Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Alaska Off Road Warriors

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
I caught a couple of Land Rovers in a clip for an upcoming show on November 30th on History Channel. How this show has anything to do with history (other than how old all of the trucks are), I'm not certain.

Alaska Off Road Warriors

<video width="640" height="360" controls="controls" preload="auto"><source src="http://www.1070maryann.com/video/aorw.mp4" type="video/mp4" /> </video>

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Sadly, this looks like another 'drama' type show. I'd love to see a show about people making serious overland trips, right down to the planning and prep. Or guys taking on hard-core obstacles. But judging from the whooping, the fast-cut video, and just the announcer's voice over it seems like it will be more about who's going to get into who's face than actual 4wd travel.

Bummer.

As I like to say, I'm a big fan of 'old school' reality TV. Except I call it a documentary. You know, something that presents factual, reality-based information instead of made up drama and lot of shouting.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Sadly, this looks like another 'drama' type show. I'd love to see a show about people making serious overland trips, right down to the planning and prep. Or guys taking on hard-core obstacles. But judging from the whooping, the fast-cut video, and just the announcer's voice over it seems like it will be more about who's going to get into who's face than actual 4wd travel.

Bummer.

As I like to say, I'm a big fan of 'old school' reality TV. Except I call it a documentary. You know, something that presents factual, reality-based information instead of made up drama and lot of shouting.

They're "Warriors", Don -- they don't need planning or facts. Those sorts of things are for mere mortals.

To your point -- I'll probably watch one and if it's obnoxious I might turn the volume down and just watch the black RRC.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I might recorded it and give it a try. Worst I can do is waste an hour in front of the TV. Won't be the first time.

My general policy on any new show is record the first 3 episodes. If it doesn't grab me by then it gets the axe.

But I'm old....I can remember when History channel showed historical shows. Much like I can remember SpeedVision before it became Speed Channel before it became FoxSports or whatever it is now.

Actually, I've been watching more of MAVTV lately. They're owned by Lucus Oil and seem to show a lot of low-buck stuff like SpeedVision did in their early days. But I still don't know what 'American Real' means.

Don

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

But I'm old....I can remember when History channel showed historical shows.

You mean back in the day when the 'H' in the lower right of the screen stood for Hitler. I remember those days too...

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Watched it. Only redeeming thing is that at least there look to be some nice trails that are open for wheeling that I never knew were there. and of all of em the rover guy seemed the most Eco friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Yeah I watched this last night and recorded it. It was disturbing. But the D90 did good. I saw a glimpse of a classic in the previews so I'm guessing there's more to come.

It is a little rehearsed. Drama tv not reality. I'll still watch with anger.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Just watched online. Seems like a bunch of guys perpetuating the stereotype. Was a fun watch though. My favorite line, "Time for the rover to do what the rover does best, go fast". Hahahaha. I don't think anyone has ever put those words in that order before. It's a world first.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
To think the jeep was the only group from the "lower 48" in this bunch. I'm kinda shocked how this was so unorganized. No plan of action. Just drive till you get there camp and drive again. And why so many red necks? Three Toyota's, a Jeep, and one Land Rover. Not really a good mix.

It's funny cuz I a first gen 4runner in black just like that one. But mine didn't overheat.

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I have been waiting to watch this show and did enjoy it. If only because I want more car shows, and my Top Gear Bolivia (with the RRC) is getting to predictable.

It is a great example of what not to do and what to do..as sometimes you just need to Jeremy Clarkson it.

And I appreciate Top Gear rules apply as well. Now did anyone see the Top Gear China trailer? Holy crud, it looks better than USA.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
I shouldn't have read this post... Just getting ready for TiVo.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Your not missing much. Though it is weirdly entertaining.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
I just want to see the rovers... And I expect there will be more since the previews show an RRC.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Just finished watching it and by the end I was ready to see another episode. Sure, Johnny Meth is a little weird and mullet-guy is, well, mullet-guy; but besides that, the show seemed solid enough to keep watching. It has received a blessed TiVo Season pass from me for at least the next couple of weeks. Waiting to see Team Rover 2...

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Ah, I missed this. Perhaps I'll try to look for it when I get home this weekend.

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
"Guys with mullets get it done!"

'nuff said.

Edited by TomOwen, 03 December 2014 - 11:18 AM.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
You can watch it on history channel online. It's worth wasting a few minutes.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
So Rover 1 is out. Just watched this Sunday. Didn't get into the beginning much but they really made things we do normally look so hard. Though the muddy rock garden wasn't fun. It took out some tires.

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
::amazed:: Yeah! you are supposed to drive over the rocks not through them

So Rover 1 is out. Just watched this Sunday. Didn't get into the beginning much but they really made things we do normally look so hard. Though the muddy rock garden wasn't fun. It took out some tires.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Reminds me of my younger days.... 0D7lhVa0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users