Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

P-Fab is at it again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Birthday Schmerthday....surely he'll understand the gravity of the situation here. Priorities man, Priorities!

As for the rain, are you saying you don't like to weld outside when it's raining? Come on, what's the worst that could happen?

BTW, I'm working down in Redwood City tomorrow. I should be done at a reasonable hour. I might give you a call if the weather's clear and see about meeting you at the secret Pedram lair of Land Rover fabrication.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Actually I never really thought about welding in the rain before which I had done a few years ago. But I found out really quickly why not to. And I was lucky. I have heard of deaths this way. So I don't risk my life so much these days. Standing in puddles stick welding with wet gloves.

Tomorrow sounds good. I'll definitely be working on it then. Thanks all for your patience. I wish I had three of me. One to weld, one for work and another to take vacations.

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
I'll be the vacations "you".

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I'll be the vacations "you".

HAHA My initial thought too...

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
So I happened to stop by Pedram's place this afternoon.

Hmmm....seems like there is some steel under that plastic. And it's welded in place in such a way that that you can't really get to it to just remove the welds. OK, there's a way around that. It's called a sawzall...

Posted Image

Oh boy, no going back now!
Posted Image]

I think we'll end up building off the existing steel piece as it's pretty sturdy. The center recovery point was removed to make way for a regular receiver hitch so I can tow without having to deal with the ridiculous stock Z-shaped thing that hangs waaaay down low. The end bumper should look similar to the Tactical unit but with dual swing outs and the towing capacity.

Hopefully we can have this sorted out in a couple weeks. It's a bit more complicated than Pedram's normal builds but I have faith in him. (I'd better at this point!)

Edited by DHappel, 08 June 2014 - 08:42 PM.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
BTW, does anybody have a definitive explanation for what the swinging weights on either frame rail right behind the bumper are for? I have no idea what they really do; though I've heard they're supposed to dampen some sort of vibration and keep one of the computers from freaking out (stability control?). LR certainly went to a lot of trouble to put them there, so I'm hesitant to just get rid of them but I honestly don't see what they do. And I'd be happy to actually REMOVE something heavy from the truck for once instead of just bolting on more 'road hugging weight'.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Wow! There is no turning back now, but I am sure it will come out amazing. I can't wait to see the progress and see if I am next. :-) Awesome work so far, Pedram!

Best of luck.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

BTW, does anybody have a definitive explanation for what the swinging weights on either frame rail right behind the bumper are for? I have no idea what they really do; though I've heard they're supposed to dampen some sort of vibration and keep one of the computers from freaking out (stability control?). LR certainly went to a lot of trouble to put them there, so I'm hesitant to just get rid of them but I honestly don't see what they do. And I'd be happy to actually REMOVE something heavy from the truck for once instead of just bolting on more 'road hugging weight'.

They are actually pretty darn heavy! I saw this on another forum once and then confirmed with my Land Rover tech a while back. They are pendulum weights that help to reduce resonance (they counteract resonate frequency vibrations coming off the frame of the truck). They are dead weights alright, but I don't know if removing them would be a good idea. I think I read that a couple other forum members removed them and did not report any issues.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Hmmmm....given that we're about to start welding a bunch of steel to the back of the frame, I wonder what that will do to the resonant frequency? I might pop over to LRR forum and see if I can find any other references to them there. It would be nice to get rid of them if possible. I'm betting they would save me 40 lbs between the pair. Not a lot in the big scheme considering the truck probably will weigh in at 6500 lbs by the time it's done, but at least it's something!

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
So I started this and haven't really gone further, but I have done a few things. Don I didn't take any pictures of it yet but I was thinking about something else for the two corners. I know you like the TR44 bumpers style but those corners to me look like they need something. Can I box them in? Rather then build a similar wall that matches the original bumper? I'm talking about the curve below the taillight.

My idea is that most SUVs have a boxy rear bumper on this type of body. They usually fallow the rear corners out with a plastic box of some kind. I know you like the Rovers style but just asking. Here are some pictures of what I think might help.

Posted Image

These are some ideas of whats out there and I was thinking of adding a step into it like the Xtera from Nissan. Again just some ideas. But it's your truck. Think about it and let me know what you want to do with it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

But I did take some pictures after you left. I took the truck to my storage and did match the body style under the light with some thin sheet metal and got close. I'll post here as I go since this is my general thread for just building things.

http://i1286.photobu...zpsufe5rlgx.jpg
http://i1286.photobu...zpsgcdix0qj.jpg
http://i1286.photobu...zpsngwq5zkq.jpg
http://i1286.photobu...zpssa7jpjcx.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Hmmmm....I'm not exactly sure. Hard to picture. Just looking at the pictures I still like the top one (the TR) the best. But I'm open to other ideas. I'm heading down to the bay area and will be staying in Oakland again Tuesday-Thursday, so I'll come over after work and we can run though some ideas. The step is interesting, but I don't think needed. I think the 'slider' bar will provide enough step plus some extra protection for the bodywork (ok, not a lot but it looks cool) and I think the two of them together might be a little busy.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I went over to the secret lair last night. Things happened.

What's this, the start of some kind of shovel?

Posted Image

Oh....that makes more sense.

Posted Image

But that's just a rough draft. It still needs a little of this and that.

Posted Image

Then you end up with something more like this.
(OK, this photo is actually before the grinding but it made for a better story this way)

Posted Image

Hey, now that's looking like the start of something!

Posted Image

These corners will be the hardest parts of the whole build. Hopefully now that we've got a basic design sorted out it go a little quicker on the other side. These are actually a little more complicated than the TR bumper. If you look closely at the top photo in Pedram's post above you can see the TR bumper seems to have 2 planes under the tail light, but the light actually has 3 planes which we followed to keep closer to it's shape. Actually, the main flat part of the light isn't flat at all, but we're not going to try rolling a bend into the steel. (I don't know anybody who does). We're leaving around 1/4" of gap under the light to avoid damage from an impact. I'll likely fill this with a rubber gasket of some sort just for cosmetics.

What I learned last night: The LR3 has something in common with the boats I'm on all day. Despite looking much like a square brick, there doesn't appear to be any actual 90* angles on the back of this truck.

Edited by DHappel, 08 June 2014 - 08:47 PM.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Thanks for the update, Don!

Wow, it looks like things are coming along nicely. I am still trying to picture the final design in my head, but I love the fabrication around the lights.

I can't wait to see more of the progress soon.

Hey Pedram,

Let me know if you are there sometime over the weekend and if you are ready for me to swing by and grab the sliders. If you need more time, let me know. Thanks so much!

-David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Yeah sorry about that David. I really just need the layout of the holes so I might just need to get some steel and bend it close enough to get the shape and line up some holes in it. I haven't really spent any time at work with dimensions. I'll get on it this week and have it wrapped up for you by Friday. If not you can ship them anyway. I would hate holding them any longer then needed.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Yeah sorry about that David. I really just need the layout of the holes so I might just need to get some steel and bend it close enough to get the shape and line up some holes in it. I haven't really spent any time at work with dimensions. I'll get on it this week and have it wrapped up for you by Friday. If not you can ship them anyway. I would hate holding them any longer then needed.

No problem at all - I want you to be able to get the design down, so if you need a little while longer, I can let him know. If you are able to get them done by Friday, let me know if you are at your storage/workshop area this weekend and I can swing by to grab them. Keep me posted on here or via text. Thanks so much!!!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
More progress was made last night. By the end of the evening it was actually starting to look like a bumper. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic at the end. There's still plenty to do though, a few days' worth of work. Here's a quick shot of Pedram attacking the LR3 with the welder. We'll have to let him post some pics of the over-all progress.

Posted Image

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

More progress was made last night. By the end of the evening it was actually starting to look like a bumper. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic at the end. There's still plenty to do though, a few days' worth of work. Here's a quick shot of Pedram attacking the LR3 with the welder. We'll have to let him post some pics of the over-all progress.

Posted Image

Hi Don,

I am in such suspense - can't wait to see photos!!! I stopped by last Saturday and the design was looking great. Plus, I put another task on Pedram's list - install my soon-to-be-ordered ARB front bumper. I think I will order from 4 Wheel Parts. After much thought and research, and talking to Pedram, I think the ARB is a great choice.

On another note, did you get your transfer case skid plate hardware from Tactical 4x4 - I got mine a couple days ago. Eric said he would send me some instructions, as I really have no clue where the brackets go or how it bolts up.

Any ideas? I'll pass along anything I get from Eric.

-David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I did receive the brackets. But since I haven't had the truck I don't know how they mount either. I figured it would be obvious once I crawled under it with all the parts. After all, how hard can it be? ;)

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I did receive the brackets. But since I haven't had the truck I don't know how they mount either. I figured it would be obvious once I crawled under it with all the parts. After all, how hard can it be? ;)

You are quite a bit more mechanically included than me. LOL!

I climbed under there the other day and it still perplexes me where the brackets actually go. I tinkered and toyed around and have a general idea, but I can't envision it enough to actually do it. :-)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
It's probably an "L" bracket that drops down from some main bolts and then bolts again below to the skid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users