Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

3 days in AK?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I just found out Michele has to go to Anchorage for a meeting at the end of October. I figure what the heck, I might as well go along as well since neither of us has ever been up there.

I know some of you (Rupert, I'm talking to you) have done some trips to AK - this won't exactly be a real trip, but any recommendations for stuff local to Anchorage? Given the time of year I don't think I'll be renting a bike - after that I've used up my knowledge, so help a brother out!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Humpy's bar/grill in downtown area for Halibut & fries and beer of course. Very popular.
Anchorage Zoo. Small, but you can see all the native wildlife there. Mainly a wildlife rescue zoo. I thought it was interesting. Gwennie's restaurant located near airport. Didnt eat there, but supposedly the best fresh King Crab dinner in Ak. Ate there for huge breakfast and worth the price. Make sure you find discount coupons for this place.
Another suggestion for dining in downtown area for King Crab (now p/c "bering sea crab") Glacier brewhouse (we ate king crab there).
You'll need a vehicle to get to zoo. If you're staying at airport, some hotels have shuttles.
Hotels in downtown area are easy walking.
Zoo is farthest away, but to me worth it.
Make sure you pickup all the tourist brochures/maps to help you decide on what to do.
I'm guessing the weather should be like SF in Nov. Cold,wet. Prepare for colder weather tho.
Have fun.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
PS. You're going towards off season, prices should be reasonable. HARHAR.
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I just found out Michele has to go to Anchorage for a meeting at the end of October. I figure what the heck, I might as well go along as well since neither of us has ever been up there.

I know some of you (Rupert, I'm talking to you) have done some trips to AK - this won't exactly be a real trip, but any recommendations for stuff local to Anchorage? Given the time of year I don't think I'll be renting a bike - after that I've used up my knowledge, so help a brother out!

I'm so jealous! I want to go to Alaska so bad!
Have fun!

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
My mom just spent 10 days in and around Anchorage visiting my niece who lives there. I can get some recommendations from her if you like. And if you want a Tat while you're up there, my niece does great work!

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
Oh, and Sara Palin doesn't live in Wasilla anymore, she moved to Arizona :)

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Oh, and Sara Palin doesn't live in Wasilla anymore, she moved to Arizona :)

They may have moved-out but the family still crashes parties in Alaska, and starts brawls/fights (smile).

Don,

Will you and Michele have time to check out Denali National Park?

Alaska is on my list of places to visit.

Edited by RON CT110, 19 September 2014 - 05:52 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
6hr RT to DNP and back to Anchorage? Not do-able in 1 day, also daylight hours are getting shorter. Taking chances on DNP reservations and bus times. Of course you can take the Princess train tours $$$$.
You got only 3 days, spend it in the Anchorage area. Get a sample of AK city life.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Actually, I'd gladly drive 6 hrs round trip. If so, we'd just find someplace to stay up that way I would think. Though I understand Denali is sort of difficult to see as it's so huge and very limited access. I haven't actually done any research yet.

City Life? I thought the idea was to get away from that!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really a food person, so I don't expect I'll be doing a lot of restaurant hunting. I'm more interested in getting out and seeing the scenery but as I said I haven't yet done any research on what's what - all I know at this point is 'gee, don't they have glaciers up there?' without actually having looked at a map to see where anything is.

Don

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
Glaciers!!!
Drive south on AK 1 for 1.5hrs to Portage Glacier OR continue south to Kenai Peninsula towards Seward and hike to Exit Glacier, a 2.5hr drive from Anchorage.
Be prepared for colder conditions.

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Humpy's YES. I had my Humpy's t-shirt on just the other day. Their halibut fish-n-chips are hard to beat. Good micro-brews too.

If you are interested in Native Americans then the Alaska Native Heritage Center is a good bet. It's east of Anchorage on the Glenn Highway (Hwy 1). Check to see if it's open, though. (907) 330-8000 or www.alaskanative.net. It's mostly outdoors so not a place to go if weather is bad.

Exit Glacier is an awesome hike! It will take a full day from Anchorage. If you go, stop at Exit Glacier Salmon Bake for dinner. 1/4 Mile Exit Glacier Rd. (907) 224-2204.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
If I had to choose between DNP or Exit Glacier, I'd pick the Glacier. Call the NPS and see if they still have the all day hike ON the Glacier. I think NPS supplies the crampons, you BYO lunch & H2O.

Hey Brian got any suggestions for travels outside of AK? ( retired and spending my SS faster than Uncle Sam can print it),

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Rupert is right. Eat at double Muskie. Portage glacier hike. Alaska wildlife zoo near girdwood. Mchugh creek trail is a good hike.

Also go climb Flattop Mountain in Anchorage
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
The scenery is both stunning and humbling. Was odd to me to think this rugged beauty is part of the USA and the scale makes Texas look small. If this trip is going to end up on an expense report, also check out Alyeska Resort - stunning. Seems me your email and I'll forward some pics. ;-)

Edited by TomOwen, 20 September 2014 - 10:15 AM.

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
Ahh, if I could only be a stowaway :)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
If you want to see if you can fit in the landing gear, I hear thats the new thing these days.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
Can I get frequent flyer points? :)

UlisesRangel

UlisesRangel

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
You need to check out Anchorge Brewing Company and Midnight Sun Brewing Co. They make fantastic stuff, definitely on the list of best in the country.

99 Rutland Red Disco II

2" OME HD coils, OME shocks, Tom Woods front drive shaft, CDL linkage, 265 75/16" Wrangler MT/R, Safari snorkel, D1 wiper arms

95 Alpine White RRC LWB

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Doesn't the discovery channel have a bunch of fishermen, gold hunters and homesteaders up there? Maybe you can work your way onto a show and get your 15 min of fame.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Yes, look for me in a walk-on roll as '3rd guy from the left' in IceRoadGoldMiners of the Bearing Sea.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users