Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Looking to buy...LR4 Considerations

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
Ok... so I'm seriously thinking about buying an LR4 soon (probably a used one... either 2011 or 2012) and wanted to know from those that own either of those model years, is there anything that would be recommended in the specs that I should look for that will be beneficial for off-road? Ie... locking differentials? I haven't found a 2011 or 2012 yet that has locking diffs since it would have been an added option the first owner would have had to special order. (I found a 2010 in Walnut Creek that has them and a 2012 near LA, but don't want to go that far... meaning LA) Walnut Creek would be okay, but not sure I want to get a 2010.

Also, only interested in certain colors... Green, Ipanema Sand, or Nara Bronze

There seems to be a lot of black and white models out there.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I say yes, get it an enjoy. The RRC is awesome but for overlanding in comfort the LR4 has to be tops. I'm loving ours. I don't think locking diffs are critical as 1. It is capable stock and 2. ARB apparently has some about to hit the market for the LR 3's and 4's for both front and rear. That's probably what route I'll take. There are lots of options out there, some 2013's come up with super low miles as well. If you get the lux option there is a drink cooler in the armrest, yeah, it's cool.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Oh yeah, you will need to armor it so budget about 2k for that (sliders, sump guard,etc).

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4
Hi Erin - I think nothing beats Disco4 for overlanding trips. I have TONS of added weight and at 65mph I still clock average 16-17mpg HWY. Without the weight I was somewhere around 19/20 mpg HWY.

Have you seen the final installment of Overland Journal's write-up re their Disco4 in the latest edition of Overland Journal? It should answer a lot of your questions.

In principal - all that you need for starters is different tires/wheels and under body protection. You really don't need an HD package (note - it requires a very very very expansive oil). ARB airlockers are a much better and more reliable solution (front airlock is available right now and the rear one should come out sometime in the beginning of 2015).

As for the model year - 2010 and 2011 are pretty much the same. The changes started in 2012 (new sat nav) and 2013. I would stay away from going into 2014 MY as from that year Disco4 came with a V6 and weird knob for the gear lever change (and a rock crawling terrain response only as part of the HD package).

Color wise - that's up to you but I REALLY wished I bought mine in white.... I have pinstripes everywhere (I don't really care but it wouldn't be that visible on a white disco).

For the rack - go with Baja. Really great platform and you can build up on it. I went with a hidden winch tray for the front bumper as I wanted to save on the weight.... but then went cuckoo and added two extra tires for the rear bumper and an AUX tank:) (well I had to go crazy somewhere....).

All in all - I would never sell my LR4. It is comfortable and great offroad!

Best,

Michal

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Have you seen the final installment of Overland Journal's write-up re their Disco4 in the latest edition of Overland Journal? It should answer a lot of your questions.

Jared was watching the video on YouTube the other night and I caught part of it... I might sit down tonight and watch the entire thing.

Color wise - that's up to you but I REALLY wished I bought mine in white.... I have pinstripes everywhere (I don't really care but it wouldn't be that visible on a white disco).

Thinking about it, perhaps a lighter color would be good. I hadn't considered the white one (I guess because I wanted something different than my current car which is white), but I'm kind of leaning toward the Ipanema Sand - I would think it would be light enough where the scratches wouldn't show that much.

I'm glad I asked about the lockers because I'd rather have the ARB I think.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I say yes, get it an enjoy. The RRC is awesome but for overlanding in comfort the LR4 has to be tops. I'm loving ours. I don't think locking diffs are critical as 1. It is capable stock and 2. ARB apparently has some about to hit the market for the LR 3's and 4's for both front and rear. That's probably what route I'll take. There are lots of options out there, some 2013's come up with super low miles as well. If you get the lux option there is a drink cooler in the armrest, yeah, it's cool.

Yes the RRC is very cool and we will keep it - surprisingly, I'm actually considering trading in my Volvo - which should be noted as a very difficult decision. ::cry:: I find the RRC hard to drive on the highways though as it sways too much and I have a hard time controlling it which causes neck pain because I over correct so much - off road I'm fine. I really want something that I can feel confident enough to drive by myself.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
For the RRC you can add sway bars which will make a huge difference on the highway and minimal loss of articulation off road. We are planning on that upgrade for my dad's RRC.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

For the RRC you can add sway bars which will make a huge difference on the highway and minimal loss of articulation off road. We are planning on that upgrade for my dad's RRC.

Yes... I know.

Jared doesn't want them. ::bigsmile::

Besides, I never pass up the opportunity for a new toy!

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Fair nuf...

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Where is the like button on this thing?

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

+1
;)

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Hello Erin,

Ah, well I knew this post was coming. I know we have discussed this a few times, but here are my thoughts. As you know, I have Fuji White with the black-design package because I wanted non-metallic paint and something that hides scratches. Sure, sometimes it looks dirty, but I don't care. So far it has been incredible at hiding any scratches - and I do have them if you look at my black mirrors. I think I also told you that I had a 2011 LR4 before I ordered my 2014 LR4. My 2011 was Nara Bronze and the HSE package without the heavy duty package (ie, no locking differential). My current LR4 is HSE Lux with the heavy duty package. I would recommend, if you can, going with a 2012 or later model because of the update to the infotainment / navigation system that is quite a bit better. My 2011 vs. the 2013 were pretty different as far as responsiveness of the system. In addition, I think if you can find a Lux with the heavy duty package, that would be great. I really like the memory seats, upgraded leather, and the HID lights are FAR better than the halogens found on the HSE package (unless it has the vision assist). I did NOT want the vision assist with the turning headlights or surround cameras - just too much to go wrong and I would have had to turn them off anyway when I put on the ARB front bumper and soon Kaymar.

So, I have wheeled my 2011 and my 2013 and I will say that tires are VERY important (duh!!!), but I completely feel a different with the locking differential. Honestly, my 2011 was TOTALLY capable and Michal does some crazy crap in his LR4 without locking differential, but I know for sure it does make a difference in certain conditions. My first time doing certain obstacles at Hollister with my 2013 I was very surprised at how much it actually helps.

With all that said, between Michal and I, we should be able to give you some good advice about modifications. You know I will help out in anyway that I can! :)

Let me know if you actually want some time in mine ,I would be happy to let you drive it and see what you think.

Keep us posted!!! :)

-David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
My thought on the HD package (rear locker) is that it depends on how hard you want to wheel it. The computers do a pretty good job w/o the locker, but the harder you want to push it the more you'll want the locker. None of them have a front locker which is why ARB came out with that first I would assume. Note however I have yet to actually see any of the ARBs for sale; people have been talking about them forever but it's always just a few months away. Are we sure they are actually available? And what is the price? Hey ... I might need one for the front of mine so I can finally conquer that annoying rock at the Hollister obstacle course!

After the HD package, the other big options include the Lux package which includes the nifty refrigerated center console. I have it, but it's over rated. It keeps drinks cool, but not cold.

For off-road work you'll want to step down to 18" wheels/tires which is a bit of a challenge on the LR4 due to the bigger brakes. You can either go with the Compomotives like David has, or you can run spacers w/LR3 18's. Either way, budget for tires and wheels. There's just not many tires available for the 19" wheel, and the minimal sidewall doesn't give you much room to air down. 265/65-18 is the most popular tire size.

Yes to armor. You can't run a very big tire or lift the truck very much, so you need good skid plates and sliders. The general consensus is the Tactical stuff is about as good as you can get here for full coverage. Almost all of us are running it.

You will also want a GAP IId tool for computer/suspension troubleshooting and tuning. You can use this to lift the truck some, but probably not enough to run bigger tires. Each truck varies on how much lift you can get with the tool based on the travel in the height sensors. The ideal setup is to have a set of Johnson Rods and the GAP tool. You can then really fine-tune the ride height. FWIW, I think you could also use the GAP tool with Jared's RR, you would just need to get a separate license for his VIN.

If you want a winch, you have a few options. You can go with a hidden mount like Michael has which looks very clean but doesn't give you the added off-road protection of a steel bumper. If you want a full bumper ARB and Tactical have been the only players, but I think Lucky8 is selling a new front bumper for the LR3s now and maybe the 4s as well.

As we've seen, carrying a larger than stock spare can be difficult. Most people are running 265/65-18s (I had to go a little bigger and have 275/65s because I like to go to 11). With the tire deflated you might be able to get that into the spare tire well, or you might not. It's so close it comes down to what tire brand you are running. And if you ever do need to get to that tire on the trail it's going to be difficult to get out. That's why the whole mess we've all been going through with rear bumpers/tire carriers. Obviously Pedram built mine, but it's not a bolt-on and he's not going to be eager to build another with a new baby on the way. I think Michael and David got the last Kaymars in the US, so that looks like a dead-end. Tactical has a rear bumper for the LR3 and is supposed to be doing one for the LR4 soon. It would look pretty much like mine as I modeled it after theirs. They offer single or dual swingouts. You can also get a swing-out kit to carry a tire on the stock bumper from Voyager Racks but I don't know how good it is.

Also related to the rear bumpers, all the bolt-on options utilize the stock towing setup. It's not a good design. Part of why I went full-Pedram was because I wanted to get rid of the OEM setup and have a 'normal' hitch setup. This allows me to use a draw bar with a shackle for a rear recovery point as well as letting me tow if I want to without using the stock 'plow' that is both expensive and breakage prone not to mention how low it hangs.

David has the ultimate solution to fuel range, but even if you don't go that route you're going to want at least some jerry cans. These things don't have a very big gas tank, so for places like Death Valley or Baja it's going to be a must.

You'll be looking at low-mileage trucks so they should be under warranty. As for maintenance once it's out of warranty, they are really heavy so they're hard on suspension bushings. In particular front lower control arms (most people just replace them whole) and roll bar bushings. When they get soft, you can get banging noises and the handling will get quite wayward at highway speeds.

As for colors, I personally recommend Stornaway Grey. It's clearly the fastest. ::bigsmile::

Edited by DHappel, 05 November 2014 - 09:04 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

+1
;)

Added :D

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

My thought on the HD package (rear locker) is that it depends on how hard you want to wheel it. The computers do a pretty good job w/o the locker, but the harder you want to push it the more you'll want the locker. None of them have a front locker which is why ARB came out with that first I would assume. Note however I have yet to actually see any of the ARBs for sale; people have been talking about them forever but it's always just a few months away. Are we sure they are actually available? And what is the price? Hey ... I might need one for the front of mine so I can finally conquer that annoying rock at the Hollister obstacle course!

Don, that is something I have been wondering. ARB doesn't have too much information; however, Tom Brady's Expedition Portal LR4 has the ARB locking diffs, so there must be a prototype or something, I likely will not go this route, at this point, but it would be good to have an option. After all, we don't have a G-wagen which has 3 manual locking diffs. Hehe!

After the HD package, the other big options include the Lux package which includes the nifty refrigerated center console. I have it, but it's over rated. It keeps drinks cool, but not cold.

I actually never ever use it - it's not one of the benefits of the Lux package. I like the Lux package for the upgraded leather, memory seats, and stock HID lights. I had the halogens on my 2011, which I did upgrade to HID with a slim ballast kit, and the halogens were TERRIBLE. Even changing it out to a good halogen light - still sucked big time. The HSE package is fine, but I would get the vision assist, though I would never (personally) want the headlights that turn or the stupid surround cameras. Bleh.

For off-road work you'll want to step down to 18" wheels/tires which is a bit of a challenge on the LR4 due to the bigger brakes. You can either go with the Compomotives like David has, or you can run spacers w/LR3 18's. Either way, budget for tires and wheels. There's just not many tires available for the 19" wheel, and the minimal sidewall doesn't give you much room to air down. 265/65-18 is the most popular tire size.

Best advice ever. If you plan to do any off roading then it would be best to go with the 18" Compomotive wheels or 18" LR3 wheels with spacers. I did have 19" wheels for a while on my 2011 and had the Cooper Zeon LTZs. These were decent, but certainly did not have the sidewall or protection (or traction) you would likely want. There is also now a Goodyear Wrangler AT tire for the 19" wheels (255/55R19), but still does not have the side wall you want. I agree, the 265/65R18 is popular, both Michal and I run that size and it works well. I like it because I do not need to run lifted all the time and I can have an E-rated tire. For what I do, my current tire set up works very well. Down the line I do want something slightly more rugged, like the Duratrecs, but I will need to lift and do some wheel well modifying.

Yes to armor. You can't run a very big tire or lift the truck very much, so you need good skid plates and sliders. The general consensus is the Tactical stuff is about as good as you can get here for full coverage. Almost all of us are running it.

Yep, right now Tactical 4x4 is your best bet, but it is a commitment to weight and you will need to relocate the air compressor bracket. There are options, but they are more of a sill guard. Tactical 4x4 also has an LR4 front bumper, as well as ARB, but there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I know Tactical 4x4 told me they were working on fitting their LR3 rear bumper to an LR4, so wonder how that is going.

You can also get a swing-out kit to carry a tire on the stock bumper from Voyager Racks but I don't know how good it is

The 2 guys that I know who have it, on their LR4, both had to have the latch rebuilt because it opened up on the highway. It is NOT strong enough for a bigger tire!!!!

As for colors, I personally recommend Stornaway Grey. It's clearly the fastest. ::bigsmile::

No, no... white is much, much faster! :)

Edited by DavidW, 05 November 2014 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
All US spec Range Rovers were equipped with sway bars after 1990::classic::

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
Yes... but the sway bars on our 1992 were removed... probably by a previous owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by erinw.rrc, 07 November 2014 - 10:03 AM.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I found it- it's a more polite "thanks" button 😜

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Hi Erin,

Congrats. Get the LR4 soooooon. Get a lighter color so that you wont be sad when you get stripes on it :).

I found this on CG http://sfbay.craigsl...4748474362.html

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Hi Erin,

Congrats. Get the LR4 soooooon. Get a lighter color so that you wont be sad when you get stripes on it :).

I found this on CG http://sfbay.craigsl...4748474362.html

That must be a new one posted on Craigslist... I've kind of been browsing cars.com and Craigslist periodically the last couple of weeks.

The one I'm seriously looking at is at LRSJ. We've already test drove it (or at least I did) and are going again after work so Jared can test drive it.

2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUXURY

We shall see.

-Erin

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users