Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

P38 Range Rover 12v accessory plug install

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Chuck, Are you either going to be down near my house or around yours tomorrow? I'll dig out the shelving in the AM and either bring it up or if you're in the area, can pick it up.

Send me an email or text to square it away.

Cheers, Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Hey Tom,
Unfortunately we loaded up both trucks with all the parts we had in our garage, so we have no room for the shelves.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Not sure we have room. Both rovers are loaded up big time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Just seeing this. No problem. I hope to dig them out tomorrow and will bring if I make it up on Sunday...

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
We are in the truck and on our way to Brenton's house. See you at 8!

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Tyler and Chuck are just about leaving now.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
Hey Dan et all! Hope you have fun today. Dan, i am in need of a wiper motor park switch. I can order one but dont know if it will be here before shaver. Its for a 2 speed wiper motor. Anyone have one I can buy? Looks like this:

Attached Files

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Good to hear your shop is coming along Dan! Can't make the wrenching day but sounds like fun.

Ditto. Not this wknd but perhaps next time.

Maybe before Enrique and the Baja crew heads-out to Mexico in late March, we can do another wrenching day. Glad to bring the margarator, and also pay your time Dan for a look over/inspection on my DII before our voyage to Baja.

As a side note, I'd like for you to also look at my CT110 2nd aux tank. No issue w/the main tank, but the 2nd tank seems the pump stopped working or could just b a wiring thing.

Used to work and nice to flip a switch and get an extra 10 gallon from the aux tank. Great to know that I can do (20 gal main + 10 gal on aux tax x 22-23 mpg diesel) non-stop from San Francisco to the Mexican border (smile) and maybe even push it all the way to Ensenada for the 1st stop for fuel (and Tequila).

Congrats again Dan on your business!

Edited by RON CT110, 25 January 2014 - 09:22 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
Looks like Trevor from the Rovah Farm is going to come through for me with the part I need. Thanks everyone! Crisis averted (for today)

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Hey Dan;

Thanks for hosting a Wrenching Day and opening up your shop to us... Erin and I got a bunch of things done with the help of your parts!

Photos of NCLR North Bay Wrenching Day, January 2014

Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I finally decided to do a proper installation and rewire of the rear accessory socket and add a few others before DV. I did an easy re-wire a few years ago to get full time power to the 12v accessory plug in the rear of my P38. Unfortunately, the factory wiring is just not robust enough to run the ARB fridge all the time. It would occasionally cut out power to the fridge due to voltage drop. The factory put the ignition switched 12v accessory plug in the rear of P38s from 2000 on, I believe. Mine is a 2000 Range Rover SE 4.6.

I ran 10g wire (I know it is the wrong color) from the battery through the firewall, under the carpet near the doors and into the rear. I then installed a Blue Sea 6 port fusebox for my electrical hookups and made a common ground to the chassis inside the panel. I was trying to figure out the best place to put the fusebox to make it accessible yet hidden. The gas release panel is a secure fit into the rear panel and looks to be up the job. I then installed dual West Marine 12v accessory plugs above the panel. They are a tight fit and I had to bend the tabs at the back of the plugs to clear the chassis, but they do fit. I rewired the factory accessory plug to the fusebox.

I then mounted my 120v inverter when I want to use it, I can plug it in. I didn't want to hardwire the inverter yet, but can in the future. I may also upgrade to a Hella style socket for the ARB fridge for a more secure plug which will be easy to install with the fusebox ready.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Nice and clean job! I did not hear you say that you also installed a 60 Amp fuse just before the battery terminal but I'm sure you did, right?

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
Nice set up Ted. I did something similar to my P38.

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Are you selling your P38?
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
I sold the P38 a few weeks ago. It was getting up there on miles and need something with lower miles to drive down to Mexico and visit family. I will be in the market looking for a newer RR with lower miles.

I did get a 1995 LWB which will be trail rig.

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
UPDATE:

After the Death Valley trip, I realized a few things...it is really hard to keep the 12v sockets plugged I n when u are flying over washboards and racing Colin through a streambed. I need to find some locking sockets or consider a Hella plug which I have heard seats better. The lower socket (stock LR) holds better than the upper ones but that may be due to gravity on the cords.

My inverter is not great and doesn't make a good connection even when stationary. I either need to hard wire it, get a new one or both.

When parked, it is great to have more sockets for charging batteries, etc.

My Goal0 Extreme350 rocks, but again, the 12v plug to keep it charged did not stay seated all the time. Need to figure out if I can hardwire or have an Anderson type plug.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Can you make something to hold the plug in? Like a clamp? That way you can spend less time fixing and more time paying.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I think I am going to buy another 12v plug for my ARB fridge and hardwire it directly to the BluSea fuse box. Then I know it will never get dislodged and I will have a spare pklug for other cars. We used it last weekend in the 4runner.

I have seen 'locking' 12v plugs and sockets which I may have to upgrade to. That requires cutting the existing 12v pkug and swapping. I may do that for the GoalZero 12v charger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users