Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SD rack re-coat with POR-15

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Hey all,

I am in need of some transport of some rover parts from the roverdude's place in fullerton northward. I am in sacramento so anywhere close would be great. I was hoping someone would be making a trip soon and wouldn't mind hauling some larger parts for a few $. Jonathan, aka The Chef, on these forums, has graciously donated a set of D2 seats to keep my wife's buns warm and my life more comfortable. I need to figure out how to get a full set of D2 seats, front and back, to norcal. I don't have any business in LA and wasn't planning on visiting any time soon. So if you're making the journey all the way or part of it, and want some of your fuel sponsored, maybe we can work something out. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I may be able to help you out if Chef can get the parts in towards LA. He does not exactly live IN LA you know.

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Might want to PM Discochef aka Enrique owner of Mexxis; he is in S. Cal this wknd and planning to drive up to the Bay Area tomorrow Sunday; see if he has room and willing take a few $.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Awww stink. I didn't see this until just now. It looks like Mike might be able to help me out. What a guy!

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Awww...sorry, wish I'd seen this before I left. Was in LA this past Sunday.

hope you find a ride

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Thanks Mike. Seats made it up to NorCal on sunday night. It was a late night and early monday morning at work but now I have some work to do. Thanks for all who were willing to help.

Jason

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
Glad to be able to assist Jason. And starting in Livermore at 5 am with the kids and finally getting to sleep at 1230 after coming home and getting the Disco ready for the wife...I understand that long day too!

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
The front of my SD rack has had some rust issues over the past few years. It's hasn't been too bad, so I have just used a wire brush and Rustoleum rattle can. It's good for the short term, but I'm ready for a long term solution, and getting it re-powder coated wasn't something I wanted to do. After the powder coat is removed I'll prep it with Marine Clean (degreaser) and Prep & Ready (etches the steel), then cover it with POR-15, and finally a top coat of semi gloss Chassis Coat.

Currently, I've spent 2 full days just removing the powder coating using a drill and wire wheel, and there's at least another full day of grinding before it's all removed. It's a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end. The mounting brackets are sitting in a foil lasagne tray full of brake fluid. Tomorrow morning (when it's been 24 hrs.) I'll test scrape one with a screwdriver to see how easily the powder coat comes off. Once the powder coating is gone, they will be sprayed down with brake cleaner before prepping the bare metal. For the feet, I have 8 plastic mixing bowls (picked up at the paint store) that are a perfect fit. I'll place each foot of the rack in a bowl and fill them with brake fluid. This is about the only way I can think of to remove the powder coat without a media blaster.

Here are some pics of the process so far. Once the powder coat is removed the rest of the work should go pretty quickly.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Great job Brenton so far.

The POR-15 I used to coat the flooring of my RRC is still holding, and no sign of rust (that was back in 2009).

POR-15 should hold up well on your SD rack.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Thanks Ron.

The brake fluid didn't do much overnight. There was some minor wrinkling on one of the brackets (which was probably dirt), but the screw driver didn't remove anything. I'm going to Lowe's in search of aircraft stripper, and if they don't have it I'll see if City Paints carries the POR-15 paint remover tomorrow.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

...the screw driver didn't remove anything. I'm going to Lowe's in search of aircraft stripper.

Only if Jim can hook us all up again w/the laser demo... Remember that. Perfect for hard to remove, and/or access areas.

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Looks kike a good project, Brenton. It's tough getting that old powder coat off if the rust hasn't gotten under it yet. That laser that Jim's guys was great but I wound up breaking it with my rear ladder project. Hopefully the POR-15 will adhere better than the powder coat and will be a tough surface that lasts longer.

I'm sure what you are using is probably better but I've been using a process I learned from my roofer a few years ago. I wipe the bare metal surface with white distilled vinegar and let it dry. It removes finger grease and cleans the metal. Rustoleum sticks like glue after that treatment and it's cheap!

Good luck on your project.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Thanks Brian. I used the white vinegar technique on the Greg Davis bumper. It was kind of a rush job when painting and rust is coming through in certain spots. It may be next...

I'll post pics later, but I found Jasco, a paint and epoxy remover. It's a gel (much like snot) that sits for 15 minutes and makes the powder coat lift off. It took about 3 coats to really work, and even then some of the p/c remained almost untouched. It's back to the wire wheel, but where the Jasco was it's coming off easier.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Here are the pics from today.

Here's my take on using the Jasco. It's still a pita, there's no way around it when removing a powder coat finish. Some sections just didn't seem to be affected by the Jasco where other places stripped it to the bare metal. Overall it took (on average) 2 coats to get through the p/c and another to get through the primer. There was a lot of scrubbing with a scour pad after the stuff did its magic. I would highly recommend using a power washer instead of the scour pad. My house has no water pressure so this part wasn't fun.

The Jasco was good to help weaken the powder coat, but in the end I'll need to go over everything with the wire wheel. Tomorrow should finally be the last day of the powder coat removal process.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
The rack is looking really good now. Some of the feet and corners still have powder coat, mainly because the drill has access issues. I'm going to try the angle grinder and a smaller wire wheel tomorrow for those areas. It should only be about a half day to get the feet and mounting brackets to bare steel. Here are some progress pics.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Before you paint this, get some Denatured Alcoholhttp://www.lowes.com...oductId=3063669 with a terry cloth and get all the impurities out before applying paint. Then use a base coat for bare metal for the new paint to stick to better. That's how they paint cars at body shops.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Also for rust removal use these...

http://www.lowes.com...oductId=1100899
http://www.lowes.com...heel&facetInfo=

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
The rack is finally bare metal! Using the angle grinder worked great. The 8 brackets only have powder coat on the backside, the fronts and sides are clear. Tomorrow I'll get them finished and start to clean the metal, then get it ready for paint. I didn't get any pics since it was dark when I finished working.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I'll take over from here! I'm going to send the 8 brackets over today after work to see if they will bead blast it for you. I'll pick up some 1 inch round tube as well to finish up the bent rear bars before you start to paint it. I'll try to finish those tonight.

It rained so hard that day I took the rack from you! Man I'm sorry it got pretty wet. I'll try to clean up the rust as much as possible before I give it back to you.

Edited by Pedram, 19 March 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Thanks a ton Pedram! Also thanks for working on the shock towers. They might come in handy sooner than I thought. I'm getting a set of 3" RTE springs with only 5K miles on them. These were sold by the person who bought the 5" springs from Gadd.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users