Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Installing LEDs on a 110

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Riddle me this...Lumen Wonder; Can old Hella lights be converted to HID and can the old plastic lenses handle the heat?
Do you have contacts in the world of luminocity where one may avail himself with such apparatuses?

hope you can help me iluminate the road to Baja

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Riddle me this...Lumen Wonder; Can old Hella lights be converted to HID and can the old plastic lenses handle the heat?
Do you have contacts in the world of luminocity where one may avail himself with such apparatuses?

Let me light the way for you. Yes I can.

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
cool, I'll bring them to Mexxis, stop by when you can will discuss further then.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
No problem.

GriffSC

GriffSC

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I would have paid to hear these words flowing fluidly forth from your masked maw.

2008 Taco

Looking for next Rover

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Yeah I'll only help you if that is recorded in your voice Enrique.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
"Lumen Wonder". HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I bought a pair of LED H1 replacements... They were about as bright as "angel eyes" type drls.... Not great. Happy to share if interested, but prolly quicker to order from ebay ;-)

Sent from my Nokia Windows Phone

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I'm pretty sure he asked for HID not LED. LED lamps haven't caught up yet. The ones that have are really over priced. Go figure.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Very nice. Not sure if I want a 20 inch on my bullbar or 40 inch on my rack.

Do you need a cover for the lightbars up high? I know it is required for large circular lights in CA.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

GriffSC

GriffSC

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Very nice. Not sure if I want a 20 inch on my bullbar or 40 inch on my rack.

Do you need a cover for the lightbars up high? I know it is required for large circular lights in CA.

I thought of this, Ted. Don't know. However, I am more likely to be ticketed for blinding drivers than not have the bar covered. I could have gone with a 50" up there, but the amount of light that comes off that bar is ridiculous. LEDram is SO proud.

2008 Taco

Looking for next Rover

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Here's my $0.02 on large forward facing lights on your roof rack. I paid a fair sum of money and spent many hours descretly running wires and switches for my lights, and I rarely use them. The reasons are, 1. It's not legal to use them on the road in CA and intact you are supposed to keep them covered. I suppose if I were to find myself in a road out in the middle of nowhere I could take the covers off and run them but I rarely do. 2. When I would want to use them is on the trail at night. But as I've gotten older wheeling late into the night has become less attractive AND I rarely hit any trail alone and usually am not in front. So if I did run the lights I blind the guy in front of me or my spotter and he's always asking me to turn them off.

I suppose if I ran at night on the dunes or led the way on dirt roads instead of rocky trails I might use them more. Just a couple of things to think about I wish I would have known before jumping in.

I have to say though, they do look cool and that counts for something.

GriffSC

GriffSC

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
You are right on all counts. I will not cover the bar, mostly because I don't like regulations, and will take my chances there. The "just-in-case" factor took hold with me. And LEDram is a good salesman.

2008 Taco

Looking for next Rover

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Honestly if a police officer pulls you over for not having a cover on your lights you should say that's because you really have nothing better to do today. Yes legally you need covers for your lights. I don't know the law that well but I don't think it matters if it's up high or on your bumper. Simple fix would be to point the light away from traffic when not used. If that really worries you that is. In my case I have never been pulled over for uncovered lights. There are plenty of other things that bored cop can ticket you for. Technically any modified vehicle is illegal. Lifted, bigger tires, etc. So try your luck and get the biggest light bar you can get.

I would go with the 40 on top. If your going to spend the money do it right. Your never going to regret it. Ask Barron and Mark.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
I don't worry about covering my HID lights here in the bay Area. It's when you're out in the middle of no where when the local po-po will stop you for uncovered lights.

I'm pretty sure Colin got busted once for uncovered lights.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
If yo are running "Fog" lens on the front bumper (between a certain height) you are fine to keep them uncovered and may use them assuming they are aimed correctly. Above that height (26" or something like that....) they are supposed to be covered or non operable from inside the cabin. I do not have a cover for my light bar and thus don't cover it. Like Grif, I'm not a fan of the regs anyway and do occasionally flip them/it on when alone on a dark road etc... That's just be being an idiot.. However, I agree with Jason that actual NEED is limited, I was really glad to have them on the way in to White Rock as it got very dark while on the trail heading in and the light bar, while it may not throw as far as the Hellas/HIDs, it sure lit up everything I needed to see ;-)

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
The side lights and rear lights I use way more often. Those I thinks are priceless and will eventually put more.

How much current does one of those 40" bars draw?

GriffSC

GriffSC

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
well, after a couple days with the truck I have successfully started a fire in the neighbor's yard and singed a possum that dared to pass in front of me. if I never need or use the lights again, it's all good.

2008 Taco

Looking for next Rover

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

The side lights and rear lights I use way more often. Those I thinks are priceless and will eventually put more.

How much current does one of those 40" bars draw?

Yes side lights are great for camping. The light bar uses about 240 watts. Not bad for the amount of output. I used a relay for both sets.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Wow that's 20 amps. Not leaving that thing on for long while the trucks off

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Actually that didn't do anything to my truck. I have left it on for about an hour with no issues. With the truck off that is. Using my stereo with a 700 watt amp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users