Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

new armor installed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I can't say I noticed an effect on ride quality from the sliders, but then again I've done a lot of things to the truck. They are a chunk of steel and add some weight, but it's not like these things are featherweight rigs to start with.

I actually want to rebuild my air struts with Koni FSB dampers to improve the on-road handling. With over 100K on the clock, my stock suspension is getting a bit to soft. That may be my winter project.

For shipping on large things like this that come freight I generally have them shipped to a local terminal then pick them up there. It's usually a little cheaper plus I don't have to be home to receive the delivery. The trade off is you have to put in a little leg work to find a local terminal for the freight company you're using and then go pick them up.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I can't say I noticed an effect on ride quality from the sliders, but then again I've done a lot of things to the truck. They are a chunk of steel and add some weight, but it's not like these things are featherweight rigs to start with.

I actually want to rebuild my air struts with Koni FSB dampers to improve the on-road handling. With over 100K on the clock, my stock suspension is getting a bit to soft. That may be my winter project.

For shipping on large things like this that come freight I generally have them shipped to a local terminal then pick them up there. It's usually a little cheaper plus I don't have to be home to receive the delivery. The trade off is you have to put in a little leg work to find a local terminal for the freight company you're using and then go pick them up.

Hi Don,

As you know I am also planning to get these sliders, transfer case and gas tank case. What are the things to look for before getting these installed.? You mentioned "want to rebuild my air struts with Koni FSB dampers to improve the on-road handling. With over 100K on the clock, my stock suspension is getting a bit to soft. That may be my winter project", so mine is also above 100k miles and due to these weights of sliders and others weigh around 335 lbs. Do you think I should be looking at chaging anything, compressor or suspension?

How much did you mileage get affected due to this install?

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
If multiple members are thinking to buy these then we can do a group shipping and we can plan a day to install these and help each other in installation.

Anudeep (YARRover)

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If I decide to pull the trigger on these I think that would be a great idea.

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
How hard would it be to make this delivery area a reality?

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry I was responding to Erin's comment about having it delivered to her work

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I can't say how much of a mileage hit any one of my mods alone cost me. I haven't really paid that much attention. I'm getting around 15 mpg I think, but it's hard to say since I usually only drive it when I'm going to take it off-road and running around in low range obviously isn't good for mileage. The tires (32" Duratracs) are clearly the worst offender. But I've also got front and rear bumpers, a lift, a rack, and the skids and sliders.

The extra weight of all the steel + the spare and jerry can of gas on the back bumper combined with what I assume are the original struts with about 112K miles gives me more wallow than I want. Heck, even new it probably would have rode softer than I prefer as my preference is for sporty handling over comfy ride most times and Rovers are known for a soft ride with the air suspension. The Konis aren't sold in the US, but are available in England, Europe, and Australia. I know a few people have imported them and have reported improved handling on-road without sacrificing off-road performance. I haven't priced them out yet so I might just wimp out and get stock stuff (which I think is made by Bilstien). Or you can buy a complete assembled air strut from Arnott at a reasonable price.

If you guys wanted to do a group order, I'm sure Tactical would do it. Just tell them you're with the NCLR. For David and I he put everything on a pallet and shipped it to a terminal in Sacramento where I picked it up with my truck which was handy since they could just forklift the pallet into the back. Then I brought David's parts down to the bay when I came down for work. You could do the same thing to a local terminal or ship to Erin's place or whatever works for you. If you want to do a wrenching day and install everything I'd be happy to help or even host if you want, though I live sort of out of the way.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone.

When I say ride quality, I mean that I can feel that the truck is a bit more sluggish - especially around corners. It just doesn't feel as nimble as before I put the sliders and skids on it, though it still has plenty of power with the big 5.0 V8. It doesn't bother me at all, as I was never expecting a sports car, but you can feel a slight difference. In fact, a friend of mine with an LR4 (completely stock) drove mine and he said he noticed it big time, but I think it has plenty of power.

My truck is heavy like Don's, but I have 18" wheels with BFG A/T KOs, so the MPG hit isn't as bad. With that said, I don't think I get more than 12-13mpg on the highway right now. I can go about 250 miles on one fill up.

-David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

If multiple members are thinking to buy these then we can do a group shipping and we can plan a day to install these and help each other in installation.

Now I am beginning to wonder if everyone does a group buy, if I should order an LR3 rear bumper and see if Pedram can fit it to my LR4????

Don, do you think it would be a nightmare? I am just not into the Kaymar and there really are no other options. What do folks think, I will need to look at my LR4 rear side-by-side to an LR3 and see if it would fit..... I can have Pedram do the swing outs, etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

How hard would it be to make this delivery area a reality?

Brian,

Shouldn't be a problem as long as I get all of the details ahead of time. And an idea of when each person will pick up their goods. I don't want to hold up warehouse space for too long.

-Erin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
[quote name='erinw.rrc']Brian,

Shouldn't be a problem as long as I get all of the details ahead of time. And an idea of when each person will pick up their goods. I don't want to hold up warehouse space for too long.

-Erin

Erin, is there a way that I can contact you tomorrow to talk about the logistics of this?

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

The Konis aren't sold in the US, but are available in England, Europe, and Australia. I know a few people have imported them and have reported improved handling on-road without sacrificing off-road performance.

I also have a relationship with a good freight forwarder and broker... Wink, wink.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
[quote name='vanessen'][quote name='erinw.rrc']Brian,

-Erin

Erin, is there a way that I can contact you tomorrow to talk about the logistics of this?[/QUOTE]

Sure, anytime after 5:00 pm is fine. I'll send my phone number via PM.

-Erin

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have another question about these sliders. I talked with Eric at tactical rovers and they said that the brush bar is only 2 7/8 inches deep. Do you find that they work acceptably as steps?

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I have another question about these sliders. I talked with Eric at tactical rovers and they said that the brush bar is only 2 7/8 inches deep. Do you find that they work acceptably as steps?

I am also little concerned about that, we can ask Eric at tactical if its possible to extend it a little further to use it as a step comfortably. If he can then I am prettt happy.

Anudeep (YARRover)

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I am also little concerned about that, we can ask Eric at tactical if its possible to extend it a little further to use it as a step comfortably. If he can then I am prettt happy.

I am sure Don will provide some experience, but I found that once the door is open you can use them as steps, even though they do not extend out much (which is important). I don't need them because I am tall, but people have used them and they are fine. Since they are square, they are a lot easier (and less slippery) than the round tubes. You could also put some grip tape to help, but they should be fine.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I think there should be enough room if you use the front or side of your foot, as several people have used mine as steps and they don't have a problem. I would probably avoid extending them outward since you plan to continue to off road your LR3.

If I were you, I would just make your wife learn to climb. I would NEVER add a step for mine.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
As David said, they aren't meant to be steps but work OK as such. They are designed to keep you from damaging bodywork on rocks, and they do that quite well.

If your primary reason for wanting them is to use as a step, I'd seriously consider looking elsewhere or at least trying one of our trucks on first as you may be disappointed. But as for protection that can double as a semi-step they are great.

I won't have my LR3 at the meet on Thursday, but I think David will have his there. The best recommendation I have is to check one of our trucks out in person and see if it will work for your step needs. Keep in mind that if you extend them out too far to act as a step they can compromise other functions. You might find you get your pants muddy/dirty from brushing against them getting in/out of the truck when it's not in off-road mode (when you don't need a step to get in) and they can get hung up on rocks/trees if they stick out too far. In fact, some sliders don't have any extension and only wrap around the sill, though I do like having the extension on them myself.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Tie a rope to the roof. It's like climbing a wall.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Tie a rope to the roof. It's like climbing a wall.

Only if you can get me one of those Batman rope climber things to attach to my utility belt!

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users