Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

1992 Range Rover Classic - suspension bushing installation

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

NeverHome

NeverHome

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
More pictures of "four guys"
[ATTACH]5547[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5548[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Michele is in Seattle this week.
Washington state has more glaciers than the other 47 contiguous states combined

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
The day got started around 6:30 AM for Erin and I; we made the drive up to Loomis and met up with Tom and Don who were already at Jason's by the time we arrived at 9:30.

Before we started on bushings, Tom squeezed in a steering box replacement... Jason had a difficult time getting the pittman arm off so they grabbed another one that was sitting around (I think the old one is still attached to the old box...)

Next we started the front bushings on the Red Rover and Tom's Disco I. The radius arms came out relatively easy; additionally the old bushings pushed out with the press without issue. Panhard rod was equally non-eventful.

Once we got to the trailing arms, we had an issue getting the Polybushes to stay seated (they are split into two parts) while pushing the inner metal sleeve in. It took a while to get it all aligned but once we figured out one, the others became an assembly line.

With the use of ratchet straps, we moved the axle to align all of the bolts and get everything back in place. Once the first two trucks were completed, we were running low on sunlight so all four of us started on Jason's Disco.

After having done 4x of everything already, we had essentially found best practices that let us wrap up the final truck in about 40 minutes.

Packed up our stuff and once we were finished we all went to the backyard and had a campfire with Reese's S'mores... ::bigsmile::

Posted Image

...and that's where I'm still sitting. I'll do another post once I've spent more time on the bushings.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Just got back home a few minutes ago. All went well; no drama. Well, some minor drama when a can of spray silicon fell of the press while it was under pressure and sprang a leak, shooting around in a circle while leaving the driveway with a lemony fresh scent.

Oddly the 'complete' bushing kits did not include the rear uppers. Oh well, as it was we finished up just as we lost the light.

Jason was so nice, he even hired a band.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Thanks all for coming and tolerating our construction zone of a house. It was great to see everyone and thanks for the help on my rig. Tom stuck around this morning and helped me install a couple of O2 sensors from amazon that arrived on a Sunday in a USPS truck? Apparently they're in cahoots now, who knew. On a side note I did find a 6" long (not measured with Toms ruler) 3/8 drive craftsmen ratchet under my rig that doesn't belong to me. Don? Jared? Who's missing one?

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
sounds small enough that it's possibly mine... thanks Jason. Really appreciate you hosting us and will see you on the trails with your new orange bushings. ::amuse::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Jared. If it's yours drop me a message with where you would like me to send it.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Nope, not mine. I'm pretty sure that was Jared's

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
No it's mine. I flew over there with my tools.....

How, or where, was this fire pit allowed? It looks huge. Man I missed my chance to get my bushings bushed.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
The fire pit was in the back yard. When you've got an acre+ of land you can do that sort of thing.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Next we'll have to schedule Airbagapalooza and get all the LR3 guys together when I finally get around to doing the shocks on my rig.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Jared. If it's yours drop me a message with where you would like me to send it.

Oh, it's no rush -- we'll probably be on the trail at some point again and you can bring it with you.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Next we'll have to schedule Airbagapalooza and get all the LR3 guys together when I finally get around to doing the shocks on my rig.

Are you thinking about removing the EAS, Don? Your avatar picture would suggest the air suspension is doing a pretty decent job... ::amuse::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
No, though I see kits at AB that would be cheaper than what I want to do!

I think the plan will be a set of those nifty orange bushings like you guys have + a set off Koni FSD shocks with the original air bags. Just got a shipping quote of 110 pounds (sorry, I don't have a nifty pound symbol on my keyboard) from the UK for a set, for a total of 805 pounds. I'll have to do the conversion, but that's around $1200 I think. Pretty salty. I also have a couple of inquiries in with US distributors about getting a set here.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
BTW, how do you guys like the poly bushes so far? You should at least have some highway miles on them now.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

No, though I see kits at AB that would be cheaper than what I want to do!

I think the plan will be a set of those nifty orange bushings like you guys have + a set off Koni FSD shocks with the original air bags. Just got a shipping quote of 110 pounds (sorry, I don't have a nifty pound symbol on my keyboard) from the UK for a set, for a total of 805 pounds. I'll have to do the conversion, but that's around $1200 I think. Pretty salty. I also have a couple of inquiries in with US distributors about getting a set here.

Woah! That's a lot of shipping.

Here's a pound to help: £

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

BTW, how do you guys like the poly bushes so far? You should at least have some highway miles on them now.

I like them fine -- with all of the other suspension work we did on the shocks and coils, the bushings weren't going to be a huge difference in comparison to raising the vehicle two inches and stopping it from bottoming out on the bump stops. ::bigsmile::

I still need to do some work on the steering -- there is a pretty large null area before turning the steering wheel does anything to the wheels themselves. At highway speeds, this is manageable but could be a lot better. It's especially noticeable after driving the 2012 Range Rover, where you can't nudge the steering wheel without it being transmitted to the wheels... much more sensitive.

So I might be troubleshooting that out next... need to look at the steering box, its adjuster, the mounting, the pitman arm, tie rod ends, etc. etc. *sigh*... here we go again!

Get your expensive-to-ship shocks and bushings and we'll make a day of it. Jason & Tom already proved that the steering box can be done in a AM...

-Jared

Edited by RedRover, 21 October 2014 - 07:09 AM.
apostrophes where they don't belong...

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I think the plan will be a set of those nifty orange bushings like you guys have

By the way, I have another bushing kit since *someone* was a no-show to BushingFest 2014... oh wait, they won't fit an LR3... ::cheesy::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Don, A friend of mine told me of a company in Canada that has replacement airbags that he has used with great success. Apparently MUCH better (read- more durable) than stock... If interested I'll find out the name.

As for the results, I like both the steering box AND the bushings. Everything is tight and clunk free again. There is MUCH more of the road-feel transmitted TO the steering wheel with the new bushings and I'm glad I replaced the steering stabilizer recently b/c I feel that the previous, worn out bushings were soaking up a lot of the little bumps and stuff. So when that firms up, something else has to give..

The steering box is dialed in too (thanks again for the ATF Jarin ;-) A decent amount of resistance (amount of energy to rotate steering wheel), e.g. more than an old Pontiac 1-finger, lock to lock set-up ;-) but it is the same as my '00 Land Cruiser. Good steering response as well and that is helped by the Polys.

BushingFest Report:

Thanks Jason and Tegan for hosting BushingFest'14 and to Don and Michelle for coming up just to lend support and a helping hand. It was awesome to see everyone get in a rhythm working on the trucks ; 2 here, 2 there calling out ideas to problems, extra hands pitching in as needed all sharing in the solutions, a little banter back and forth, etc... and with light fading, everyone jumped in on the last truck (Jason's ;-) and it looked like a Nascar pit stop! Parts were flying, press was pressing, impact guns, pneumatic tools, sockets,.... I think we got that truck on and off the jacks in about 40 min.

A few photos...

My truck turned 114k on this trip
Posted Image

BushingFest took place at (what I have dubbed) Discovery Ranch ;-)

Posted Image

Chase and I settled right in (sorry Ron, it's the Other beer and yes, like any good guest, I brought deodorant ;-)

Posted Image

A great meal with my hosts, a little garage prep and we are ready for BushingFest 2014!
The morning at Discovery Ranch started a big breakfast and a hike to Folsom Lake and back to shake out any remaining cobwebs of "the city" This is not what I expected but just what I needed...

Then the work begins. As a gracious Host, Jason pulls my truck into the #1 spot and we get started (By "we" I mean that I was there too... ;-)

Posted Image

After tearing down the front end, "we" started on the steering box before Don (DHAPPLE) arrives with a truck full of jacks, tools and know-how and soon after Jared (REDROVER) and Erin (ERINW.RRC ) arrive in "the RRC that started it all..." with the parts. Soon after Michele (NEVERHOME) arrives with cold beverages and an extra pair of helpful hands!

Posted Image

Time to Press on and get some bushings R&R'd

Posted Image

Posted Image

It became a Festival of Rovers and Bushings... ;-)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.owenfotos...57_36_Raw-M.jpg

Thanks again Jason (JFULLER) and Tegan for hosting me as a house-guest and hosting BushingFest '14 at your beautiful home!

Pedram, you were missed but when the client calls...

(Link to Gallery)

Edited by TomOwen, 21 October 2014 - 10:36 AM.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
... " Jarin " ....

Intentional or not, I like it!

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Oh and yes, Interested in any shock options for the LR3. I just got an email back from one of the US distys I contacted who said the Konis were back-ordered into January. Of course, they didn't bother to mention the pricing so I had to send another email asking for that piece of information.

Arnott has front struts/bags complete at very aggressive prices. Shockwarehouse has them for $295. That's not only less work but more parts as you don't have to re-use your old air bags. But they don't have rears for the truck for some reason. I think they build their strut around a Bilstien shock.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users