Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Portable Air Compressor???

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I am bringing up this thread again, as I broke my old compressor (long story), and was going to purchase a VIAIR 450P (I had the model below it and it was very good, but wanted something stronger/faster). However, I am thinking of going with the ARB CKMP12 high-performance air compressor. From looking at them side-by-side, they both seem to get great reviews and have similar specs, but I am wondering if the VIAIR seems slightly better due to the 100% duty cycle feature, where as the ARB has 50%. The ARB is slightly more expensive (not a surprise), but cheaper than the max performance version with the external tank. I like the latter, but I am not spending $800+ for a compressor - willing to go up to around $400.00. Does anyone know if the 450P has the auto-shut off like the ARB model? I have a dedicated second battery on board through the ArkPak (with easy access), so I don't need to get under the hood.

Here is the VIAIR 450P:

http://www.amazon.co....A2APBYF0UO6PK8

Here is the ARB:

http://www.amazon.co....air compressor

Any thoughts? Perhaps a different brand?
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
My buddy runs this one.

http://www.amazon.co...=cm_wl_huc_item

He fills 4 35's from 12 to 35 in about 10 minutes. It's much bigger than the tiny thing I run but it's way faster and doesn't shut down on over temp like mine does. And for the price you could go through a few of them before you spent what you would have on the arb or the like.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
For a compressor at that level I would opt for 100% duty cycle. You could always add a tank later if you really have a need for one.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I have the extremaire magnum, no tank. 100% duty cycle and it was about $400 when I got it. It has worked well for me. can mount in any direction and is water proof. If you don't want to mount it there is a portable option. I have some pizza cutter tires so it is a minute or so per tire to fill. it did fill my inflatable raft quickly though. the owner is super nice and helpful. He has given out gift certificates in the past ( I won one). I'll check and see if we have reached out to him yet this year.

Chris

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I run a Viair 400P. It's actually rated at higher cfm than the 450, but not at 100% duty cycle. However, I've never overheated it when filling 4 tires. It does get pretty hot by the end though, so I can imagine if I was running 35s I might hit the temp limit. I have no complaints about the performance, but I didn't like the 8' power cord it came with - barely long enough to reach across the engine bay and to the ground. Then you have to stretch out the plastic coil hose to reach the rear tires. I forget what size wiring it was, but it was marginal even at that distance. They also put the fuse at the compressor end of the wire instead of the battery end where it would actually do some good. (A fuse is to protect a given wire size...put it at the load end and you could still burn/melt a wire between it and the battery - that's why USCG requires fuses within 8" of the battery).

I cut off the so-so stock wiring and installed my own longer 10 gauge stuff. Michal has the same compressor and at White Rock Lake I noticed mine was audibly running faster than his. I'll assume that's down to the wiring upgrade causing less current drop.

If I were to change, I'd go to an on-board setup and plumb an air port at each bumper. It would save the hassle of dragging the thing out every time I air up, and it would be one less thing to pack though I'd still need to pack the air hose.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

My buddy runs this one.

http://www.amazon.co...=cm_wl_huc_item

He fills 4 35's from 12 to 35 in about 10 minutes. It's much bigger than the tiny thing I run but it's way faster and doesn't shut down on over temp like mine does. And for the price you could go through a few of them before you spent what you would have on the arb or the like.

I've heard good things about these. Very cheap and they have some issues, but at the price they can't be beat. If you were going on a major journey where you had to count on your stuff in the outback for months at a time I wouldn't recommend them, but for normal use it's a lot of compressor for very little $$$

Don

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
David,

I recently joined this forum. I was researching ARB bumpers, and decided to join.

I installed the ARB CKMA12 in my engine compartment. I paid about $300.00 for the kit.

I have been using it for about two years, and have had no problems.

It's not fast, but it is reliable.

I have included to photos of my install.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4
David - I also have viair 450 and it works great. I would recommend it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
David with your setup I wouldn't dump to much cash into that. Go simple. Find someone's used compressor until you decide you're fait. If your doing what most of us do then small isn't bad. But if your going my route.... CO2 is great. Only getting it filled is your cost and going out of you're way. My case, I got a local guy with great prices.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

David,

I recently joined this forum. I was researching ARB bumpers, and decided to join.

I installed the ARB CKMA12 in my engine compartment. I paid about $300.00 for the kit.

Welcome Nils.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

David,

Hi Nils -- welcome to the forum! Nice install. I opted for the ARB twin "compressor-in-a-box", but do like your custom install.

If you live in the SF Bay Area, we have our next MORG (Monthly Off-Road Gathering) on September 6th.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Hi Nils -- welcome to the forum! Nice install. I opted for the ARB twin "compressor-in-a-box", but do like your custom install.

If you live in the SF Bay Area, we have our next MORG (Monthly Off-Road Gathering) on September 6th.

-Jared

I just bought the same ARB compressor as you, spent the extra couple hundred dollars and got the twin engine at 100% max capacity. I don't want dedicated on-board air, would rather something more portable that I can use with my ArkPak. YAY!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
I tried to get to Hollister last weekend, but I ended up stuck in Santa Barbara.

Are you getting together in October?
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
No MORG in October as we have the Annual at Hollister that month.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I tried to get to Hollister last weekend, but I ended up stuck in Santa Barbara.

Are you getting together in October?

Hey Nils;

As Don mentioned, the next MORG will be in November. We skip October for a club member event called 'The Annual' which, coincidentally, is also at Hollister. If you decide to join, you're welcome to attend!

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

PaulD

PaulD

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Templeton, CA
  • 1993 RRC LWB
  • 1991 RRC -- Caught Fire
  • 1967 NADA 109 - SOLD
  • 1967 Series IIA 88 - SOLD
  • 1964 Series IIA - Stolen
I am rocking a Viair 450C -- 100% duty cycle compressor. For the full story, see my build thread at LRRForums.com. Search for "ccec's on-boar air" Yes, there is a typo. I don't actually have a boar on-board. I just don't dig on swine.

I opted to use a tank for a buffer to avoid long wait times at each tire. Still, nothing beats a gas station!

--Paul

'93 LWB
2" RTE Springs, GDE w/8K winch, Disco axles, Viair, Dura-Tracs, & Asst'd grille badges

12e11964-24f6-4630-a08f-5758456bc143.jpg

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Still, nothing beats a gas station!

Isn't that the truth... it's always nice to roll up to the Hollister entrance after a day of MORGing and do a fast air up. ::cheesy::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Unless you get the air hose that's all scuzzed out from somebody playing in the mud pit....

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I just bought the same ARB compressor as you, spent the extra couple hundred dollars and got the twin engine at 100% max capacity. I don't want dedicated on-board air, would rather something more portable that I can use with my ArkPak. YAY!

Awesome! I think you'll be very pleased with its performance. Let me know if you ever use it with power tools (especially an air ratchet/wrench); I don't have any but apparently with the built-in 1lb. tank it does pretty well. ::amuse::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Unless you get the air hose that's all scuzzed out from somebody playing in the mud pit....

Some people can be so rude. Of course, if I knew I was using the hose after this LR4:

Posted Image

...I'd probably deal with it. David, that could be you this coming Spring! ::amuse::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users