Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SD rack re-coat with POR-15

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I'll be looking for a set of those after the head work is done. I need to clear 33's.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Man getting those brackets sand blasted was great. The guy did charge $20 like I said. And he even said there might be some one local guy who can blast the entire rack as well. I don't know how much he charges though. I might look into that later this week. If your interested I'll take your track there to finish it off. I did get most if the black spots out. And the bent bars are straight now. But I never welded up the legs yet. I bought metal for them and cut one out to test fit it but it was short. I'll cut them longer tonight and weld it up. Hopefully I'm done by then. I tried to get most of the new rust out but there all over. I think most of out might come out with an scotch pad and some elbow grease. I got your legs done in a box from the bead blaster. But not finished.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Awesome Pedram! No need to get the rack blasted, if needed I'll get the rest off. Post a pic with the new legs welded up when you get a chance. I can't wait to see it!

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
Pedram has finished working on the rack and it looks great! The rear upper tubes were straightened and he added 4 short upright crossbars on the back section. The 8 mounting feet were media blasted since the powder coat was still very strong on the backside. I'm picking it up tomorrow and hope paint on Friday, we'll see how the weather holds up.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Here you go Brenton.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
Haha posted during the same minute, nice. Looks like I'll need to cut some notches in the flooring to fit around the new legs.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

sasquatch

sasquatch

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
That's looking suspiciously like a pre-fab yard Pedram....hmmmm

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3
That looks great .I like the added reinforcements.Now my to do list just got bigger.

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I don't know who "pre-fab" is but yeah it's me P-fab. :)
I didn't take any pictures if the blasted legs. It was a blast! I'm blasted!

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

That looks great .I like the added reinforcements.Now my to do list just got bigger.

If only I had my disco up. I will add that to my list as well. Thank Breton for this.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Oh.... Brenton.... lets see it mounted!!! I like what you have done with the bars. You were right to add two supports to each side. It actually works well with the SD rack design. I'm glad you liked the final result. It was a pain to fix all the little minor rusty patches. I didn't think they would be so bad since there were powder coated and made professionally.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
On Friday the rack got the Marine Clean, then Prep and Ready treatment. It was pretty straight forward, just be sure to wipe off the excess residue from the Prep and Ready once dry. After the rack was dry the first coat of POR15 was applied. It goes on pretty well and self levels like a dream. Here are some tips to using this paint.

1. After opening the lid, immediately use pieces of tape around the rim. If any paint is on the lip when stored, you won't be able to remove the lid next time.
2. Definitely use another container for painting. This is when having the tape around the rim is good. Use a small cup to fill you paint container, and you won't have to worry about dripping paint on the lip.
3. Wear gloves! If you get this stuff on your hands it'll stay there for weeks. I did find that heavy scrubbing with a green Scotch pad will remove paint (got some on me during cleanup) but it tears up your skin. If it's totally dry this may not work.

However there were a few hiccups.

I filled a smaller plastic container to dip the brush into, the last bit of paint was a little frothy (I guess) and the bubbles didn't pop. The paint dried with a rough surface in these areas (the paint is normally glossy and very smooth). The other issue is that some of the paint ran down the tubing after I went inside and dried lumpy. I've emailed the makers of POR 15 about these two issues in hope there's a somewhat easy fix.

Here are some updated pics. I don't have any of the trouble areas, but will get some before my next step.

Edited by Disco2Guy, 24 March 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Wow! Nice!

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
Small update for today. I got a chance to address some of the drips and bubbles in the paint. I used a utility knife to remove the drips (thanks Pedram), and 320 grit sandpaper on the bubbles (recommended by the makers of POR-15).

The drips were like Rice Krispies on the inside and they were easy to cut off. The sandpaper worked pretty well to smooth out the paint. It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be but will take some time to get it where I want. A small block of wood under the sandpaper worked well to smooth the rougher areas and saved some wear on my fingers. No pics now, but I'll get some after the sanding is complete.

Edited by Disco2Guy, 01 April 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 873 posts
I got to see that rack today. Where the Paint went on well it looked great, once Brenton gets the rough spots painted it will look better than new.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
Today the underside got the second coat of POR-15, and the Chassis Coat on top. It seemed thinner with more of a lacquer smell. It's already dry to the touch whereas the POR-15 stayed tacky for a longer time.

This round of painting I tried a 2" foam brush instead of the bristle hair. Initially I thought the foam brush could cause more bubbles, but so far there it's not too bad. The best thing about the foam brush is no loose hairs. Next time I will cover the top side of the rack. It was difficult to tell which sections were already covered with the Chassis Coat and which sections were still tacky with POR-15. Because of this, and the fact that the POR-15 is NOT UV stable, I will do a final coat of Chassis Coat in a rattle can. The fronts of the 8 mounting feet got a first coat of POR-15.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
The rack is finally finished, and on the truck! What a relief to finally have this project over with. The paint job isn't as perfect as I hoped, but it'll work. Now the real test is the long term durability of the POR-15 against ratchet straps, trees, and the sun. There are still a few drips that occurred when applying the 2nd coat of POR-15 and top coat, but I can live with it. For anyone considering this job, you'll want to allow plenty of time and space.

Here are some pics I just took out in the parking lot.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Now all you need to do is buy a few of my pelican cases to finish up the complete offroad project.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Congrats B! Thanks again for the good advice on my build. Cheers, TO

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Nice work B.

Worked well also for frame and floor board coating/rust preventive.

I powerwashed, and sanded the surface rust on the frame of my 1990 RRC; then painted it w/POR-15. So far so good, looking good! Then removed all the interior carpet, seats... and then painted POR-15 the floor. Put carpet and seats back. So far so good, solid product. No paint chipping. Paint really bonds to the metal.

I have one extra quart POR-15 in black (brand new in a can); retail cost $47.50 + tax + $7.95 shipping (close to $60 total). Willing to selling it to a club member for $40 and no shipping cost or tax (U pick it up next time we are @ Mexxis for lunch/dinner). Will post it in the for sale forum. PM me if interested. Thanks!

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users