Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So close...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
we are getting the "causeway grey" one with the black pack (black rims and lettering etc, all cosmetic). The white one in livermore sold quickly. The story is the GM bought the car off their lot for his wife who really wanted a RRS but they didn't have one in stock. So he saw this one, knew it was awesome and grabbed it. then left it in his garage while he went traveling and his daughter took it to SB's where it was hit while parked. When the GM returned they had gotten a RRS on the lot so his wife got that one. I asked the salesperson again if it was available as it was still on the website. they got back to me that it is was etc so we are negotiating etc. they are trying to figure out what to give us (swag wise) to make up for the accident instead of lowering the price. I told them it depends on how it is reported. If there will be a car fax ding then no amount of swag will help, only money. I also told them that my wife's current lease is up in Nov and if we didn't find an LR4 for her by then she was going to get the Audi Q7 TDI because she really doesn't care for either car. They would just be mom mobiles. Since I get the LR4 when she is done with it if we went that route I have been on overtime finding one ::bigsmile::::yellowlandy::

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

My backside is more padded than yours Griff (along with every other inch of me) so my CT is pretty comfy. Also persistence pays off as we are most likely (98% certain) we are going to buy the one pictured. Long story but we have right if first refusal, already have financing cleared/set up, and are going to go drive it today and sign papers. Now in the interim it was sideswiped in a Starbucks' parking lot. Nothing too bad but is getting new door skins and maybe a tag on carfax (which will help us for final pricing). It does not have the HD package but is wired for towing. So when the CT is down (which is hopefully less but currently has a stalling issue from some bad diesel) I will still have a ride!

The Starbucks parking lot ranks up there with the Dusy in terms of unwanted contact damage...::bigsmile:: will the LR4 be outfitted for the trails once you get it or will it continue to live a pampered life of lattes and parking lots?

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Oh it will be pampered for awhile (although I will be testing my ninja skills and will be adding armor on the sly). Once it is all mine tho we are talking P-FAB rear bumper and ARB front etc....woohahahahahahahaha

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
No honey, those aren't not 'rock sliders', they're side steps to make it easier for you to get in....

As for the pampered life of Lattes...it sounds like that's more risky than trail life!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

those aren't not 'rock sliders', they're side steps to make it easier for you to get in....

Don't forget the electric winch; a must and can be used to pull your truck thru the Starbucks drive-thruvs vs using the gas engine; winch is electric after all and better for the environment.

Joking set aside, congrats Chris on the LR4.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
So it is a done deal. It is getting 2 new doors and a new rim (it was scratched so I figured I would ask) and should be ready next week or so. Once we take possession the obligatory driveway shot will be posted.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Congrats Christopher..... Well to both you and your wife.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Thanks!! I have been given permission to get it dirty if I need to at the annual :)

So I need to know what the must do changes are.

1. Change that bleeder valve thingy...what did the LR4 owners use?
2. ?????

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Sliders but only after you change your compressor

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Invest in a GAP IId tool. Lucky8 has them as well as others. Aside from all it's diagnostic capabilities, it can also adjust ride heights. You may not want a set of Johnson rods right away if the wife will be commuting in it, but with the GAP tool you can set a couple of pre-set heights and adjust it in seconds. Actual height adjustment available will vary by truck based on where the sensors are in their travel on your particular rig. The 'best' solution is a combination of rods and the GAP tool; then you can get pretty much any height you want.

Well, I say best. But there are solutions out there that let you adjust on the fly where this doesn't. I don't know anybody running them though.

Also keep your eyes open for a set of stock LR3 base model 18" wheels. When you get around to wheeling it the 18s give you more tire options, though you do need a spacer to run them on the LR4. The stock 19s are extremely limited. Or you can get really cool and look at the Compomotive wheels like David has (also 18"), Or L8 has some new steel 17" wheels for the LR3 and maybe the LR4 that open up a world of tires as you're looking at the Jeep market then.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Sliders but only after you change your compressor

Yes - I'd recommend the Tactical sliders highly. I'll be happy to show you all the scars I've got in mine just this year. They saved my bacon (i.e. doors) running Snake Lake last week. Combine them with the gas tank and transfer case skids and you've got pretty good coverage for the bottom of the truck. Nice to have since you can't really lift these things much or run a lot of tire.

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
cool thanks guys…def will be awhile before i can get too much slapped on. P, why do I need to change the compressor? (i read that the changed them and they sit lower starting 2012/2013, is that the reason? bc I also read that there was a bracket to move the compressor up to allow for the skids)

Don, yes I am def looking at the Tactical Sliders when the time is right. the OBD gap tool is on the list for sure, not just for ride height but as we are buying this for long term family/mom mobile use and then NCLR abuse later I know I will need it. Also, next time we get together I will def need to check yours out more closely now that I have a reason. I like everything you have done to yours (not forgetting P-Fab!!). Yes once it is mine I will be looking for 18's etc. I have at least a few years before I can take over so it will be a very slow build process. I have been checking out the overland journal's LR4 build for inspiration.

For now I need to get my stalling on the CT under control. Just in case anyone has ideas: it starts/runs well. no loss of power but as you are cruising it will stall and then start up again with either a blip of the throttle or pushing in the clutch and releasing. doesn't matter what gear or speed or if I am accelerating hard or easy. I have changed the fuel filter, drained the sedimenter, added a water displacing elixir to it, drained a majority of the tank and put in 12 gal (out of 20) of known good diesel and she still stalls. very frustrating. I thought clogged injectors or something in the fuel system but to have her run so well I don't think this is the case. the consensus on defender source is that it is water in the diesel so I working with that theory for now. have more elixir in the tank and once running well will change the fuel filter again. If the CT is still stalling by the annual I have permission to bring the new LR4….win win for me!!!

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

My backside is more padded than yours Griff (along with every other inch of me) so my CT is pretty comfy. Also persistence pays off as we are most likely (98% certain) we are going to buy the one pictured. Long story but we have right if first refusal, already have financing cleared/set up, and are going to go drive it today and sign papers. Now in the interim it was sideswiped in a Starbucks' parking lot. Nothing too bad but is getting new door skins and maybe a tag on carfax (which will help us for final pricing). It does not have the HD package but is wired for towing. So when the CT is down (which is hopefully less but currently has a stalling issue from some bad diesel) I will still have a ride!

Sorry to hear about the side swipe, but congrats on a new LR4. I love mine (this is my second one) and I know you will really enjoy it. Do you think you will take it for some off roading? My 2011 did not have the HD package and it was plenty capable. I definitely notice a difference in some terrain, but non-HD are great.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Yes I will off road it but probably not right away as it is my wife's DD and it is for her, for now.... woohahahahaha

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Congrats on the addition. I can already see Roxson sitting in the driver's seat playing with the Gap tool making the truck go up and down.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4
Hi Chris,

Congrats on the new Disco4. This is an awesome car and far more capable than people give it credit (Ask Chuck as in Death Valley my Disco4 did really hard core trails of the same difficulty as Rubicon. I honestly didn't imagine it can do that much). Mine is also not an HD and honestly never got myself into a situation (and I do go hard wheeling) when I actually felt that I needed it (and the cost of the special transfer case oil that is required if you have an HD package is couple times more the regular one). Let me know if you have any questions outfitting it. I went a bit different route than David (I have a hidden winch and not an ARB bumper) but also installed Tactical Rovers sliders, transfer case and gas tank skid plates. I had them for nearly two years and you can see that they saved me many times. Chuck was pretty impressed with them in DV as we had to use them quite a lot. I also decided to go with LR3 wheels and spacers as I wanted to have 6 wheels (4 + 2 spare ones for long term expeditions - e.g. Death Valley / Alaska / Oregon). Of course the GAP tool is a must. That being said, I also bought rods but mine were made in Australia as I they have a bit different design (you don't have to reinstall them to go to regular height as they are adjustable) and allow +65mm raise which is more than anything else on the market.

I am planning a rear bumper (hi Pedram...) as having a BFG AT/KO in the spare wheel holder is possible but is a b***h if I must be honest as it takes ages to take on/off....

So happy more folks are getting LR3/LR4s..... To be honest - I really suck at mechanics and thus having more folks like You and Don is GREAT!!!!

Send more pics!!!!

Ciao,

Michal

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
For now the only real mod/addition will be the GAP tool as this will lead a pampered life for a bit. I still have many rough miles left in the CT (with that said I won't be passing up deals on sliders/armor etc)

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
So here are some pics of the damage...annoying but not bad and it will all be gone when we get her. [ATTACH]5397[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5398[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5399[/ATTACH]

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Congrats on the addition. I can already see Roxson sitting in the driver's seat playing with the Gap tool making the truck go up and down.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Sweet truck Chris! Can't wait to see it.

I bought an all metal bleeder valve from falconworks. I will post some pics soon.

Because these beasts weigh 6k pounds they go through brakes and suspension parts quickly, control arms/tie rods/etc.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users