Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rack storage options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
I've been looking for a good storage solution that will get strapped down on the rack of my RRC. I've been eyeing the Pelican AL4024 transport case recently since it appears to be robust enough and I like the size. Photo below.

Posted Image

Specs:

• Anti-shear locks (won't pop open upon impact)
• Reinforced corners and edges for impact protection
• Molded-in ribs for additional strength
• Recessed hardware (handles, locks)

Dimensions: (L) 42.87" x (W) 27.31" x (D) 20.19"

A few questions / thoughts:

Does anyone have any experience with this case or something similar?
What considerations are most important when stowing a transport box on the rack?
Is there anything you see that could make this a poor choice?

Thanks

Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
So rule number 1 is to keep as much off the roof as possible. Now that has been said and the disclaimers are done, I use a large peli on the roof as well. I usually mount it with ratchet straps to the roof rack, using the handles so I can access it without having to undo it. Did great in Death Valley. Very nice to have a place to throw stuff. We put clothes and sleeping bags up top to keep weight down and because those things usually just get thrown in the back and in DV they would have gotten horribly dusty. This way everything was dry, clean, and easy to pack. The big box up front is my spares etc (U bolts through the box to the rack for a more permanent mounting) and the yellow peli (and orange one on the other side) was recovery gear and med kit. They were strapped down differently.

Edited by ChristopherSolis, 15 January 2014 - 03:54 PM.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Pelican cases are great! I keep my camp kitchen in a 1650. The same orange one Chris mentioned holds my tent, sleeping bag, and blanket. Another one (a yellow 1450?) is used to hold my recovery equipment, and the (1560?) usually carries all my dry food.

In the morning I'll pull out any food for lunch from the 1560 and toss that and the camp kitchen on the roof rack. It's a p.i.t.a. to get them down just to make a sandwich.

Since the Peli's are water tight, and if you are out on a trail when it's raining or snowing, be sure to dry everything when you get home. I made the mistake of stowing wet recovery gear from Shaver, and it wasn't until Pismo that I opened the case again. Mold had grown all over the leather gloves and spread to the recovery and tree straps. After a quick wash in a bucket of hot water and some soap, and then allowed to dry in the sun, everything was ok. Well except the gloves. Those were thrown in the campfire...

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I have to second B's comments for making sure things are dry. Had the same thing happen to my 1650 kitchen. I'll snap some pics of my set up. It is nice to have everything together for cooking. Down side is trying to make something quick. For Shaver I am going to be experimenting with Jet Boil only (coffee, cocoa w peppermint Schnapps, soups, chili, SPAM on the frying pain, etc). If you don't want the extreme protection of a pelican or extreme price I hear the wolf pack boxes are a good second. Just have some issues with the latches but there is a fix for it. They are only $40.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
No doubt Peli's are near indestructable. I ususally have at least a dozen around the house as the wife ships stuff for work in them constantly.

As for the JetBoil - I've lived off one plenty of times. The thing boils water faster than my stove at home. I've got the coffee press as well. Pretty good, but it does let some grounds by. I'll be living off it again at Shaver.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Yeah I got the coffee press for Christmas so I am looking forward to trying that! Since it will be only me and we only need a few meals it should be the perfect chance to try this.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
I have a large pelican case that I bought off pedram. I don't know what kind it is off the top of my head. At the time he had a few. Last time I asked about them he said he wanted to hold on to the rest but maybe he's changed his mind. Before you purchase I'd send him a PM or a call if you have his number. That is if you wouldn't mind a used one.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I have two large Pelican cases on my roof rack and have them strapped down a couple different ways. Here is a photo:

Posted Image
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Thanks for the feedback everyone; i'm going to get the 4024 and then later probably get a smaller one to complement. Glad I won't have to buy these very often... $$$

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Hi David; do you have the model no. of the pelican cases you are using in the photo?

Thanks

Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR

Thanks for the feedback everyone; i'm going to get the 4024 and then later probably get a smaller one to complement. Glad I won't have to buy these very often... $$$

I've only bought one Pelican case new, and that was the green 1650. If you're not in a rush for the smaller case, keep checking CL. That's where I've found my other 4 cases.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
what kind of rack are you guys using Erin/Jared? I thought I saw Thule bars. If so I have a basket rack for them, the yakima megawarrior that you can borrow.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
I went a little different way. I picked up a soft rooftop storage bag from Amazon a couple years ago in preparation for the day I finally got a roof rack (which I've never really done !) I've used it a couple times on trips in non-Rovers, used it on top of my friend's Rodeo all the way to Washington and back, and once I even put it in the back of my truck as I had to go to SF in the pouring rain and I put all my instruments and stuff in it, and it kept everything totally dry in one of the worst downpours (along with absolutely the worst traffic) I've ever driven in. The one I got is here:

http://www.amazon.co...1389977193&sr=8

One of the nice things about the soft bag is that if you don't have a lot of stuff in it, it doesn't take up as much space (or stick up as high on the roof.) As well, the weight of the storage sack itself is negligible so really the only weight you're adding to the roof is the weight of what's in the sack. And you can stuff the thing, with the soft sides it can expand to take odd-shaped items.

Edited by TigerDan, 17 January 2014 - 08:56 AM.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

what kind of rack are you guys using Erin/Jared? I thought I saw Thule bars. If so I have a basket rack for them, the yakima megawarrior that you can borrow.

Thanks for the offer Chris and good eye; those Thule bars were on the Range Rover when we purchased it. I don't have the keys for them and one of them has a pretty severe bend in it, so they are coming off shortly to be discarded (unless someone here has a use for them...) I have an ARB roof rack with mesh cage bottom (3800020M - 73" x 49") that should be arriving next week.

Posted Image

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I've only bought one Pelican case new, and that was the green 1650. If you're not in a rush for the smaller case, keep checking CL. That's where I've found my other 4 cases.

My thoughts exactly, Brenton. I think the smaller cases seem to show up more frequently on CL so i'll probably just get those second-hand.

Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
There have been used 1650's on CL for more than I paid for mine new! The only reason that one was purchased new is because I wanted the OD Green color. It was purchased through EE (Expedition Exchange) and even with tax and shipping was right around $200. Be sure to check the best new price you can find, you might be able to haggle the price down.

All the photography people buy the black cases. When I bought the case for food storage, I didn't meet the seller, but her family. I told them what I do, and what its intended purpose was going to be. By the time I got home, the seller heard from the family and had written me an email asking if I was really using it for food storage. I could tell that she was a little upset that the Pelican case wasn't going to another photographer.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
If you are an Amazon prime member you can try there. They seem to have fair prices sometimes as well.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I got a great deal on my two 1650s on ebay - even free shipping.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

...those Thule bars were on the Range Rover when we purchased it. I don't have the keys for them and one of them has a pretty severe bend in it, so they are coming off shortly to be discarded (unless someone here has a use for them...)

I'll happily take them off your hands. I can always find a use for stuff like that.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Yeah I got the coffee press for Christmas so I am looking forward to trying that! Since it will be only me and we only need a few meals it should be the perfect chance to try this.

I got one too after seeing Jen use Brenton's... Worked "ok" and let in more than a few grounds, then I read that there is a specific direction for the press to fit in the cup. As I recall the "flare" should be towards the bottom (direction of the 'press'). Haven't re tried but it was amazingly fast at getting the water to temp.

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users