Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Non-refrigerated Food Options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
The upcoming trip to Death Valley will be the longest trip we've taken so far. We realize we're going to have to get creative with the kinds of food we pack for a family of 5 for 7-8 days of on-the-trail travel. We will have a 48-Qt Edgestar fridge and maybe a medium sized Ice Chest for beer, juices, and food that must be refrigerated.

I'm looking for recommendations on how to minimize the amount of perishables while still being able to eat somewhat healthy. I'm supposed to be cutting back on salt (I hate getting older), but realize that a few days of freeze dried trail food probably won't kill me. What kinds of foods travel well in hot desert conditions for several days?...oh and the condition is that kids must be willing to eat it :-)

Thanks.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
MREs and Jimmy Dean's are perfect for the conditions and include their own means to heat up the meals. You can purchase them on line, Im sure. We get them issued to us in the Military so I've never had to purchase one but I'm sure they are available on line somewhere.

Edit:

A quick search on line showed the 12 meal case on sale for $60 on the very first place I checked so it is available on line and probably cheaper in other places.

Edited by Jantiz, 01 April 2011 - 09:36 AM.

"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Hmm, good question. Here is what we typically do:

-For breakfast, bagels, dried oatmeal, those unhealthy cinnamon rolls, or cold cereal. All tou really need is milk to be kept cold. I also usually throw in some eggs and bacon for a "in camp" breakfast, but since we will be moving pretty quick in Death Valley most of the time, I'll limite that.

-For lunch, we snack on crackers, salami, cheese. If you get the right stuff, none of it needs to be refrigerated. (and by the way, Death Valley won't be super hot this time of year -- expect temps in the 40's all the way to the 80's). We use the cooler for things like grapes and fruit.

-For dinners, I reserve cooler space. We are meat eaters, so do lots of steaks, burgers, bratwurst. We also will be using a "dutch oven" which opens up possibilities for healthy eating. What we do there is premeausre out whatever we need, put it in little baggies, and stuff into the cooler. Corn on the cob, cooked on the campfire, is a good food that doesn't need refrigerating. I've thought about, but never needed to , bringing along soups and/or macaroni & cheese type stuff.

I also carry MRE's. Kids love em. Not so sure they are real healthy, but you can get them at the Mountain View Army Navy Surplus. And of course the staples -- cofeee, cocoa, and stuff to make Smores.

I have a very large cooler (a Yeti) that we are always able to fit enough for an extended trip in comfortably. To gain space, I keep the waters and sodas and beers out of it to begin with, then add them as the trip goes along. I will also freeze water bottles, use them as ice for a while, then start drinking them when they unfreeze. If I do need two coolers, which is rare, I'll put the drinks in one and all the meat/supplies in another.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

stevenmd

stevenmd

NCLR008

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Kevin - if you need another cooler, I have 3 different sizes you can borrow, or you can borrow my ARB MT-45 and have a second fridge/freezer!
Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
One of my favorites; it's perishables but if you managed it well, you can eat well during long trips and alternate the days with the camping dry food.

I will bring some samples of these @ MOM - see picture!

They are fully cooked in the package, easy to prepare. Plus healthier! I have them in zip locks organized by day(s)/portions when I'd like to serve them.

I keep them refrigerated (portable freezer), and then the morning of lunch/dinner and in-prep, I transfer them to my cooler; just add water, heat and ready for lunch + salad or dinner + bread.

Edited by RON CT110, 02 April 2011 - 09:05 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
We have found (the hard way) that the Mountain House freeze dried meals in a bag are pretty bad and bad for you. Beyond what we can fit in our ARB fridge we use canned goods like canned salmon, spaghetti and canned sauce, canned chile, and canned stew. There are lots of prepred food options that are of the "add water" variety that might be OK. Check the prepared food srction of Safeway. Examples: mac&cheese, scalloped potatoes ... There is also minute rice and instant mashed potatoes plus canned meats. Just walk the grocery aisles with yur needs in mind and I'm sure you will come up with something that will work for you.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
yes, its amazing how many items in the grocery are "just heat and serve" or otherwise easily prepared. All the pasta-ronis are good dishes and just require a pot of water and maybe some butter/milk. Then you have pretty much the whole canned isle for veggies/soups/tuna/etc. Those fully cooked meatballs look great and you can find other fully cooked meats at places like Trader Joes. For a regular sandwich meal, you only need the lunch meat and condiments to be cold, the rest (bread, tomatos, chips, lettuce, etc) can all be dry or in a regular cooler. Dried mixes (gatorade/iced tea/lemonade) pre-measured in plastic baggies for a nalgene bottle are good alternatives to bottled beverages. Pretty much all your fruit will last the week without any need for refrigeration.

You are going to have to write down exactly how many meals for the days you will be on (off) the road. Then start filling in ideas for each meal. Bring along alot of 'snack' foods as well to munch on (granola/Clif bars, crackers, chips, trail mix, pistachios) Once you actually figure out what truly needs refrigeration, then you can start packing accordingly. Also, start your list now and start buying the non-perishables now. I never find I am as organized the last few days before the trip. Good luck.

You definitely have quite a posse to feed.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Who knew you could get packets of mayo, mustard, and ketchup from Amazon?

Also Raley's had wine in a 1 liter juice box...tasty and easy to dispose or burn on the trail :)

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users