Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

new armor installed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Got the new Tactical Rovers sliders and gas tank skid installed on my LR3 today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything went pretty smoothly, even working solo. Just used my floor jack to hold things in place while I got the bolts started. I didn't realize I would have to trim away some of the plastic rocker cover at the bottom of the front fenders but it's no big deal - it a very easy cut and it's along an existing line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know some people have had issues with bolt alignment but I didn't have any problems. The passenger side (the first one I did) took a little wrestling before I could get the body mount bolts started but once I got the hang of it things went pretty quickly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only downside is I found a bunch of grease inside the driver's front wheel. Looks like I must have torn a CV boot at Hollister. I'll have to pull the wheel and have a look at it this afternoon.

Posted Image

Edited by DHappel, 08 March 2014 - 04:13 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I could not see the photos here, but when I clicked it and went to your page - I could see. Wow, looks great. Those sliders really do offer some great protection!

I can't wait to get mine installed! :)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Thanks for pointing out the broken links. I fixed it now.

Your turn to play next week!

Don

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW
Nice! Now let's see pics with them in action.

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Gotta find a new CV boot first.... what a greasy mess!

Don

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
nice pics Don, they look great. those are my next mod i think.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Looks nice. Since I just picked up our LR3 yesterday, I am looking for some sliders in the future. I think I need the kick-outs as my wife is vertically challenged. Do they work well as a step to get into the vehicle? I eventually want to swap out to coils once the EAS starts failing but don't want the vehicle too high for her. She has a tough time getting into my P38 and the kickouts are essential on my silders. Thanks.

That tank skid looks great as well. Sasquatch bashed in my gas tank pretty good already!
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Looks nice. Since I just picked up our LR3 yesterday, I am looking for some sliders in the future. I think I need the kick-outs as my wife is vertically challenged. Do they work well as a step to get into the vehicle? I eventually want to swap out to coils once the EAS starts failing but don't want the vehicle too high for her. She has a tough time getting into my P38 and the kickouts are essential on my silders. Thanks.

That tank skid looks great as well. Sasquatch bashed in my gas tank pretty good already!

I just met Don and picked up my gas tank skid plate and sliders (currently in the back of my LR4) and man these are nicely made products! We are still waiting on the transfer case skid plate, as that's a bit delayed. Hopefully once I get on all this armor, it will save me from damaging my EAS / undercarriage.

Pedram is going to help me install the sliders this coming Saturday, as on the 2012-2014 LR4, Land Rover used the AMK compressor (which is an improvement over the previous compressor used in earlier years), but it hangs a bit lower. So, Tactical 4x4 provided a new bracket in which I need to raise up the compressor to fit the sliders. This was a bit more than I am willing to take on myself, so glad I could get Pedram's help.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

The only downside is I found a bunch of grease inside the driver's front wheel. Looks like I must have torn a CV boot at Hollister. I'll have to pull the wheel and have a look at it this afternoon.

Good that you found the problem while parked at your house... :D Nice setup.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
With all this Tactical Armour you guys could do an overland expedition through Afghanistan. I could be the guide.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

With all this Tactical Armour you guys could do an overland expedition through Afghanistan. I could be the guide.

Only if you bring your drawers and ARB fridge. :-D
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Nice fit.

Will all the purchases from Tactical Rover e.g. Don, DavidW... next buyer(s) should ask about a group buy + shipping to one commercial location to save on shipping cost.

Edited by RON CT110, 10 March 2014 - 09:49 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Nice fit.

It all the purchases from Tactical Rover e.g. Don, DavidW... next buyer(s) should ask about a group buy + shipping to one commercial location to save on shipping cost.

We did - sort of. I did it pretty last-minute but I did post a thread asking if anybody wanted to get in on it with me. David was the only one who was able to move that quickly. Eric at Tactical gave us a 10% discount and I had it all drop-shipped to a freight terminal in Sacramento where I picked up the pallet in my truck, so we saved a few bucks on shipping vs. sending it to one of our houses or even to my office (no loading dock).

Don

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Meant to type "Will all the purchases..."

Way to go w/the discount.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Those sliders look really great. I am new to the world of Land Rovers and just got an LR4 earlier in the summer. I had the pleasure of meeting Pedram when I went to a club event with Mike (astateofmike). So the used LR4 that I got has the LR running boards, which lower the ground clearance by about 1 - 1.5". I want to pull them off and put on some sort of slider and was comparing these sliders with the ones from Voyager Racks. I am in Livermore, would it be possible to swing by some time and see how they are installed? Also, are these bolted to the sill or to the body?

Thanks,
Brian

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
They bolt to the 2 large body-mount bolts and the underside of the sill via 8(?) smaller bolts.

My truck is a bit far away for a visit as I'm up in Walnut Grove, though I have it in the bay at least once a month for something. You are welcome to come have a look sometime if you are in the area, but DavidW might be a better bet or you if you're in the bay often as he's on the peninsula. I suspect he'll be at our gathering on Thursday. I'll be there, but I won't be driving the Rover (work van for me I'm afraid)

My sliders and skids have been well-used this year. Saved my driver's door from what I thought was a sure-fire dent last month when gravity got the better of my line on a loose down-hill.

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Hey Brian I too am in Livermore!! I have a CT110 and we just bought a 2013 LR4 (but I am not allowed to modify it for a awhile as it is the wife's car for now....woohahahahahaha). I do plan for full undercarriage protection at some point tho as I have a habit of bashing things with my 110 :)

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

They bolt to the 2 large body-mount bolts and the underside of the sill via 8(?) smaller bolts.

My truck is a bit far away for a visit as I'm up in Walnut Grove, though I have it in the bay at least once a month for something. You are welcome to come have a look sometime if you are in the area, but DavidW might be a better bet or you if you're in the bay often as he's on the peninsula. I suspect he'll be at our gathering on Thursday. I'll be there, but I won't be driving the Rover (work van for me I'm afraid)

My sliders and skids have been well-used this year. Saved my driver's door from what I thought was a sure-fire dent last month when gravity got the better of my line on a loose down-hill.

Those sliders look really great. I am new to the world of Land Rovers and just got an LR4 earlier in the summer. I had the pleasure of meeting Pedram when I went to a club event with Mike (astateofmike). So the used LR4 that I got has the LR running boards, which lower the ground clearance by about 1 - 1.5". I want to pull them off and put on some sort of slider and was comparing these sliders with the ones from Voyager Racks. I am in Livermore, would it be possible to swing by some time and see how they are installed? Also, are these bolted to the sill or to the body?

Thanks,
Brian

Hello Brian,

Welcome! I have a 2013 LR4 (see my signature below) and have the same Tactical 4x4 sliders and skid plates (transfer case and fuel tank) as Don, as well as the front ARB bumper. We also have the same Urban Offroad roof rack, though mine is standard and he has the low profile edition. I am working on the rear bumper ideas, but Don's is awesome!

I actually had a 2011 LR4 before I traded it in for my 2013 (ordered exactly what I wanted) and had both Voyager and Urban Offroad rock sliders and I will say that they are nice, but are only sill guards. You do not have much protection for your air compressor or air tank, and under body. I had the Urban Offroad on my 2013 (got a deal when I got my rack), but I switched to the Tactical 4x4 for better protection, which they certainly offer. You really can't beat the sliders for protection and, as Don says above, he has the scars to prove it. If you get the Tactical 4x4 sliders and have a 2012+ model LR4, then you do need to relocate the air compressor with a supplied bracket so the slider will fit. Sometime in the 2012 model year they changed the air compressor on the LR4 from a Hitachi to an AMK. The latter is a better compressor, but it hangs quite a bit lower than the Hitachi.

If you do plan to do any off roading, I would remove the OEM running boards, as they will likely get damaged pretty easily. If you did not want to go the Tactical 4x4 route (they are VERY heavy and definitely affect MPGs and ride), then I recommend the Urban Offroad sliders, as I had the Voyager and had some problems with the powder coat coming off and the hardware they sent was terrible. I know a few other guys from the LR4 forums who have been complaining. Derek from Urban Offroad is in Southern CA and makes a good product. If you drive down to Temecula, he does free installs (though they are very easy). The Voyager and Urban Offroad sliders offer about the same protection, though I think the Urban Offroad sliders are made a lot nicer.

I am in San Carlos (mid-peninsula), so kind of far from Livermore, but if you are in the peninsula I am always happy to show you my truck. I will be at the peninsula gathering coming up and at the Annual, though only for the day.

Feel free to send me a message with any questions - Don is also an excellent resource.

Regards, David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the info and comparison. When you say that the tactical sliders affect ride quality, how much and in what way?

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Nice fit.

Will all the purchases from Tactical Rover e.g. Don, DavidW... next buyer(s) should ask about a group buy + shipping to one commercial location to save on shipping cost.

My company has a warehouse and forklift in San Jose, so if we can plan in advance, we could have large items shipped here. ie pallets, etc.

-Erin

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users