryV

Henry (NCLR Member)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm a new member and have been looking for a rack like this for some time now. Is this offer still around I would really like to join in on this offer. Thanks

Henry V.

1996 Disco daily driver
1996 Disco for parts
1969 Series 88 II "in the works to be rebuilt"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users