Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

P38 Factory Winch Install Warn XD9000 CE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I bought a factory P38 winch tray and Warn XD9000 CE winch from a guy selling his P38 on craigslist a few weeks ago. I finally got around to installing it this weekend and of course, it took me much longer than expected. I also ran into a few differences from the factory instructions. The most notable being the bracket to hold the selenoid pack does not fit on a 2001 RR because the secondary air injection pump is right where the end of the bracket should be. The truck I took the winch off of was a 98 (GEMS) and had plenty of room there, right next to the fusebox. I mounted the selenoid pack underneath the fusebox and drilled an extra hole in the post holding the fusebox. It is a tight fit but seems to work and gives enough length to run the wires to the winch. The other issue I had was that I made the slats in the bumper too small (yes, you have to cut the bumper) and cutting the bumper while mounted to the truck is much harder than when it is off.The winch i got was in fantastic shape and the tray just had some minor surface rust. I spent some time cleaning it up and repainted it hammer finish black to match my sliders. We will see how long the finish will hold up. You can also still see some surface rust on the fairlead that I will bead blast in the future when I get a synthetic rope.

Some pics:
Bumper and brushbar removed:
Posted Image

Bumper for cut-outs:
Posted Image

Right bracket attached with wiring. The wiring was ultimately re-routed to the left and higher to come out near the front fans. The yellow plate is the Southdown front steering guard.
Posted Image

Left bracket attached:
Posted Image

Selenoid pack under the fusebox:
Posted Image

Winch installed!
Posted Image

with the factory front winch cover:
Posted Image

The front cover is missing a few of the spring bolts for attachment. If anyone knows where I can get some, I would appreciate it. I will go to Lowe's but they don't look common and with all things rover, they will probably be impossible to find.

I will try and get some pics in the light. I finally finished about 10pm last night!
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Nice work. Where did you install the remote wire control outlet eg dash, hood?

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
The remote winch control is only used when I am using the winch. There is a connection on the left side of the winch that I hook into and the remote has a cord about 15? feet or so. It is not always connected and there is no wireless control, not that I would trust a wireless control in the field.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Nice... What spring clips are you talking about?

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Looks good Ted. Did that take some of your approach angle or is level to the fog lights? Will check it out in DV.

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Did your P38 have any withdrawals or rejection issues since this was not an ARB product? ;P
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Ha! Its not ARB, but it is factory OEM. The only ARB component I have is my beloved fridge...

Yes, it does take away a bit of approach angle as it sticks out under the bumper. But I feel the benefits of a winch out-weigh the loss in departure angle.

I will take a pic of the spring/clips soon. It is a bolt that goes through the plastic cover and then screws into this spring/clip attached to the winch tray. Hard to describe, but simple tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users