Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Heading to Hollister tomorrow

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Hi All,

I recently noticed some grinding noise in the left front wheel and took for alignment and balancing. They said the bearing is out and need to be replaced.

Any suggestions where I can get a Wheel hub bearing. I contacted Land Rover Redwood City and roverparts they quoted me $260 for the part.

Any other better parts palce for a cheaper price other than factory parts?

Thanks
Anudeep

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Rockauto.com Front wheel hub/bearing assembly for a 2006 LR3 starting at $73. I can't post a link directly to the page because of the way they do their menus, but it's pretty easy to find.

Mind you, I have no idea how good that $73 one is, but they have name brand stuff starting at $115, and Moog at $164

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Rockauto.com Front wheel hub/bearing assembly for a 2006 LR3 starting at $73. I can't post a link directly to the page because of the way they do their menus, but it's pretty easy to find.

Mind you, I have no idea how good that $73 one is, but they have name brand stuff starting at $115, and Moog at $164

Thanks Don.

I am not sure too about the $73 one so, Out of these brands which one is good? Could you please suggest.

BECK/ARNLEY
TIMKEN
MOOG/NATIONAL

I heard of Timken but never used any parts of it.

Anudeep

Anudeep (YARRover)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I'd lean Timken or Moog. Both brands have solid reputations. Timken is best known for bearings; Moog for suspension parts like ball joints and tie rod ends. I have no complaint with either.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Anudeep, are you planning to do the hub bearing work yourself?

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I'd lean Timken or Moog. Both brands have solid reputations. Timken is best known for bearings; Moog for suspension parts like ball joints and tie rod ends. I have no complaint with either.

Thanks Don. Timken it is then.

Anudeep (YARRover)

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Anudeep, are you planning to do the hub bearing work yourself?

-Jared

Hi Jared,

Yes that is the plan, expensive out side for labor. So will be doing it myself. Any suggestions?

Anudeep

Anudeep (YARRover)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Hi Jared,

Yes that is the plan, expensive out side for labor. So will be doing it myself. Any suggestions?

Anudeep

I think it's a good idea -- I went through the Range Rover Workshop Manual and the hub bearing doesn't appear to be a super-difficult job -- mainly have to ensure you have the appropriate seals and stuff to replace when you reassemble.

Not sure about the LR3. Although I will say that Don is looking to get some LR3 work done as well, so perhaps we should get a November Wrenching Day going...

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I think it's a good idea -- I went through the Range Rover Workshop Manual and the hub bearing doesn't appear to be a super-difficult job -- mainly have to ensure you have the appropriate seals and stuff to replace when you reassemble.

Not sure about the LR3. Although I will say that Don is looking to get some LR3 work done as well, so perhaps we should get a November Wrenching Day going...

-Jared

Hi Jared,

That is a great idea having a wrenching day. Lets have one in November so that we can get our trucks ready for Lost Coast trip. I thought and would love to host one but i live in a Apartment :(, so no scope .

Is the one at Justin's place up Sacramento in November is a wrenching day?

Anudeep (YARRover)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Unfortunately my first free weekend is Dec 13th, so I can't do a full-on wrenching day before the Lost Cost trip.

Don

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
That is too far to get my bearing fixed. Will plan some wrenching day here in bay area if possible before Lost Coast if anyone is interested.

I ordered Timken wheel hub bearing from Rockauto. Thanks Don.

Anudeep (YARRover)

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I got the timken from rockauto as well. My left front was howling after I came back from hollister . Didn't have time to do myself - ammco is doing labor for $200 . If you have right torque wrench , 32mm socket , should be do-able on jack stand. Make sure you have new axle nut. You can rent t.wrench and hub puller from o'reilly. Hard part looks like getting old hub off if its rusted on there - could take a few hammer blows , heat , etc. one smart guy put his old brake rotor on the hub backwards and hammered on that. .. Atlantic British has good YouTube video on the procedure.

If my left is shot at 71 k miles - any thoughts on how long my right front will last ?

Edited by alpaca, 22 October 2014 - 09:09 PM.
Spelling corrector

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I got the timken from rockauto as well. My left front was howling after I came back from hollister . Didn't have time to do myself - ammco is doing labor for $200 . If you have right torque wrench , 32mm socket , should be do-able on jack stand. Make sure you have new axle nut. You can rent t.wrench and hub puller from o'reilly. Hard part looks like getting old hub off if its rusted on there - could take a few hammer blows , heat , etc. one smart guy put his old brake rotor on the hub backwards and hammered on that. .. Atlantic British has good YouTube video on the procedure.

If my left is shot at 71 k miles - any thoughts on how long my right front will last ?

I have seen the video at Atlantic British that made me DIY. I have to gather the tools. Hammer blows should work. Yes i was thinking to get the new axle nut too. Mine went of at 114K the left one, so no guarantees when the next one goes out.
Online i have seen most people changed theirs around 90k and most of them changed both if one goes out.

Anudeep (YARRover)

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Online i have seen most people changed theirs around 90k and most of them changed both if one goes out.

Ours went out at 63k Miles - Not a difficult job. I went for a higher end part in hopes it was better than the OEM part.

Attached Files

LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Ours went out at 63k Miles - Not a difficult job. I went for a higher end part in hopes it was better than the OEM part.

Thanks Rob.

Any suggestions while doing it? Its my first time.

Anudeep (YARRover)

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
To echo Jarrod, its not a super-difficult job; give yourself a few hours and you will need access to Torx bits for a few bolts. I used a breaker bar a few times but that was due to our 2006 being a little rusty underneath. I think thats part of the reason the bearing failed at such a low mileage.

Good luck and please post back an update.
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I saw the shop do mine - took less than 30
Mins after they got the wheel off. Breaker bar will help with wheel nut- make sure you have right 32mm socket and torque wrench to put it back on to spec. If you are lucky hub is not rusted on and should come off easy - if rusted on - that is where it gets harder and will chew up time. Make sure you have 3 ton jack stand ... Don't just rely on sissor jack in trunk ...

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Torch, grinder, Jack hammer, then a chisel. I can't see you spending more than 3 hours total on this. It's a complete housing. Sealed bearings tend to fail randomly. I think this set-up should last a few more years. I would just buy another set as a backup incase they other side decides to go out later.

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I saw the shop do mine - took less than 30
Mins after they got the wheel off. Breaker bar will help with wheel nut- make sure you have right 32mm socket and torque wrench to put it back on to spec. If you are lucky hub is not rusted on and should come off easy - if rusted on - that is where it gets harder and will chew up time. Make sure you have 3 ton jack stand ... Don't just rely on sissor jack in trunk ...

Yup I got the jack stands during my oil change. Hope its not rusted, if so i guess i need a hammer. Part is arriving today, so this weekend I am gonna do it. Already feel the vibration while driving. Have to buy or borrow a 32mm socket and torque wrench.

Anudeep (YARRover)

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

To echo Jarrod, its not a super-difficult job; give yourself a few hours and you will need access to Torx bits for a few bolts. I used a breaker bar a few times but that was due to our 2006 being a little rusty underneath. I think thats part of the reason the bearing failed at such a low mileage.

Good luck and please post back an update.

Thanks Rob. Will post my experience once done.

Anudeep (YARRover)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users