Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Off road trailer in the future?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

That's about a 6 hour round trip in just driving. I don't know how you do that every time you come down. Crazy guy. I like the option but little far for me. I'll keep looking. Would he paint it my color if I have it ready?

His primary business is aircraft then custom cars. I didn't see a paint booth, but it could've been in another hangar.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Well I found this on Craigslist http://sfbay.craigsl...4087350886.html

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Hmmm. Flagged for removal???
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Well it worked last night. Weird.

TDeWitt

TDeWitt

Terry (NCLR129)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
If you click on the question mark, Craigslist claims add will be removed if they feel it is a commercial venture, multiple site postings, blah blah blah...
'03 DII, '04 CDL lock, 2" lift, performance rotors and pads, stainless brake lines, steelie rims w/Toyo M/T's, sliders. Rovertyme front bumber w/10k Superwinch, Custom rear bumper and custom rack in build process

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Okay for the past two days I put some work in on my Series bed trailer conversion. So here are some pictures ....

Day one. (the pick up day)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I have looked around to get some ideas of what the heck this looks like when it's all together and got some ideas.

Here is what it should look like.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I got it at home and I'm tearing it down to the skin and bones. I need to remove the body work and fix dents and paint.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also propped it up behind my truck to get an idea what I'm going to see.

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i591.photobuc...zps58b97b27.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Day two (much later than day one), I started getting into the moldings and removed about 30 pop-rivets.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

With a hammer and some sheet metal bending skills here is a before and after with bent trim.

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i591.photobuc...zpsbda3373a.jpg

So serious metal repairs are needed.

http://i591.photobuc...zpsae870997.jpg
http://i591.photobuc...zps57359ac0.jpg
http://i591.photobuc...zps8e3989d0.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Today was day three. I started more body work and less parts to remove. In fact I finished taking things off today. I have time to clean the surface and get it ready for paint.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have no idea what I'm going to put here but was thinking some space for spare fuel or clean drinking water.

http://i591.photobuc...zps9bc91e93.jpg
http://i591.photobuc...zpsf6b1c48a.jpg

These rails were from underneath the bed floor where it was rusted to the frame. Trash now.

http://i591.photobuc...zps7062aaeb.jpg
http://i591.photobuc...zps791e918c.jpg

That ended my day. I'm going to need some paint remover now. And figure out a clean way to fix the sides. I was thinking more diamond plating material about half way up all around. Maybe painted black?? Ideas?

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Can't see any of the pics here at work, but will look tonight. See if you can find some chequer plate instead of diamond plate. It'll look more Rover than Jeep that way;)

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
Brenton you mean 5 bar plate

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I picked up an M101A1 a couple months ago. I just finished re-working the hitch and deleteingnthe brakes. Going to start the rack for it so we can mount the tent. Pics to follow.
If you,dont mind driving to Barstow, GVT Liquidators sells these trailers cheap.

Hey Dino, How "cheap" is Cheap"? Thanks

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Thanks B. Now as far as color choices what do you think? As I was striping down the paint today I saw the aluminum shine through and it really popped at me. I might like to go two ways. First was my original plan to paint it close to the factory green. The other thought I had was get all the paint off and just do a clear coat over the bare metal. Leave the rough looking metal to be seen. But I like the green color best. Flat or glossy?

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Hey Dino, How "cheap" is Cheap"? Thanks

Hi Tom.... Welcome. Little late in the game huh? It's okay. LoL

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Hi Tom.... Welcome. Little late in the game huh? It's okay. LoL

Haha, just curious. I've seen the auction sites but was curious the comparable for sold units.

Your trailer project looks great!!

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Thanks B. Now as far as color choices what do you think? As I was striping down the paint today I saw the aluminum shine through and it really popped at me. I might like to go two ways. First was my original plan to paint it close to the factory green. The other thought I had was get all the paint off and just do a clear coat over the bare metal. Leave the rough looking metal to be seen. But I like the green color best. Flat or glossy?

I like the idea of the clear over bare metal, but I have come to a different conclusion. When out in the wilderness, there are definite reasons to want to be seen (to be located by friends, ER services, to be visible in pictures) and for that reason I will carry a mirror/light etc with me. BUT, I have found there are many reasons to be not seen...like when away from camp, when making a hasty exit from people I don't know, when I am taking a trail that I am unsure of permissive use. I have long thought that a "USFS Green" K Series Blazer/truck with some mild mods would be a great "leave me alone" truck, well except in Mendo where things are different.

I'd paint it green. If you never intend to wash/wax it, paint it flat and call it done!

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Haha, just curious. I've seen the auction sites but was curious the comparable for sold units.

Your trailer project looks great!!

Thanks Tom.

So a satin Hunter Green Mike?

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Oh man... I have some eye candy for your guys who are fallowing this thread. I have removed all paint and started fixing things that need attention... pretty much everything.

Since the NCLR shut down I have progressed pretty far. I'm very happy with my current project. Still undergoing surgery. But I'm doing the recovery of bodily parts that were missing. This is all an upgrade from where it was from day one.

With my friend and a lot of hard labor.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here you can see the red was layered over yellow then green and then the original green from Land Rover. I liked this color so much I took a paint sample in the store and found a match. Aspen green. I like it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

After a few days (about three full days of intense paint removing labor) I was able to see some light at the end. I feel more inspired to get to my goal now. The paint remover I was using was really not removing every layer. I had to let it marinade for an hour and then scrub it with a scotch pad and sometimes I had to get a metal blade scrapper on it.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Then the next night starts with more paint remover and labor. My arms are killing me. This is a serious work out. I opted out of doing a sand blasting for a few reasons. But wish I did some times.

Here it is....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Next day in sunlight. Oh what a difference.

Posted Image

So now I'm ready for my choices of steel. I'm looking and all I see is regular diamond plate. Nothing else.

Posted Image

Hidden under some stock shelves at the metal store I found this dimpled steel. I have never seen it before. Covered in dirt and some rusty spots for other steel being stored on top of it, I found my metal. At $3 a lbs this was going to be an expensive but new idea. I had to buy the whole sheet since I made their guy dig it out and weight it. I have a 109lbs sheet of dimpled stainless steel. I took it home and cleaned it up.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users