Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Urban Off-road rack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
I was just kidding about the upstream thing.

I think the larger tires cause me more drift than the extra weight.

It actually drives very straight and true.
I've spent the last few months replacing and upgrading the front end.
Most of the parts are now for an LR 4.

As for the clutch question, here's a picture.
My large hands barely fit in to reach the lever,
but it isn't much worse than when I had the smaller PIAA headlights.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I don't have little baby hands so if it were my truck, I would cut the hole bigger. Plasma cutters are nice.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
plasma cutter? Did you get a new toy?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I can barrow one from work but I wish I owned one.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Club needs one right B?

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Sure! We could use a plasma cutter, 4 post lift, presses, a few engine hoists, etc, etc, etc.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Start small. My fab shop is small.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I will have a lift. Oh yes, one day I will have my own lift.

Just as soon as I sell my current house and build a 6+ car garage w/attached 1000sq ft apartment. And yes, Michele is good with this plan.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I'll take the room for rent in your home Don. My payment will be your full time welder.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I wired up my Rigid Bar to my ARB light switch. One switch controls all three lights.

As far as the rear cargo/ reverse lights, I tapped into the reverse line and then added a switch & relays to be able to turn on and off the lights regardless of what the reverse power was sending. I'm using PIAA's for the rear lights now, but I'm changing them to Rigid Marine LED's.

Sorry, I am a bit behind with this thread, but Nils, your LR3 is awesome! You and Don have such great set ups!!!

I want to do something similar with a light bar on the front of my roof rack (there are already mounting tabs) and tap it into my other Rigid Dually lights currently on my ARB front bumper. It looks like that's possible; and I want to control all 3 lights with the amazing Pedram-designed light switch currently on my stock LR3 light plate.

Your idea about the rear lights seems great - that's what I want............... Pedram, can you do that??? :-)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Shouldn't be any problem with the wiring. I don't know if you're already running a relay off the current switch but if not you will probably want to add one for the extra light bar just to keep the current draw through the switch minimal.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
What David said is simple but I have no idea where your mounting those lights. I spoke with Michal about a rear cargo light and he told me about the roof rack issue on the LR3 and 4. With the upper tail gate giving you no option from that angle. I suggested a bright LED dome light. I did Anudeeps last week. Easy fix.

Don is right about the relay on the light bar. I would go that route.

David, anytime buddy. But I don't work for french fries.

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
Here are a couple of pictures of my Rigid LED bar.

I made the box just wide enough to slide the bar in at diagonal.

I made new side mount bars for the light bar that attach to the inside back of the box with security screws.

The trick was getting it prefocused before I installed it.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

What David said is simple but I have no idea where your mounting those lights. I spoke with Michal about a rear cargo light and he told me about the roof rack issue on the LR3 and 4. With the upper tail gate giving you no option from that angle. I suggested a bright LED dome light. I did Anudeeps last week. Easy fix.

Don is right about the relay on the light bar. I would go that route.

David, anytime buddy. But I don't work for french fries.

Pedram, I will need to test it, but I think I will be fine with how they are mounted on my Urban rack. I think Michal has the Baja rack, but I could be wrong. I thought I put the Duallys up there (just to test) and it was fine, but need to look into more. Hmmmmm.

Maybe we will start with the light bar and then go from there.... I got to find one first. I am not going with RIGID like my other lights, over 1,000 for a light bar is too much.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
I got my Rigid light bar on Amazon.com. It was over $100 cheaper, and free shipping.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Here are a couple of pictures of my Rigid LED bar.

I made the box just wide enough to slide the bar in at diagonal.

I made new side mount bars for the light bar that attach to the inside back of the box with security screws.

The trick was getting it prefocused before I installed it.

Looks really good. Any worries about overheating the bar? It looks like (assuming the 3rd pic is the back of the stock light bar) you removed some heat sinks then of course you enclosed it in a metal box on top of that.

Don

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
No, I didn't mess with the bar.
The only change that I made was new mounting brackets.

So far I haven't had any problems from the heat.
I think that I cut enough slots in the bottom.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I made some more improvements to the rack wind deflector.

To recap-
First I tried it with no deflector. That was 100% fail. Crazy-loud; sounded like a 747 on take-off at anything above 50 mph This led to-
ghetto-fab yellow plastic zip-tie wind deflector. Ugly, but effective. It actually worked. This led to-
Urban Off-Road 'factory' deflector. This sort of worked. It got rid of the 747 but still caused quite a bit of turbulence noise. This let to-
foam pipe insulation stuffed under UOR deflector. This worked pretty well, but looked a little cheesy and of course the foam was never a permanent solution. This led to-

Custom oversized wind deflector. I took the UOR deflector to TAP and had them make me another one only 6" longer so it would reach down close to the roof. This worked quite well up to about 40 mph, but then it starts to vibrate and touches the roof. So I ended up using some sticky-backed foam strips in strategic locations to keep it from flexing/vibrating against anything. I've now tested it to 'crossing NV on HWY 50 in the middle of the night' speeds without any real noise, so this will be staying for a while.

If I were to make another one, I'd probably make it about 1/2" shorter to keep it from touching the roof, and I'd make it out of thicker stock to help make it more ridged and keep it from flexing in the wind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also made a couple brackets to mount a shovel and axe to the rack. Just some flat stock I had on hand secured with a couple of 1" cushion clamps with a pair of quick fists mounted up. It works fine (survived my extra-legal speed test earlier) but isn't secured/locked in any way so I may change this eventually. No big worries at the moment but just something in the back of my head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note that the shovel is black. Michele insisted it be a black shovel. I offered to paint the wooden handle of a home depot shovel black, but that was not acceptable. So I bought a Fiskars all steel shovel from Amazon. Oh well, at least it wasn't stupid expensive. Likely because it's not Expo Approved! I'm sure that would have made it north of $100 :)

The shovel might live up there permanently, but the axe would just rust up, so it won't be able to stay over the winter.

Some more pics. Tent is loaded up and ready for this weekend!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Looks nice Don!

I can already hear Pedram; "You know what that wind deflector needs? I big ole Nor Cal Rovers sticker!"

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Hi Don,

That looks great! I have my stuff on the side, but I like your set up a lot. The wind fairing looks good, much better than the ones provided by Urban Offroad. I have to say I am used to the noise, although I think the regular rack is a bit more quiet from what we have discussed. Looks like you are all set for the annual!!!

Oh, I ended up ordering a Kaymar rear bumper because they are now no longer being offered in the US. I actually got the last one Outback Proven has available. Eric at Tactical 4x4 is working on fitting the LR3 bumper to an LR4 soon, but he told me he was having some problems with some intitial fits. While I like the look of the Tactical 4x4 a bit better and may still end up going that route (depending what I hear), I think the Kaymar is relatively clean once you have the rear flaps on and I will take a close look at Michal's - he just got one too. I will need Pedram to make a right hand side tire swing away for me, as all they had at Outback Proven was a lef hand swing away (which I am selling to Michal - he wants two). I actually got a great deal on this last bumper, so it brought the price below $2,000. Worse comes to worse, I can sell it. I just wanted to get the last one - just in case. :)

See you on Saturday!

Regards, David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users