Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Range Rover storage and slider for fridge

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
In preparation for the Death Valley trip, I worked on a storage solution for the rear of my Range Rover. I spent the last weekend building out the unit in wood and then covered it in outdoor carpet this week. It actually came out better than expected.

I opted for a large storage area for bins, rather than drawers. I feel it gives me more options for packing gear. I didn't use the 500lb sliders as this was a 'proof of concept' for me. My first upgrade will be heavier duty and slightly longer sliders if these sliders break.

Next steps, d-rings to secure gear and the ARB tie-down kit is in the mail.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I made a cut-out for access to the cd changer
Posted Image

Yes, it covers the spare tire and tools, but the whole unit is removeable. It weighs roughly 30-40 lbs and is easily removed if it came down to a blown tire. Also, in the future, my spare tire will go on the roof rack as it won't fit below.

Posted Image

I used a 1/4 inch piece of birch plywood for the base to give it structure. Then added 3/4 inch pine for the sides and 1/2 birch for the top. I then put in lower braces for the smaller 3inch side piece that gives stability to the slider. I also used a 3/8 spacer between the middle side and the slider. The slider is 16 inch pine shelving with 100lb 24inch slider. The whole unit is wrapped in Lowes outdoor dark grey carpeting with Locktite spray adhesive that sticks well. I then spray painted the areas under the fridge slide that I couldn't us carpet on.

Overall, I am quite happy with it and can't wait to test it on our trip to Death Valley.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 873 posts
That looks Sweet.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

stevenmd

stevenmd

NCLR008

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

That looks Sweet.

x2!!
Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
That looks really nice. Professional piece of work. You might want to add some sort of hold-down for the fridge because it will tend to bounce around on the trail. I just use bungie cords to tie mine to the floor tie-downs.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

That looks really nice. Professional piece of work. You might want to add some sort of hold-down for the fridge because it will tend to bounce around on the trail. I just use bungie cords to tie mine to the floor tie-downs.

I purchased the ARB tie downs froml from Expedition Exchange this weekend. They attach to the handle and I will secure them to the slide.
http://www.arb.com.a...ge/10900010.jpg
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Very nice. Wait until you see my packing system -- the milk crates stacked to the sky..
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Very nice... Might need to pick your brain over a pint!
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Thanks. I am surprised at how 'finished' it actually looks. I wasn't quite sure how the carpet was going to lay and it looks better than my expectations.

Like many projects, most of the work is in the planning. I read through all the drawer/storage designs on ExPo and took a bunch of measurements. I then started some plans. Then took more measurements of the ARB and storage bins and revised everything. Then I mocked up some cardboard boxes and fit them in the truck. That step was very helpful because I was able to measure out exactly how low the ARB had to go because the rear glass on the RR has such a dramatic slope. The disco is straighter and is higher to the roof so the fridge could be raised off the floor more. Not so on the RR. So, more revisions to the sketches. Finally, I bought the wood and supplies and started working... would love to discuss details over a pint. even better in the middle of the desert near a campfire...

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Looks great!

Gives me ideas for a something similar I want to do in the back of the my RRC. Thanks for posting.

Posted Image

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
Definitely looks nice!

Mine is in progress right now. I removed my back seats a long time ago and have moved towards sleeping in the back rather than setting up a tent and kitchen area and then tearing it down again the next morning, so my unit is full length with storage underneath, including one long drawer that's also my kitchen. Hope to have it finished Monday or Tuesday, I've got a friend who owns a cabinet shop and we're building it there as his time allows. Using all cabinet-grade materials so it'll be light but strong. I originally had ideas of covering it like you did yours, but the cabinet wood is pre-finished and looks great so I think I'll just leave it as is for the time being.

Edited by TigerDan, 17 April 2011 - 10:27 PM.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Nice. The carpeting works well, but I have had to 're-spray' a few areas as they didn't stick as well the first time. You really need to saturate it with the spray on adhesive to get it to stick well. The few areas I re-did are holding well. I have added d-rings and the ARB tie down and it is now finished. I will see how it works on the DV trip this weekend.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
That's some sexy looking cargo area! nice job Ted! I'm guessing Antonio is going to ask me to build one some time here soon. LOL. Like always. I need to know why you have those sections going across the bottom of the drawer and how you have the drawer from slidding into the tail gate on take offs? Is that block of carpeted wood off to the side the stopper you made to keep things from moving around?

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Thanks. It works quite well for me. The only major thing I would like to upgrade is to build a platform that goes over the fridge to have a shelf above the fridge that is stationary. Right now, I put my sleeping pads on the fridge so they are easy to remove, but it is not ideal. I may try to tackle this before Death Valley, but I have a bunch of projects to get done as well.

Yes, the carpet covered piece of wood fits perfectly in the gap between the slider and the tailgate to keep the slide from moving around. I contemplated some type of latch or locking mechanism, but then realized this block of wood with carpeting wrapped around itworks the best b/c it is the same height, won't rattle and is super simple. Another great bonus of the carpeted wood is that when the slide is pulled all the way out and the fridge is loaded, it stresses the slides a bit. I squeeze the block of carpeted wood underneath and it gives it support and keeps the fridge extended out in case you are on a slope. A great benefit I discovered after it was installed.

The sections going across under the slider were reinforcement for the low right side (passenger) section that holds the slider in place. I didn't feel it had enough strength just being attached to the 1/4 plywood. In hindsight, I would probably build a full wall up and over the fridge on that right side to have a separate shelf and you would'nt need the reinforcements.

I got all the materials from Lowe's and it didn't cost too much to make.

A few things to consider:
The fridge needs to be as low as possible in the P38 b/c the slope of the rear window will hit the top of the fridge.
I chose an open left storage area b/c I didn't know how I was going to pack everything and building a drawer was just too much work for my first attempt.
Use the super strength spray-on adhesive for the carpet as my first attempt started to separate after some heat.

A few pics showing the ARB tie-down kit:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Teds, 12 February 2012 - 08:50 PM.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I didn't think about the sagging slide for the fridge either. I'm glad you had that figured out. Seems like you just need to perfect your invention. I did the same for my tire carrier. The first one is trial and error. The second is practice and perfection. After seeing this system I think more people are going to steel your ideas. I might as well do the same. Why reinvent the wheel? Thank you Ted. Very nice set up! I'll let you know when I get started. I have two people asking me about this. Antonio and Nick... it's funny really.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Go for it! It is a pretty basic design. I think I used 1/4 baltic birch plywood for the bottom piece with 1/2 pine shelving for the side and 1/4 for the top again. I also used the indoor/outdoor carpet found at Lowe's in a dark gray which matches my interior pretty well. They have other colors as well. Again, use the highest strength 3M spray-on you can find and saturate the carpet pretty well. Don't forget to cut-out a hole for the CD changer if you use it. I just used a handsaw and a bunch of small wood screws and wood glue. The wood glue really gives the joints strength.

I think these were the slides I used: 24 inch 100lb:
http://www.lowes.com...ce|1&facetInfo=

Ideally, I would use stronger slides, but again, this was 'proof of concept'. Also, these slides were $19 and the higher strength slides are $80 up to $200! If/when these break, I will upgrade. Some of the expensive slides also have a locking mechanism.

Good luck. Its very convenient to have the slider and I highly recommend it.

You can pay me royalties with a beer on the trail...

Edited by Teds, 14 February 2012 - 09:32 AM.

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I really like your system Ted. I am going to get something build for my P38. I don’t know if I will have this done before the Death Valley trip but I will try to get the fridge slider at least.

I don’t drink but I will be happy to get you some beer. What kind do you drink?

I got my safety devise roof rack yesterday. I will get it install sometime this week. Did you get the ladder for your rack? I was able to score the latter along with the roof rack but I am not sure if I will be using it. I plan to put my roof top tent on it and may not have much used for it or maybe on the way when opening the rooftop tent. Let me know if you have use for it.

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Don't worry about the beer, I was just joking around...

I got a ladder from a guy 'Scotty' on the rangerovers.net website. He sells used P38 parts and makes a few new parts. He is the same guy that had the aluminum radiator made. He was actually extremely generous and gave me a ladder after I had to wait close to 4 months for the radiator, but he sells them for a very reasonable price. They are exact copies of the genuine ladders.

But, it sounds like you have a ladder. If you install it, you need to drill into the body...not for the feint of heart. And if you have a roof-top tent, then you may want to hold off initially. Also, you will need new rear hatch struts as I am sure your current ones won't hold the extra weight of the ladder. Thanks for the offer though.

I will be curious as to how you mount your tent to the SD rack. I drool every time I see a RTT.

I am getting excited about Death Valley. Only 6 more weeks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users