Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Happens in Vegas - Stays in Vegas? Lol.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Yes, I have being to death valley many times. I have gone up the Lippencott grade a few time and I know the trailer will have no issue going through this trail.. I know it will also make it through Steel Pass with no problem.

I have never being through Goler Wash or Mengel Pass. I have seeing a few videos and pictures of some of the hard parts of these trails and they don't look more difficult than the the Lippencott grade. You being through these trails. Do you think Goler Wash or Mengel Pass are more difficult than Lippencott grade?

AA

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Sorry forgot to add my info.

Probably be just myself.

D2, 3" lift, 33" tires, HD F/R bumpers, winch w/ recovery kit, Hi-Lift, HD tie rod & drag link, CB (will have HAM radio to monitor, hopefully license by then too)

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Yes, I have being to death valley many times. I have gone up the Lippencott grade a few time and I know the trailer will have no issue going through this trail.. I know it will also make it through Steel Pass with no problem.

I have never being through Goler Wash or Mengel Pass. I have seeing a few videos and pictures of some of the hard parts of these trails and they don't look more difficult than the the Lippencott grade. You being through these trails. Do you think Goler Wash or Mengel Pass are more difficult than Lippencott grade?

AA

Antonio, the book for part of our route this year describes Echo Pass as one of the most difficult parts. The author says:

"stop and scout the route on foot before attempting...this Class V pitch should not be under estimated. I would not recommend that the drivers of pickups or long wheelbase vehicles attempt these dry falls. When I last scouted this route, a Jeep CJ5 with large tires went up and down the obstacle with ease; however, a Land Rover got hung up on the rocks and its driver had to winch himself..."

The book is from 2006. Just something to consider.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Antonio, the book for part of our route this year describes Echo Pass as one of the most difficult parts. The author says:

"stop and scout the route on foot before attempting...this Class V pitch should not be under estimated. I would not recommend that the drivers of pickups or long wheelbase vehicles attempt these dry falls. When I last scouted this route, a Jeep CJ5 with large tires went up and down the obstacle with ease; however, a Land Rover got hung up on the rocks and its driver had to winch himself..."

The book is from 2006. Just something to consider.

Yes, that is our toughest obstacle, but I've heard it described as not much harder than Mengel. Never done it -- but I'm confident we can get rigs through it even if they are stock. We may need a winch line or a tug strap.

Here is the video that shows various types of rigs. It looks like an offroad trailer could make it to me...

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Good Video, I don't think I will have problems making it through here with my trailer. If I have issues, i can always get myself winch out. I am more concern about my car making through here than the actual trailer. If the H2 made it through, i don't see why any land rover would not make it.

I will bring some fire wood, do we need to get a fire permit?

AA

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

John Muir

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
I looked a few weeks ago for this year's fire permit. Didn't see one so I just changed the date to 2012 and printed a few.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Yes, that is our toughest obstacle, but I've heard it described as not much harder than Mengel. Never done it -- but I'm confident we can get rigs through it even if they are stock. We may need a winch line or a tug strap.

Here is the video that shows various types of rigs. It looks like an offroad trailer could make it to me...

Good video. Looks a little tight around that first corner, but that jeep that needed a winch had tires that looked pretty bald... and it is a jeep... the stock H2 and FJ made it no problem. Can't wait to tackle it!
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Kevin - can you check out this thread --http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119852 and figure out how to snag the Death Valley waypoints file this guy is talking about from GPXchange?

I think this would be good starting point. What is a good mapping software that you use? Garmins? If so, maybe we could start sharing files.

Chuck...sent you some info on this via e-mail. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Replied to email. We will need to be careful with fires in Death Valley National Park proper. They aren't allowed except in "existing firepits". So some of our campsites may need to go without a fire.

If someone has room, and can haul a nice charcoal BBQ that we could use, that might be beneficial. We could maybe get away with using it as our small firepit in certain spots...
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
Antonio, my only concern with pulling a trailer is that we may (and almost certainly will) encounter some very tight places in the trail where you might have trouble getting the trailer through. Remember that when you are pulling a trailer, you have to swing wider on the turns so that the trailer doesn't wind up jammed against the inside of the turn as it will track tighter around the turn than the Rover needs to. This can mean that sometimes you won't be able to choose exactly the line that you'd prefer, or that in extreme situations you may wind up with the trailer jammed up and the only way around the obstacle is to unhitch the trailer and manhandle or winch it around the obstacle, then hook it back up. Depending on how many tight switchbacks and turns there are in the trail, you might very well wind up cursing that trailer by the end of the day. Or it may be not problem...we don't know this trail, (or several of the trails we'll be taking) so we just have no way of knowing if it's going to be a problem or not. We might need to go onto one of the DV sites and simply ask the oldtimers who are familiar with the area about towing a trailer over the proposed roads/routes and follow their recommendations.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
I signed up on Death-Valley.net a few nights ago. There is a post about Ward Walter's and Bob Calkin's cabin and there is supposed to be a Google Earth image with directions to it from Henry Wade Rd. I can't find the image in GE, and posted a question about directions to the Cabin. We'll see if anyone responds, seems like a slow forum.

I also ordered the DV map Chuck posted a link to from Amazon last night. I'm looking forward to pinning it on the wall and checking out our route(s).

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Good to know that fires are not allow outside the camp sites, so i won't bring much fire wood. I may still bring a few logs just in case.

I respect everyone's input in me bringing my off road trailer. I definitely don't want to be a burden on this trip. Since not many of us have gone through these trails and don't know what to expect. I will leave the trailer behind this time. We will know for next year.

How much water and gas is everyone taking? I plan to take 10gal of fuel and about 20 gal of water. 10 gal for cooking and washing and 10gal for a quick shower. I will fill out my water jugs in Trona so i don't have to carry all the water all the way.

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

John Muir

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I'm not to be able to make the trip but I have a propane powered campfire that is pretty good. Would need 2-3 5 gal tanks for the trip. I'd be willing to loan it out. I hate camping without a campfire.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
I'm taking 10 gal of fuel and a 5 gal NATO water can along with a flat of water bottles too. With the trip being in early April should the temps be pretty mild during the day, and chilly at night?

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

I signed up on Death-Valley.net a few nights ago. There is a post about Ward Walter's and Bob Calkin's cabin and there is supposed to be a Google Earth image with directions to it from Henry Wade Rd. I can't find the image in GE, and posted a question about directions to the Cabin. We'll see if anyone responds, seems like a slow forum.

I also ordered the DV map Chuck posted a link to from Amazon last night. I'm looking forward to pinning it on the wall and checking out our route(s).

Thats the one. Keep the dates of our trip a secret. We don't want to be beat out by some of those guys. I do already have detailed directions and GPS coordinates to the cabin. Our first trip, we got beat out to a couple cabins cause some guy was reading our forum while he was doing trip planning -- and left a day early so he got the prime spots...
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

I'm not to be able to make the trip but I have a propane powered campfire that is pretty good. Would need 2-3 5 gal tanks for the trip. I'd be willing to loan it out. I hate camping without a campfire.

I like that idea. Not sure who would have the room to haul it... but that would be great.... Can anyone from Livermore work with Chris to borrow?
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Good to know that fires are not allow outside the camp sites, so i won't bring much fire wood. I may still bring a few logs just in case.

I respect everyone's input in me bringing my off road trailer. I definitely don't want to be a burden on this trip. Since not many of us have gone through these trails and don't know what to expect. I will leave the trailer behind this time. We will know for next year.

How much water and gas is everyone taking? I plan to take 10gal of fuel and about 20 gal of water. 10 gal for cooking and washing and 10gal for a quick shower. I will fill out my water jugs in Trona so i don't have to carry all the water all the way.

Each person should bring enough logs for one nights fire. We will be camping on BLM land for parts of our trip -- they allow us to have fires...
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Yeah I remember you posting that those people snaked your sites. I didn't post any questions that gave away dates or even who we are. Your secret is safe with me Chuck.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
1 gallon per person per day is a good reference for your water. I'm bringing 10 gallons of water (for my family) and also water bottles, etc. Note that there will be places along the way for us to refill our water -- so bring nice bottles, etc..

As far as weather goes -- it is unpredicatible. Could get into the 70's and 80's during the day, down to the 30's at night? Plan for wind, and maybe even rain/snow. We will be going from below sea level elevation all the way up to 7500 feet on this trek,
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

1 gallon per person per day is a good reference for your water. I'm bringing 10 gallons of water (for my family) and also water bottles, etc. Note that there will be places along the way for us to refill our water -- so bring nice bottles, etc..

As far as weather goes -- it is unpredicatible. Could get into the 70's and 80's during the day, down to the 30's at night? Plan for wind, and maybe even rain/snow. We will be going from below sea level elevation all the way up to 7500 feet on this trek,

Wind was crazy ridiculous last year. Our tent fly was not the kind that goes all the way to the ground so the wind caught it one night and flipped the tent over with our 11 year-old daughter and all of our stuff still inside. We had to guy the tent down to our Rovers a few times.

We brought 14 gals of water plus some frozen water bottles for our family of 5 last year.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users