Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

D90 roof rack options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I have my trailer, which I debate wether to keep or not. I wish it was a bit different and therefore more useful, but.....at least it has a VIN, plate and the tongue could be moved to a new unit...so I am more than half way there!

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
You should fix it. It 's only metal.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

I have my trailer, which I debate wether to keep or not. I wish it was a bit different and therefore more useful, but.....at least it has a VIN, plate and the tongue could be moved to a new unit...so I am more than half way there!

Also if you need some work done let me know. I'll hook you up. I will take it to my place and fix it up to your specs. And if you need a trailer to barrow till then I can lend you mine in that time. I might just pick up one of those Tepui tents for this trailer some time in the future. Well as long as the price is right too.

Hey check out this video.... interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xI9qSnmpDTk#!

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
"mad dogs and englishmen"

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Hey check out this video.... interesting

Wowwww, they must be 52's on that thing ..... (the tractor) .... anyone get the "Blue Peter" reference? I doubt that any non-Brits understood that.

Brits do like their "caravans" though .... try this one . Top gear would be proud!

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Wow... I thought I would of gotten it right in one of these forums... I misspelled the title both times... Oh man. And I was told by Antonio that I posted this in the Members section only. I didn't know why I didn't catch any of these. My bad.

Anyway. I got to some point where I need to get this finished sooner. I started this two days ago.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

After showing off some welds and painting it

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i591.photobuc...0627_205907.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Posted Image

It all fits and now I can move this around and not need my jack stands. I'm heading to the storage to start the gates today. I had the day off from work.

JamesF

JamesF

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Nice work Pedram!
Jim Fox
'92 RRC "Chelsea"

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Thank you James.

The story continues....

I bought more steel and went to town.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Got these for free and found good use for them

Posted Image

The idea now is to make a frame and build the sides.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i591.photobuc...0629_224955.jpg

Next is to do both sides and paint. Then possibly a rear ramp. ?? Who knows. I might do something crazy and build a lift gate..... HAHAHAHAH

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Ideas anyone?

click on this picture and let me know what you think

Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Ideas anyone?

For the supports, rather than legs, go for some 'telescopic' tube-in-tube pull-out supports. Basically weld a tube horizontally under the main part and have a tube inside that that pulls out (and stops on a screw that you have tapped in to the end of it). One on each end. Hard to explain, but you see it on RVs quite a lot for tables and things.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

For the supports, rather than legs, go for some 'telescopic' tube-in-tube pull-out supports. Basically weld a tube horizontally under the main part and have a tube inside that that pulls out (and stops on a screw that you have tapped in to the end of it). One on each end. Hard to explain, but you see it on RVs quite a lot for tables and things.

Regards,

Graeme

Something like this?

http://www.bettymill...ered Steel Legs

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Or something like this?
http://www.thule.com...inum-Truck-Rack

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Updates.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
i5xIyCIkfYs&feature=plcp
http://johngiordani.smugmug.com/Trucks/NCLR-August-MORG-Hollister/24568690_hV5trm#!i=2006757161&k=hPP9JfW <---- check out my trailer at 2:21

Edited by Pedram, 30 August 2012 - 10:31 PM.

SamO

SamO

Sam (NCLR Member)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Looks great pedram! Congrats.

2013 LR2
Bull bar, roof rack, curt tow hitch, portable winch, 265/60R17 general grabbers, front & rear skid plates, front tow hitch receiver, and mantec rear access ladder.

1995 Defender (for sale)
Sliders, 8,000 LB WARN, Old Man Emu, Skid plates, ARB air lockers, lift, badger top.

2005 LR3

Latest project.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Thanks again for the kind words.

I'm trying to get everything ready for the Pismo trip on September 21. Both the trailer and the head gaskets on the discovery. We will rent ATV's on Saturday and go all around the dunes. I'm more of the crazy one that does crazy things on the quad. So I'm renting the 400. The wife and her sister are just going to ride normally. But I'll push them to go up and down some steep hills.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
During my little pismo trip I broke my axle on the beach.... So I'm redoing the axle with another. I just realized I still have a Toyota axle sitting I got it for free and I'm now needing an axle... I was thinking of buying a Land Rover axle from someone for dirt cheap and figured why not just put a Toyota axle under it in the mean time. I have a brand new 3,500 # trailer axle with the same 6 on 6.5 bolt pattern with electric brakes but would hate to use it on this one. I'm going to use the stock axle for this small trailer and just build another one that is worth the electric brakes later.

I have a spare set of wheels for both. So this trailer is going Toyota for now. If anyone needs a trailer for their Toyota for camping this will be for sale soon. I'm not planning on keeping it much longer since I have bigger plans now that I'm out of my 4 Runner and driving my 4.2 5 speed D1. Oh man this thing is a beast.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Dude, I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW
yeah i got one...no not really. well not yet. a friend of mine recently picked one up and asked me about roof rack options so i told him i'd look into it. i know about the SD racks and voyager. anyone else? incidentally, this same friend goes thru cars like crazy so he'll tire of this soon and i'll swoop it off his hands. i figure i might as well put a rack on it that i like :-)

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

CNelson

CNelson

Crystal (NCLR Member)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Do it!
1997 Land Rover Defender 90 NAS Hard Top