Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hidden Winch Installed on LR4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Y'all,

I finally found the prize I won at the Annual Event. It is a Wing Top Shovel Mount Kit; Rovers North part RNA691MK. I don't need it. Anyone want it? If not; I guess it can go back to the club for the next event....

Drew

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Y'all,

I finally found the prize I won at the Annual Event. It is a Wing Top Shovel Mount Kit; Rovers North part RNA691MK. I don't need it. Anyone want it? If not; I guess it can go back to the club for the next event....

Drew

I will take it Drew; let me know how much you want for it; thanks for offering it back.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Ron,

It was taken about 30 minutes before you posted, sorry. If it changes, I will PM you.
Drew

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
No worries.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco
Hi there!

Just thought I'd post some pic's of the D44 hidden winch I installed...

It was kind of a PITA, bumper skin was pulled off and on about 30 times to cut and trim in order to make a perfect fit. The winch tray and bumper seem to be well fabricated and extremely sturdy.
'96 Disco SE White

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Hey Nigel,

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, it came out awesome. Wow, it definitely looked like quite a job. I hate seeing all these cool accessories because I want them all. LOL!

Looking forward to seeing it in person sometime soon.

Are you heading to the May MORG? I am definitely going, as I want to try out my new tires!

-David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Nigel, That is about the coolest looking install I've seen. I am a huge fan these installs where you retain the OEM appearance while adding the the new functionality. Looks great!!

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
Very tiddy DIY.. I need to see up close with regards to access to clutch

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

sasquatch

sasquatch

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude. B)

Jen

Jen

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
very nice.
Jen
LR3 2008
Now with a Baja Rack! Bigger Tyres! Sas Rods! RS Sliders!

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Great job!

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Very clean indeed. Are you going to add any recovery points up front? Who makes the winch tray?
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco
Thanks for all of the positive feedback from everyone! This is a project that I wanted to do for a while and i'm glad I did go with the hidden winch setup.

Very tiddy DIY.. I need to see up close with regards to access to clutch

Access to clutch release... we will have to talk...

Very clean indeed. Are you going to add any recovery points up front? Who makes the winch tray?

Only recovery point will be the factory loop on the lower crossmember.To be honest if you look closely at my winch tray you will notice four round bumps in the front. These are what is left of the recovery loops that come with the bumper which I elected to cut off. I did not like the way that they would finish through the bumper skin, plus I would have to disable the parking sensors and I really wanted to keep the winch as discreet as possible. The winch tray is made by Devon 4x4 out of the UK.
'96 Disco SE White

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
Great Work!! I love the look.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

Karl

Karl

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
From where did you buy it? Lucky8?
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 SE (still naked)

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco

From where did you buy it? Lucky8?

Yep.
'96 Disco SE White

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
you and perkins should get together and put together that winch with the rear tire carrier. thats looks really good!

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

JPerkins

JPerkins

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Nigel,

Looks fantastic! I must have gone back and forth 100 times when I was trying to decide between the ARB Bumper w/winch, the Devon bumper and hidden winch tray, and the Front Runner hidden winch tray.

Where do you plug in your wired winch controller? ...or did you go with a wireless set up?
2008 LR3 HSE w/LUX, Cold Climate, and HD (aka rear locker) Packages

Additions: ARB front bumper, Warn 9.5 XP w/synthetic rope, Rover Specialties Sliders, Traxide Dual Battery isolator w/marine link switch & dual rear outlets, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZs, Bajarack LR3 Standard Rack, IPF 960s w/factory driving light switch, GVIF w/front & rear cameras, G4 Ladder, Rear swing out tire carrier

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco

Where do you plug in your wired winch controller? ...or did you go with a wireless set up?

I located the plug in under the bumper??? Don't ask me what I was thinking, I need to relocate it to a more accessible location but have not figured it out yet...
'96 Disco SE White

JPerkins

JPerkins

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I located the plug in under the bumper??? Don't ask me what I was thinking, I need to relocate it to a more accessible location but have not figured it out yet...

I've seen guys that have used the Warn wireless kit on Smittybilt winches, so that is an option too....though it'll set you back another $130. Whatever you do, mount it a bit higher than under the bumper so it'll be less prone to getting submerged in water crossings.
2008 LR3 HSE w/LUX, Cold Climate, and HD (aka rear locker) Packages

Additions: ARB front bumper, Warn 9.5 XP w/synthetic rope, Rover Specialties Sliders, Traxide Dual Battery isolator w/marine link switch & dual rear outlets, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZs, Bajarack LR3 Standard Rack, IPF 960s w/factory driving light switch, GVIF w/front & rear cameras, G4 Ladder, Rear swing out tire carrier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users