Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Red Rover Project #1: New Exhaust

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Thanks Jared

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Okay folks, here's what we've got thus far:
Me: Orange, RRC
Tom: Orange, 1996 Disco I
Pedram: Orange, Disco I
Jason: Orange, 1996 Disco I

Jared,

I was going to keep quiet on this ... but ...

Just make sure that people know what they are buying as the standard kit type are not the better "hardcore" Polybushes which are bonded onto metal like the original rubber. The standard kit is split poly like most others, but are dispensed cast and cured, not cheap injection molded like some other makes. The radius arm bushes alone will be around $320 (front and rear) for the hardcore whereas the normal complete kit should come out around $210, plus shipping.

Orange is a good choice for LRs as blue is too soft for all but serious trail rigs. I only use red on my old road cars (make a Triumph handle like it should have done).

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Thanks Graeme for clearing that up. I wasn't sure what this kit was going to cost but that's a good estimate.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Jared,

I was going to keep quiet on this ... but ...

Glad you didn't, Graeme. I wasn't aware of the difference, but feel more informed. I think I'll try this standard kit and see how it fares.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
So just to be clear we are ordering these:

http://www.lucky8llc...?ProductID=3018

Correct?

And how about bushingfest 2014? Over on Jared's bushing thread I purposed 3 weekend in Oct. does that work for anyone?

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

So just to be clear we are ordering these:

http://www.lucky8llc...?ProductID=3018

Correct?

Correct.

And how about bushingfest 2014? Over on Jared's bushing thread I purposed 3 weekend in Oct. does that work for anyone?

Works for me. I already penciled it in & I'll post it on the calendar shortly.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Thanks Graeme. The Orange/Medium should work fine for my poser-rig helping it to creak, knock and jolt less on the pot-hole ridden, speed bump infused driveway at Coco's school. May also handle a little firmer on the roadway on those all too rare occasions where it actually leaves the pavement ;-)

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Parts are ordered. Discount isn't huge because his margin on Polybush isn't very big (I think it comes out to about $200 each)... He says that the parts should be in stock on Monday and will send them out shortly thereafter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Sweet. Thanks everyone.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Parts are ordered. Discount isn't huge because his margin on Polybush isn't very big (I think it comes out to about $200 each)... He says that the parts should be in stock on Monday and will send them out shortly thereafter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jared

Thanks Jared! As for shipping, are they all going to the same place? your place? Or did you ship them directly To BushingPalooza HQ?? Haha... We can settle up at the Peninsula gathering... /to

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
Who do I pay and when/how

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Thanks Jared! As for shipping, are they all going to the same place? your place? Or did you ship them directly To BushingPalooza HQ?? Haha... We can settle up at the Peninsula gathering... /to

I had them shipped to my house... I'll bring them out early that AM to Jason's place and will sell them out of the back of my truck, first-come-first-served... hopefully the folks that ordered them are the first to show up. ::bigsmile::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
We have to keep this on the DL, the popo might see your bushing deal and might intervene.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
I do have a cop for a neighbor. And an FBI agent. Just sayin

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Good thing nobody is bringing any Defenders

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Oh I see... Hint hint. Bring coffee and doughnuts.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Oh I see... Hint hint. Bring coffee and doughnuts.

Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

We haven't had the opportunity to actually drive the Red Rover because of all of the suspension work -- after finishing we took it to dinner last night to road test. I noticed a weird popping sound coming from the muffler that sits just past the LH driver's side. Below is a video of the noise and you can see the vibration. You'll note in the video that if I lightly push on the muffler, the loudness is reduced considerably.

Muffler "popping" noise

I haven't correlated exactly what conditions make it happen; it's more frequent when sitting at idle, especially if the engine has not been running long.

It seems to disappear once the exhaust system gets sufficiently hot.

-Jared

UPDATE: I've run the engine a couple of times since I took it out to Hollister (no noise there either) & haven't heard the noise since I originally posted this. Question: is it likely to come back if it is a loose baffle or do they sometimes 'fix' themselves?

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
A loose baffle would mean a weld that was broken or never welded down good in the first place on the inside of the muffler. It's possible that the exhaust pressure finally pushed it into a position where it won't rattle. The question is will it stay that way. Hard to say. It's not 'fixed', so it could come back. I guess the question is 'do you feel lucky'? Or maybe, 'how tired are you of messing with the exhaust?'.

The right thing would be to replace it. But it's a PITA since you have to remove it, ship it back, wait on them to send the new one, then re-install. As you know, if it does fail again it's not going to disable the truck, it's just going to be annoying. So it's not a critical component in that regard.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

A loose baffle would mean a weld that was broken or never welded down good in the first place on the inside of the muffler. It's possible that the exhaust pressure finally pushed it into a position where it won't rattle. The question is will it stay that way. Hard to say. It's not 'fixed', so it could come back. I guess the question is 'do you feel lucky'? Or maybe, 'how tired are you of messing with the exhaust?'.

The right thing would be to replace it. But it's a PITA since you have to remove it, ship it back, wait on them to send the new one, then re-install. As you know, if it does fail again it's not going to disable the truck, it's just going to be annoying. So it's not a critical component in that regard.

Ya, you're saying what I figured, Don. I'm mainly wanting to be done with it, but it's probably best to just get it replaced. Guess I'll call AB tomorrow morning.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users