Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Urban Off-road rack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I said I'd post up some pics so here we go.

I wanted a 'minimal' roof rack. I don't plan to carry a lot of stuff up there; mostly just my OzTent when I'm camping, though I might put a real shovel or my axe up there since I can. I normally carry a small axe in the truck, and a folding shovel. I use the axe regularly when camping if only to drive tent stakes but haven't needed the shovel as yet. Just as well, the folding shovels are not the best tool in the world.

I had scene David's Urban Offroad rack and liked the style of it. At the time he got his they were based here in NorCal so I figured I'd just run out and pick one up when the time came. Then I learned that last year he moved down south to Temecula. Bummer. I had to ship it.

This is the 'Exodus Series Platform Full Rack'. It is also offered in a half rack, which I almost went with but opted for the full length rack in the end. Fit/finish is fine, though it did take some doing to actually purchase it. I also got a Front Runner ladder from them at the same time.

One catch though- I didn't order the wind deflector initially. I found out that was a mistake - it howls like a 747 on take-off at anything like highway speeds. Some of you have seen the pictures of my run up to Gold Lake where I had the cheesy yellow plastic zip-tied to the front to make a down and dirty wind deflector. That was because I put the rack on and immediately left for that trip. The noise was so bad I had to stop at Wally world and find something to quieten it up.

The yellow plastic looked pretty bad, but worked quite well. So as soon as I got home I ordered the 'real' wind deflector from Urban Offroad. I got it on last weekend and then headed to the bay area to run some errands and stop in at Mexxi's for the India/Central America get together. Once again, I didn't test it before jumping on the highway. Guess what? The yellow plastic worked better. The 'real' wind deflector is better than nothing, but now instead of a jet on take-off I get a lot of turbulence.

So today I stuffed some pipe insulation in between the lower bar and the roof to see if that would knock the noise down. Success - tested quite up to 80 mph. I think my next move will be to take the deflector to TAP and have them make me the same thing only a few inches longer so it comes right down to the roof. If needed, I'll again put some foam pipe insulation around the lower edge to fill the gap.

Eventually I'll add some lights, and I think I'll do the chicken coup flooring to make it easier to walk around on as well. If I go that route, I'll add some U-bolts or similar for tie down points as I won't be able to just hook a strap to the tubes.

The installed rack:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pipe wrap noise cancelling system:
Posted Image

Front Runner ladder - JUST clears my jerry can!
Posted Image

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
me likey, just stored this is the potential mods when my day comes.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Just need some tree branch cables and some huge pelican cases.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I'll try to hold off on the pelican cases for a while, though it does seem to be all the fashion.

Tried version 3.0 of wind deflector yesterday headed to/from Hollister. Results are inconclusive. It's less ugly than what I had but a bit noisier. I suspect I'll still have to have TAP make me a custom deflector eventually but playing with pipe insulation costs like $1.49 so there's nothing to loose.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Just need some tree branch cables and some huge pelican cases.

Do you mean limb risers? I feel like I could definitely use them - what do you envison for tree branch cables???
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I just used rubber coated steel wire, springs, turn buckles and D rings and viola for cheap I have limb risers. Don you have seen me bash mine they hold up well. There is a kit which cost about $120 that has Camel Trophy style adjusters (pretty sure it is just a boat thingy)[ATTACH]5423[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5424[/ATTACH]

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I may make some eventually. I've seen the kits but like you said, I can come up with the hardware using sailboat stuff I'm sure.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Chris and Don.....

I am very interested in limb risers - Don, if you come up with an idea, let me know so I can copy. :)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Hey David! Mine on the CT were easy as it was built for them. On your rig you could run them from the ARB bumper to the roof rack easily. I'll take some pics of my set up and you can see if that's how you want to go. Mine have held up well and definitely have helped on the trails.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Bring your truck to my place David. I'll hook you up. You might need some tabs welded on your bumper and rack.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,415 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
I probably don't need a set of bush cables but regardless, I'm interested. In order to do it I would need eyelets welded to the rack and bumper as well.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
On the rack it should be easy enough to find a clamp-on solution. The larger diameter tubing of the bumper would be tougher to find off-the-shelf so a weld-on tab would be easiest there unless you don't like the idea of grinding/welding/painting on a spiffy new bumper.

I'll look at some catalogs and see what I can come up with when I get a chance. It might not be worth the savings to piece it together vs just buying a pre-made kit. Stainless steel boat stuff isn't exactly cheap I'm afraid.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
hmmm....just took a quick look at my truck and I don't think I can make it work on the LR3. I wouldn't be able to open the hood unless I took them off as the rack isn't that wide so the cables would have to be angles slightly inward. Even if I make extensions to stretch out to the edge of the roof it would probably interfere. I could make something that was quick release I suppose, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'll have to give this some more thought.

David., you should take a look at yours since you have a different/bigger rack. Maybe it will work for you(?) Jared, same for you since you have a totally different truck.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,415 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Jared, same for you since you have a totally different truck.

I'll have to check. In the meantime, this is how great it would look if they DID fit (credit to Rovers North for the image):

Posted Image

Also, there is the question of legality on-road; if these cannot be run on the highway, we would have to design them with a turnbuckle/pin or some other quick-release method to remove them.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
They are illegal to run on the road as are accessory lights without covers (above a certain height from the ground I think). I haven't had an issue but IF you were pulled over by someone who was a stickler they would either ticket you or make you take them off.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'll have to check. In the meantime, this is how great it would look if they DID fit (credit to Rovers North for the image):

Posted Image

Also, there is the question of legality on-road; if these cannot be run on the highway, we would have to design them with a turnbuckle/pin or some other quick-release method to remove them.

-Jared

I'm sorry, I can't picture this. Can you photoshop it red?

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Illegal? Just curious, Why? (Hmmmm....for some reason now I want them too ;-)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,415 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Illegal? Just curious, Why? (Hmmmm....for some reason now I want them too ;-)

I'm not quite sure Tom; any incidental contact with a bush wire on the highway would likely be met first with the front end of my Range Rover; I can't imagine the end result is any worse -- Without bush wires you're hurt pretty badly; with them, you're hurt pretty badly and possibly missing a limb from being clotheslined at 70mph. Dunno.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
It has to do with the communist rule of CA, and that they will cut pedestrians in half if you run into them (bc my bumper, winch, etc won't really hurt them, just the cables).

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
They're only limb risers when they do that, raise limbs. I say just hang your wet clothes on them CT style while cruzin down the highway. Then they're clothes lines, not limb risers.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users