Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 bumper time

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
And so, the completed project:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that's how you install a 'bolt on' ARB bumper. Brought to you by our supporting sponsors, Lincoln welders and Milwaukee power tools.

Posted Image

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Gallery of many photos....

http://s816.photobuc...RB front bumper

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Nice write up Don. I suggested ARB should be called ARP for "A Real Pain". I guess if you have the time and patience you can do anything. Really glad I want building a front bumper for this.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Hey Don,

WOW! Here I thought Pedram and I had a tough install with my ARB front bumper, your journey takes the cake! That was quite an install and I am beyond impressed at you and Pedram's modification skills to get the bumper to fit.

In the end, it looks fantastic and definitely offers some great protection. I have to say I have not been impressed with ARB's customer service. I had the issue of them forgetting to include all of the mounting hardware and then I received the bumper with a few nick marks and scratches. I really feel as though they should have done a better job with your fitment issues.

Now that the bumpers are done, time for the roof rack! :-) HAHA, no that should be a piece of cake. Congratulations - it looks awesome.

Regards, David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
OK, here is a stupid question on my part. Is there a benefit to hooking the end of the winch to the location where you have it? I have mine just pulled in to the loop. Any reason why that might not be as good?
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

OK, here is a stupid question on my part. Is there a benefit to hooking the end of the winch to the location where you have it? I have mine just pulled in to the loop. Any reason why that might not be as good?

Since you have a steel line I would leave it alone. Don has the rope. His flexes easily and won't bind. David you could put it in the same place but if your looking for a benefit.... There is none.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

You should post a picture of the light switch.

During the install of my ARB front bumper, Pedram came up with the awesome idea of installing my RIGID Dually off-road light switch on my stock LR4 light plate. That is a great idea, but I was a little nervous about drilling a hole in the light plate on my 2013 LR4 with less than 7,000 miles. Yikes.

Posted Image

So, I held my breath and Pedram drilled the light plate:

Posted Image

In the end, after some plastic shaving and fitting, the location of the light switch could not be more clean.

Posted Image
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Since you have a steel line I would leave it alone. Don has the rope. His flexes easily and won't bind. David you could put it in the same place but if your looking for a benefit.... There is none.

Thank you! I thought it may have something to do with the fact that Don has synthetic rope. I will leave mine as is in the current location.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Yeah, I have to admit I'm not going to be joining the ARB fan club any time soon. I too had a number of nicks and scratches upon arrival, but I wasn't too worried about it. After all, the goal is to scratch it up anyway, right? :) But it was a heck of a job getting it to fit and to tell the truth it's not that heavily built. I wouldn't use it for a rock crawler bumper to be sure. To be fair it's not designed for that sort of work so I can't complain about that, but I would like to at least see some recovery points on it instead of just relying on the stock one. I may add some eventually; there seems to be a good place to do bolt-on points on either side of the winch.

Where I hooked the winch cable may not be the best place really, but it was convenient. It will scratch the bumper though if I'm not careful.

Like any good project, I'm not done with it. I'm just taking a break for a while. There will be a rack. And maybe some lighting. And I have some other ideas as well. We'll see....

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Yeah, I have to admit I'm not going to be joining the ARB fan club any time soon. I too had a number of nicks and scratches upon arrival, but I wasn't too worried about it. After all, the goal is to scratch it up anyway, right? :) But it was a heck of a job getting it to fit and to tell the truth it's not that heavily built. I wouldn't use it for a rock crawler bumper to be sure. To be fair it's not designed for that sort of work so I can't complain about that, but I would like to at least see some recovery points on it instead of just relying on the stock one. I may add some eventually; there seems to be a good place to do bolt-on points on either side of the winch.

Where I hooked the winch cable may not be the best place really, but it was convenient. It will scratch the bumper though if I'm not careful.

Like any good project, I'm not done with it. I'm just taking a break for a while. There will be a rack. And maybe some lighting. And I have some other ideas as well. We'll see....

Hey Don,

I completely agree with what you wrote above about the ARB bumper. I think it offers plenty of protection for what I would use my LR4 for at this time and definitely would not stand up to heavy rock crawling. I would also like to see a couple more recovery points and curious where you think they could be located?

I really like the look and functionality of the bumper, but a bit disappointed with their customer service and support. It seems like every ARB bumper is delivered with a few nicks and scratches, which is not the biggest deal for me as that will happen on the trails. I do plan to eventually touch them up with paint. Speaking of which, do you think a satin black paint would cover nicely? What would you recommend as a touch-up paint? I asked ARB and they said, oh we don't offer touch-up paint. Gee thanks.

Regards, David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I used Rustoleum satin black. Where I just had nicks I sprayed some in the cap and used a q-tip to dab it on. It's not perfect, but it's a fair match.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Yeah use rustolem satin black. It blends well and will last forever if not actually scratched off again.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Thanks! I have a can of Rustoleum outdoor satin black, so that will work perfect. I plan to do the touch ups sometime in the next few weeks after I finally wash the truck. Then again, I might as well wait until after I go off roading and keep a can handy to touch up post-trail scratches. I don't really care much about looks, just want to protect the nicks/scratches against potential rust.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
In that case use a florescent orange to highlight your scratches.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

In that case use a florescent orange to highlight your scratches.

Haha, well I do care a little. Although, you know me.... I am more concerned about durability and function, rather than looks. There were a few times you were asking me, are you sure you want to drill here or there? Hahaha!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

JPerkins

JPerkins

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Don,

If you're planning to add some lights to the bumper, here is a write up on one of the other LR forums I did to utilize a factory driving light switch:

Over the weekend I fitted the Factory Lr3 2nd driving light switch to my IPF 960 driving lights. This is the switched used with the factor driving light kit and the good news is that switch and mounting kit available seperately from the $700+ driving light kit. I figured I post a quick How-To since it took me quite a while to figure out the 5 pins coming out for the switch in order to get everything to work (i.e. driving lights on/off, lighting of the switch with dimming, and the orange light illumination when the switch is on) since I wasn't able to find the factory wire diagram for the new switch itself.

Below are the part numbers you need and I purchased mine from parts.com as they are the cheapest place I could find for these factory parts.

VUB502860 - Fitting/Mounting kit for Driving Lght Switch. Includes templates, mount, cover, & instructions to mount the switch
(note: the fittmet instructions can also be found on TOPIX in the "Driving Light Kit" instructions)

XKB500080 - Driving Light Switch

The two parts above should come to just under $50 + shipping and you need both of them.

Below is the wire diagram to make it super simple to wire everything up. (DISCLAIMER: this wire diagram worked on my North American 2008 LR3 HSE, I assume it should work on all LR3s per the Factory wiring diagram I referenced, but you assume all risk if you choose to give it a go):

Posted Image

Pics of the install:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Note: you will need to cut into the dash, just to the left of the Nav screen. Not a big deal to do and the cover that you get with the fitting kit covers the cut to make it pretty as you see in the photos above.
2008 LR3 HSE w/LUX, Cold Climate, and HD (aka rear locker) Packages

Additions: ARB front bumper, Warn 9.5 XP w/synthetic rope, Rover Specialties Sliders, Traxide Dual Battery isolator w/marine link switch & dual rear outlets, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZs, Bajarack LR3 Standard Rack, IPF 960s w/factory driving light switch, GVIF w/front & rear cameras, G4 Ladder, Rear swing out tire carrier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users