Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Freezing/archiving comments on 'old' threads (> 6mo. with no activity)

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
I've noticed that in other forums they often 'freeze' comments on older/archived threads (or at the very least, mark it/color it so it's obviously an old thread). Can we start doing something like that as well? One unusual phenomenon that occurs on the NCLR forums is the resurrection of really old (+1-2 years) threads by a new post.

This in itself doesn't cause problems per se, but I find it more difficult to read a thread that started back in 2011 and has been bumped once each year because it's a recurring event (like a MORG or a sanctioned event.)... so instead of one thread per year, it's really like 3 mini-threads (1 per year) all concatenated mainly because the title fits and the thread is still accepting new posts.

Curious to know if anyone else agrees; equally I'm just as interested in those who feel the opposite and like the way it works...

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Curious to know if anyone else agrees; equally I'm just as interested in those who feel the opposite and like the way it works...

Maybe for trip threads that are time-related, but something like a technical thread should remain open. If there is a thread on, say, how to install an LT230 and someone wants to ask a question, then it is better to keep all the information in one place rather than have 3 mini-threads with people posting links to the other threads.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Maybe for trip threads that are time-related, but something like a technical thread should remain open. If there is a thread on, say, how to install an LT230 and someone wants to ask a question, then it is better to keep all the information in one place rather than have 3 mini-threads with people posting links to the other threads.

Regards,

Graeme

Good point, as I was primarily thinking about trip based threads but it sounds as if there are (at least) two distinct types of forum threads, each of which would benefit from different handling. I would agree that a technical thread should not be closed since the institutional knowledge is being built up over time and we want to leverage the depth of the past thread.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Regards,

Graeme

x2. Trip threads should be closed once the trip is over and the trip report and pictures have been posted. I remember a few years ago an Annual Event thread was resurrected and some cross posting was happening. It was rather confusing until I realized what the initial post date was.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
Or for sale items?? I have had some parts on here & LRR for sale for over 2 years and keep resurrecting it and recently sold something.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
I would like to see something for just the Morg's. It would be nice to have just one thread for people to talk about the upcoming Morg(s)

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover
We could easily apply it to specific forum sections. While having other sections not have the auto-prune feature.

Waiting on the OK to add a Calender / Event system which would heavily help out with event planning etc.

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
And also delete or freeze the old ones.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Can we post on that actual thread if we wanted to delete it first before it's automatically done? I feel like I spend some time posting pictures in my threads that if it was deleted all that information would be lost. Like my trailer build and other things I had done in the past.

On another note, trip reports are great if you need to find info from last years posts as well. If we have some new guys join our club and have no idea what to expect at least we can say here look at these. But adding new comments I think should be noted so they don't think it's active. Just block comments on those. I don't know if deleting things that are informative is a good approach.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Can we post on that actual thread if we wanted to delete it first before it's automatically done? I feel like I spend some time posting pictures in my threads that if it was deleted all that information would be lost. Like my trailer build and other things I had done in the past.

On another note, trip reports are great if you need to find info from last years posts as well. If we have some new guys join our club and have no idea what to expect at least we can say here look at these. But adding new comments I think should be noted so they don't think it's active. Just block comments on those. I don't know if deleting things that are informative is a good approach.

Hey Pedram; I agree that we don't want to delete anything... that would be bad. I think the general feeling so far is that we would manage threads that were time-based, such as trip posts and event posts, to be archived so they wouldn't get new information added to them after a certain 'dwell time'. They would still show up in search, be in the forum and all photos would still be there as well; it simply means that no new posts would be accepted against those older threads. Additionally it sounds like folks want threads like technical discussions and sale/classifieds posts to remain open in perpetuity.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions - keep them coming if you have anything else...

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users