Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Front Runner LR3 Drawer System

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I met with Pedram tonight and we looked over my LR3. Looks like he should be able to do a single or double swing on the stock rear or build a custom steel rear. The latch is key, and he uses a pretty beefy piece. I'm sort of looking to go aluminum to save weight if I can and that poses some problems with the carrier (can't weld a steel spindle to aluminum) but there are work arounds - just not sure if they're worth the effort/cost so I may end up with a Tactical rear and (hopefully) a custom Pedram aluminum front.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I thought about the Voyager swing away but talked to two guys with LR4s and 1 with an LR3 and they said they had to completely re-do the latch - it was flimsy and very dangerous. I really want a rear bumper with tire carrier, but I also like the idea of a swing away unit like you describe. I bet the same design that is used for an LR3 could be done for an LR4?
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Let's get a line going...... I got my work cut out for myself. You crazy nuts. Love you all.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Let's get a line going...... I got my work cut out for myself. You crazy nuts. Love you all.

You need to have a sign up sheet!!! Or maybe new models (like the LR4) get priority? Hahaha! Kidding!!!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
if only Land Rover had done it right to begin with;)

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
Have you guys heard of the Australian company called Kaymar? I think that's the bumper I would get. Or the Tactical Rovers.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Kaymar is interesting, but I didn't think they had a US disty? Haven't priced them out.

I did speak to Tactical. They said if we can get 2 or 3 bumpers together we can get a group discount.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Called and spoke with Outback Proven in Vegas, a Kaymar-owned distributor. They are going to send me some pricing info for the LR3/4 rear bumpers and options like carriers. It looks pretty well made with a beefy latch, but I don't see any recovery points and it doesn't look like it incorporates a receiver hitch which would be on my list of 'wants'. They did say they a group order might be worth a small discount (5%) which is good as it looks like they are more expensive than Tactical. I'll post up the pricing info when I get it.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I know a few LR4 guys who got the Kaymar bumper, but the fit is not clean. They are made for the Discovery 4, which has stock rear mud flaps. I know the place out in Vegas is supposed to be top notch though with great customer service. I just spoke to someone I know with the rear bumper on his LR4 and he said it's nice, but wished there was a different design available. I think the guys at Expo used it as well. I know they are expensive, around $2,000 something.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Sorry, I should have written LR3 and LR4 - I've talked to folks who have the bumpers on both. Without the rear mud flaps, there is a weird gap.

Looking forward to seeing the pricing you get because I know they are very expensive.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Here's the pricing info I got from Outpack Proven:

G'Day Don,

Here is the pricing for the LR3/4 Rear Bars. Notice the difference in part numbers for the LR4 & LR4. The LR3/4 rear bars are unique as they incorporate the OEM rear hitch or the Mitchell Brothers rear hitch (special order from OZ). Thee Kaymar's are regarded as some of the best rear bars in the world and we outsell ARB over 20 to 1 in Australia. They are zinc coated then powder coated, so if scrapes or trail rash happen they won't rust. I can reduce the price by 5% if multiple bars are purchased, but would have to be a cash sale and not credit card. I hope that helps.

LR3
K2985-S - Rear Bar W/ twin pivots, lights in bar and sensors - $1,657.00
USA-D3 - Rear Bar W/ RHS carrier - $2,353.00
KITD3-S - Rear Bar W/ LHS & RHS tyre carriers - $3,005.00
KitD3-S-R-JCS - Rear Bar W/ RHS tyre carrier & LHS jerry can holder - $3,005.00

LR4
K2990-S - Rear Bar W/ twin pivots, lights in bar and sensors - $1,657.00
USA-D4 - Rear Bar W/ LHS carrier - $2,353.00
KITD4-S - Rear Bar W/ LHS & RHS tyre carriers - $3,005.00
KitD4-S-R-JCS - Rear Bar W/ RHS tyre carrier & LHS jerry can holder - $3, 005.00

Popular options include
K0500 - Kaymar Telescopic work light - $241.00
K0491 - Kack Holder - $81.00

Cheers,

Benjamin Meddows

So basically, I'd be at $3000 for the set-up I'd want (LR3, dual swing outs w/1 tire and 1 jerry can). That's pretty hard for me to justify when the Tactical w/1 swing out is about half that cost and I'm sure they would modify or I could mount a jerry can holder on the tire or something. It does look nice, just not $3K nice to me.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Wow - that's even more than I thought! $3,000+ is what I would be looking at. Hopefully Tactical Rovers expands their current rear bumper to the LR4.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
its funny I'm hijacking my own thread. I just read on ExPo that Luky8 might be doing a group buy for bumpers. here is the link but they post a lot on ExPo and seem like a really good company. I think i got my IId tool from them. http://www.expeditio...Registry/page15

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD

IMG_1224-S.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I wouldn't charge you guys that much if you're still looking. I would say more like 2. I can't see why the materials would cost so much. But I would be willing to try to keep costs down.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
They brought that bumper group-buy thing up a while ago but it seems to have fizzled out - I haven't heard anything about it in a month or so. That's a TRC buinper - I was trying to show it to Pedram when we were looking at options for building mine but the TRC website was down last week.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

its funny I'm hijacking my own thread. I just read on ExPo that Luky8 might be doing a group buy for bumpers. here is the link but they post a lot on ExPo and seem like a really good company. I think i got my IId tool from them. http://www.expeditio...Registry/page15

I have been meaning to post on the ExPo site, as I just started taking a look - so much great information!!!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

I have been meaning to post on the ExPo site, as I just started taking a look - so much great information!!!

I'm obsessed. I check that site everyday and i even started a subscription for the journal. It really makes you want to get out and explore.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD

IMG_1224-S.jpg

djoslin

djoslin

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • San Anselmo, CA
  • 2011 LR4 HSE

I just installed the front runner drawer system on my LR4, I like them. I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the third row seat belts, they are just in the way now. I would hate to just cut them off, I was wondering if there is a way to remove them just in case I remove the drawers and want to use the third row seats ever.

Don

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

2011 LR4 HSE
ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, IPF 900 off-road lights, Voyager ladder, Voyager roof rack, Voyager rock sliders with steps, 2.5 Lift Johnson Rods, 18" Compomotive Wheels, Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 275/65R18, Traxide dual battery kit with Optima Yellowtop D34, Tactical 4x4 rear bumper & tire swing, Frontrunner drawer system & fridge slide, National Luna 52 fridge etc...

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
When I put in my front runner drawers, I removed the plastic pillar covers that the seat belts travel through.

I then unbolted the upper end of the seatbelt from the pillar.

After that I could roll the remaining webbing up and wrap it with electrical tape.

This let me tuck the entire roll of seatbelt webbing into the cavity where the seat belt tensioner assembly sits.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
All good to know! I have a set of the FR drawers sitting at my house waiting to be test fitted to the D4. As my wife is out of town next week but leaving her truck, I will get to play. I've removed all the trim before so I'll take pics as I go.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users