Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gear and Equipment Review

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
Like many people I love to get new gear. when I see a new piece of equipment I just have to have it. I wish I could get a job testing out new things. Since I can't afford to buy every new thing I see, reading about them will have to suffice. So I thought I'd start a thread for people to post things they really like or even stuff to stay away from. I thought I remembered a post about this from a few years ago but couldn't seem to find it.

I thought I could start with this:

Last year my work purchased a pelican case cooler. We wanted it so we could put it out at our burn trailer and keep water cool and not have to refill the ice everyday. Due to the abrupt and long fire season we didn't use the burn trailer and thus didn't need the cooler.

Fast forward to this last week I used the cooler for a class we had. I didn't want to refill the ice so I used the Pelican. I also wanted to use it because it's our best looking cooler. If you love Pelican Cases like I do you will love the way this cooler looks. It is also built very well. This thing can take a beating. It also holds ice very well;). I put a bag full of ice in the cooler on Thursday and this what it looked like on Monday.

Posted Image

Due to the clips on the lid it has a great seal to maintain the temperature.

This case is super heavy for a cooler. I'm not sure of the size but it can fit slightly more than my ARB fridge and it weighs almost the same. The outside dimensions are a lot bigger than my fridge. The oversize, durable handles on the sides really help for lifting this beast.

Posted Image

The drain plug is nice and big and drains quick.
Posted Image

I wanted to post this because I was talking to Tom Owen at the March MORG about Fridges and how it cools beer to the perfect temperature. But at $800 for the ARB it's not at the top of most peoples list. So some people Might be looking at These super coolers. But at $300 + tax/shipping for the 45 quart you're halfway to getting the fridge.

All in all this is a great cooler but if you can wait I would buy a fridge and save the ice.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I didn't even know Pelican made a cooler, but I guess I'm not surprised.

Here's a video review of some other high-end coolers. I was quite surprised how well the Colman held ice in this review, though it's nowhere near as well built as the more expensive units.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

..... It also holds ice very well;). I put a bag full of ice in the cooler on Thursday and this what it looked like on Monday.

Someone stole the beer though ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Livermore costco has the pelican coolers now. About $300 i think. Might be a tad less. I think a fridge is just the way to go even tho I dont have one (no ice, water leaking into everything, constant temp, can cool down warm drinks mid trip and loved it when I borrowed Bear's thanks man!!) but a cooler doesnt drain your battery, require a power hookup, no parts to fail etc.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Off topic, I like my Engel (ARB) cause it can also freeze for long trips.
On topic: That Pocket Power Jump Start mentioned in the other thread is small and compact. It replaces trying to rewire socket receptacles, long USB wires, jumper cables, extra flashlights. Replacing jumper cables is grand. Less space,less weight. 2 cents.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I will say I have the road shower (roadshower.com) and although it is pricey for a 5 gallon tank and a solar shower (about $300) it does work well for showers. It is pressurized which is really nice and it warms up all day unlike a solar shower bag which can't stay filled on the roof while driving. It will double as a jerry can but to maximize this I recommend changing some of the connectors for water and for shower. here are some pics of mine with the changes. overall I highly recommend it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
I've had the Zodi Hot Shower for about 10yrs. http://www.zodi.com/...t-tap-with-case. Uses propane, comes with 3-4gal hard plastic container. Disadvantage: The pump motors do get moisture in them and freeze up and rust. I've replaced two of them. Also changed the 6v battery case by wiring pump to 12v battery using a 12v to 6v reducer. Found out the pumps are made in China and bought replacements thru Amazon. Another con is possible heating coils rusting or clogging in the future. I usually flush and drain before storing after trip. Price ain't bad under $200. I also used it when we had power outages and needed a hot shower before going to work.
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I should add that you can add boiling water to the roadshower tank (jetboil is awesome for this) and it heats the water up fast.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I will say I have the road shower (roadshower.com) and although it is pricey for a 5 gallon tank and a solar shower (about $300) it does work well for showers. It is pressurized which is really nice and it warms up all day unlike a solar shower bag which can't stay filled on the roof while driving. It will double as a jerry can but to maximize this I recommend changing some of the connectors for water and for shower. here are some pics of mine with the changes. overall I highly recommend it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Hey Chris,

Judging by the photos here and on the site, it looks like this would be fairly easy to reproduce with PVC pipe and some fittings from the hardware store... Do you agree or is there more to it than meets the eye. Reason I ask is because it would be cool to make a custom version depending on rack/load/space etc... twin tanks, hook it up to the ARB compressor with it's own pressure relief valve, etc... :-) Thanks

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
I've looked into that option and haven't been able to find a PVC pipe with a large enough diameter. Try using an online calculator to find the volume of water you want based on the diameter and length.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
Not much of a product review, but I just replaced my first Pelican case under their lifetime warranty. It was an orange 1600 purchased off Craigslist about a year ago. After the Shaver trip the front part of the main case cracked near the corner. I emailed Pelican and they replied after a day or two with a list of info they needed from me. Once that was sent, I got the RMA number. Some pictures of the crack were sent as well since it was easier than typing what and where the issue was.

You do have to pay for shipping there and back to you. Lucky for us they are just down south in Torrance so it was pretty cheap (about $20 from Redwood City) and fast. The case was sent, with a check inside for $10 return shipping, last Wed. and the brand new case just arrived. It was a very easy process.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Tom are you asking if the tank could be made of PVC or the tubing? All of the fittings are from the hardware store, it's the tank that's the secret. The aluminum heats up better than PVC. As for routing of tubing that's easy peasy with connectors and flexible tubing. As for the compressor part, that is easy just hook up an air tank and a 15psi regulator. It's on my list of things but since showering while camping is a handful of times a year thing i'm ok just using my compressor or CO2 cartridges for bike tires.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
Chris, are there any baffles inside the tank to keep the water from sloshing around?

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I'm sure I could find 6" PVC, but even painted black I don't think it would work as well as the metal tube. One possible 'benefit' of not hooking it up to OBA/compressor is you won't use the water as fast! That's a fairly limited volume of hot water, so I'm sure taking it easy is the rule.

Tom are you asking if the tank could be made of PVC or the tubing? All of the fittings are from the hardware store, it's the tank that's the secret. The aluminum heats up better than PVC. As for routing of tubing that's easy peasy with connectors and flexible tubing. As for the compressor part, that is easy just hook up an air tank and a 15psi regulator. It's on my list of things but since showering while camping is a handful of times a year thing i'm ok just using my compressor or CO2 cartridges for bike tires.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I've seen the 6" black PVC around...but the conductive properties of the aluminum makes sense to me... and strength. I was slightly kidding about the arb part but co2 cartridges... that's a cool idea!!

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
No baffles but it is a narrow tube and I haven't noticed any issues. This tank has a car stem welded on for pressurizing so bike pumps, CO2, etc all work. Awesome for showers. Still get a pretty good shower from a tank. More refreshing with the pressure.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
That shower looks very nice but is a bit pricey. I bought the NEMO Helios shower but have yet to use it. Obviously smaller and won't handle boiling water, but good for washing dishes as well as a shower and is very compact. http://www.nemoequip...roduct/?p=Helio Pressure Shower

My favorite piece of gear: hands down my ARB 50qt fridge. Never a problem in 4 years of continuous use. Its always running in my home keeping beer and extra groceries cold and transported to the rovers for trips. Transforms camping to a pleasurable experience and saves tons of food, not mention always having a cold brew on hand.

A few other pieces of gear I like:

Goal Zero Extreme350 - runs my ARB fridge at night or at basecamp. Hooked to 60+watts of solar panels, they recharge the battery and run the fridge indefinitely. Just used it at a picnic where I could have the fridge at the picnic while having to park further away.

Chairs: GSI Pico chair and Alite Mayfly chair. Both very compact and light

Primus double burner stove and grill/single burner. The grill works quite well, but can be a messy cleanup.

Snow Peak Titanium plates and bowls. Durable, light and no metallic taste. We use these at home with the kids as well so they get lots of use and therefore I can justify the costs. We also use them as our plates for the backyard dinners. Titanium sparks because they are just too cool.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
Teds,
I don't recommend GoalZero. 1) Too Pricey. 2) Accessories are Proprietary and Pricey. I bought a 30w PV, 30A regulator, 20ft extension cable for over $230. I was going to addon another PV panel to upgrade and no generics would matchup. I researched and bought a 100w PV, regulator, and cables for under $200. You could call them generic but my new solars are the same used in home/commerical applications.
If you really want a GoalZero, PM me and I'll make a good deal on my used one.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
Still waiting for Chris to extol the virtues of the Jet Boil!

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Oh you know I love my jetboil. Made coffee, soup, chilli, fried my SPAM up*, pretty kept this beast fed for the weekend. I have the sumo mug too. Holds more water etc for making pasta etc.

*fry pan required

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users