Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hidden Winch Installed on LR4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Admittedly I have almost zero experience with winches (yet) but I was wondering about what Will, RovrFlo, had asked regarding access to the clutch. Assuming the free-spooling clutch is important (pulling out line?) and access to this important feature is a good thing... is there such a thing as a wireless clutch servo? I know of the wireless remote kits for the controller...very cool.. but is there hardened piece of motor driven gearing who's houseing would bolt directly to the specific winch, replaceing the clutch handle with an appropriate splined shaft etc.. plenty of power (12v big amps) available there, lots of torque-y motors out there... I think Nigel's install is super clean and Will got me thinking of the (functionality) expense. Access to the controller port too but that can be solved with existing wireless products...

Either way, I'm still impressed with the garage fortitude to take the front of his rig apart and the outcome looks great....

~N00b

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

NigelCowan

NigelCowan

Nigel (NCLR168)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 1996 Disco

I've seen guys that have used the Warn wireless kit on Smittybilt winches, so that is an option too....though it'll set you back another $130. Whatever you do, mount it a bit higher than under the bumper so it'll be less prone to getting submerged in water crossings.

Do you or anyone else have experience with the wireless controller for the winch? I'm just wondering if there is lag time from the remote to the winch? I'd hate to loose connection and have the winch continue to pull when you want it to stop etc. I just like the idea of a hard wired system.
'96 Disco SE White

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
Minimizing complexity and maximizing safety are key to any winching scenario. I prefer a hard wired controller to prevent inadvertent winch activation, but wireless may have certain advantages, ie. lone operator or operations necessitating positioning the operator beyond the reach of a wired controller.

Easy access to the clutch is vital to free spool the winch to allow fast deployment or to help clear any cable jambs or bunching

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users