Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Heading to Hollister tomorrow

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Torch, grinder, Jack hammer, then a chisel. I can't see you spending more than 3 hours total on this. It's a complete housing. Sealed bearings tend to fail randomly. I think this set-up should last a few more years. I would just buy another set as a backup incase they other side decides to go out later.

Hey Pedram,

Long time we met or spoke. How are you and howz your wife.

I was thinking to buy another one as well as a back up. If its rusted it might take 3 hrs i guess, if not in 2hrs :)

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Socket is cheap at harbor freight ... Get deep one. Kragen/o'reilly rents torque wrench and hub puller for free. Just make sure you get 250 lb/ft wrench - not the smaller one. Big breaker bar from harbor freight is also a good idea ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I can loan you a 32mm socket and breaker bar; bigger as well if you need. I only have torque wrenches to 150 lbs though, so I can't help with that.

I can bring them down to the MORG this Saturday, or I can toss them in the van and bring them with me next week. I'll be working in Oakland and Sausalito.

Let me know what you need - there's a fair chance I'll have it.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
You can rent tools from most auto shops. It's free when you return it.

Those bearings have a left and right application. So just remember to label it.

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

I can loan you a 32mm socket and breaker bar; bigger as well if you need. I only have torque wrenches to 150 lbs though, so I can't help with that.

I can bring them down to the MORG this Saturday, or I can toss them in the van and bring them with me next week. I'll be working in Oakland and Sausalito.

Let me know what you need - there's a fair chance I'll have it.

Thanks Don. I cant make it MORG as my bearing is out. Have to change this weekend. Wil try to rent and do it this weekend if not will ping you next week for the tools i need.

Anudeep (YARRover)

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

You can rent tools from most auto shops. It's free when you return it.

Those bearings have a left and right application. So just remember to label it.

Hey Peed,

What do you mean by left and right application? I actually got the complete hub with bearing. As far as i know hub is same for both fronts. Am i missing something here?

Anudeep (YARRover)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Hub assembly or housing? The bearings don't care which direction they go. But bolts do. If it's a housing that bolts on you need left and right. But if it's a complete bearing then you might need a press to force the bearing into the housing. Which in that case means you need more tools and two of the same parts. I'm free today if your home. Text me or call.... Send a bird.... Tweet.... Oh I don't tweet.

Post pictures so I can see what your up against.

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Hub assembly or housing? The bearings don't care which direction they go. But bolts do. If it's a housing that bolts on you need left and right. But if it's a complete bearing then you might need a press to force the bearing into the housing. Which in that case means you need more tools and two of the same parts. I'm free today if your home. Text me or call.... Send a bird.... Tweet.... Oh I don't tweet.

Post pictures so I can see what your up against.

Hey Ped,

I came late today from work. Just saw your message. I got the part today, if you are free tomorrow or Friday lemme know will meet you.

Thanks.

Anudeep (YARRover)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Maybe Thursday after work.

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank You Pedram. Without you today i dont know how long it would have took to change my bearing. You are the man.

Thanks Again. See you all at MORG . Pedram have all the pictures and write up things to do and not to do and things to take care and tools needed before you start working on your hub change.

Anudeep (YARRover)

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi,

I will be heading to Hollister tomorrow morning if anyone wants to join. Sorry for the late post but if you have no plans and want to join.

I plan to be there around 10:30.

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Don't blow your bags again.... Have fun

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
What, can't get enough of playing in the mud?

Can't make it myself - this weekend is tax time for me. Ugh.

Don

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
I just wanted to test my new suspension. It did really good. I am sure once i get the 33 in tires on it, it will do better.

It didn't rain while I was there, so i stayed away from the mud. :-)

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
oohhh....you got lucky. It's been raining up here all day. Pretty hard occasionally.

I think I still have mud in my driveway from the last trip to Hollister!

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
(Woops, I had to edit this because I thought it was tomorrow - Sunday - duh on my part)

As Don said above, it was pretty muddy for the last MORG. My BFGs are great in most terrain, but they stink in that thick, deep mud. It was a bit scary sliding around near the old obstacle course. :)

Have fun and stay safe..... will you go to the next MORG?
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I think I still have mud in my driveway from the last trip to Hollister!

I do!! And in nooks and crannies on the truck too... Ugh! Still smile when I think of "drifting" all around the Old course :-) hahhaa

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I do!! And in nooks and crannies on the truck too... Ugh! Still smile when I think of "drifting" all around the Old course :-) hahhaa

My underside was pretty caked with mud, even though I did not quite do the drifting like you and Don. I actually highly recommend CA Auto Detail over near you in Redwood City. I had them steam clean my undercarriage and it came out awesome. I wanted a good cleaning before installing my new sliders/skids.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

My underside was pretty caked with mud, even though I did not quite do the drifting like you and Don. I actually highly recommend CA Auto Detail over near you in Redwood City. I had them steam clean my undercarriage and it came out awesome. I wanted a good cleaning before installing my new sliders/skids.

I bet you got your money's worth after that. Drifting was a blast - no doubt. And the reminders are all around me ;-)

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

I bet you got your money's worth after that. Drifting was a blast - no doubt. And the reminders are all around me ;-)

Mine still has the mud .....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users