Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rack storage options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
One thing that I didn't see mentioned much in the previous posts was to be sure that if you get a large one and you put lots in it, be careful because they can get heavy quick and lifting to the rod rack can become tricky if you don't regularly lift your spare tire over your head.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I got one too after seeing Jen use Brenton's... Worked "ok" and let in more than a few grounds, then I read that there is a specific direction for the press to fit in the cup. As I recall the "flare" should be towards the bottom (direction of the 'press'). Haven't re tried but it was amazingly fast at getting the water to temp.

Even my 'good' press lets in some grounds. But yeah, the JetBoil press isn't perfect by any means. But since I usually carry it on my back instead of in a truck I was willing to put up with that for the weight savings. It's going to take me a while to get used to this car-camping thing, but I'm willing to learn.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

One thing that I didn't see mentioned much in the previous posts was to be sure that if you get a large one and you put lots in it, be careful because they can get heavy quick and lifting to the rod rack can become tricky if you don't regularly lift your spare tire over your head.

Very true!. I'm 6'4" and can just get the camp kitchen over the rack bars. That's one advantage to having the air springs lower the truck I guess:)

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I just mount it and leave it. Then take stuff from the case as needed so it it always tied down but always accessible. Use it for lighter things too. My heavy cases are strapped down inside the truck. I got 2 huge ones for $100 each on craigslist, 1690's and they work very well and never have to lift it up on the rack except at the start and end of a trip.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I have a Storm 2950 that I load up with sleeping bags/pillows, light stuff. If it had heavier thing it would be too heavy to lift up. But when I have to loosen the tie straps completely to get to the contents. I like the idea of tiedowns on two handle and having the top separate so it can be accessed at any time. Rob has two Pelican-like army cases similar to your first post that he mounted permanently to his rack by drilling through the bottom and attaching it. Works well for him.

Chuck uses heavy duty duffles for soft items on top that are low profile and easy the throw around.

I also use Pelican cases in the truck for organization of kitchen stuff. A smaller one with kitchen essentials for small/trail meals and a larger one with everything else.

I am finding I am scaling down my gear and trying to consolidate and only bring items I use. Every trip I seem to he loaded to the hilt!
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

One thing that I didn't see mentioned much in the previous posts was to be sure that if you get a large one and you put lots in it, be careful because they can get heavy quick...

Here's what can happen if you get too much weight in the roof rack:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
Whoa, Dan's digging deep in the picture archive for that one:)

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Here's what can happen if you get too much weight in the roof rack:

Oh, that's just sad to look at. Was there something in particular that caused that roll-over to occur? -- I'll take notes to avoid doing it. (Looks like lesson 1 is "don't overload the top.")

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
Watch those well traveled over tree roots as they can be a bit slippery, even when dry and dusty. Likewise, if you reach an obstacle that will lift one side and drop the other double check you have the shock travel to do so. Otherwise a few well placed rocks will get you through.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users