Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Alaska Off Road Warriors

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
I'm addicted. Being from Alaska I wanna go back and wheel some of those spots. But I think rover1 is down but not out. The defender is toast but I saw the rear end of a series rig on the previews...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
Of course the Rover is the first one out. I'm actually liking the show very much. And I think something bad will happen to the 4 cylinder Toyota.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
Pedram you mean when you were young dumb and full of spunk

Where do they find these yokel's

My leaf sprung truck has a really rough ride! duuuhhh!

Edited by SLOHybrid, 18 December 2014 - 09:34 PM.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
It was upsetting to see Rover 1 have to bow out so early into the race, I figured the 4 banger Yota was going to have that honor. So far the show has been pretty good and is set to record on the DVR. The part when they were driving through the trees was kinda hard to watch, so I'm glad the producers showed the Super Jeep guys getting chewed out. Though I'm curious what would have happened if any of the other participants (who are all from AK) were first in line when they got to the trees.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
So if you can stand the verbal (text based?) carnage that is Pirate4x4, there's actually a lot of info on the show mixed in with the BS. The guys from SuperJeep and Rover1 are both there as well as some guys who helped with the permitting for the route and others who know the areas so well they can tell you exactly what's off screen in any given shot.

The basics are that the producers ran an ad on CL looking for people willing to trash their rigs, so most guys threw together beaters just for the show. They also were limited in some of their mods. The producers of course wanted trucks that weren't well built because that provides more options for 'drama' when they break or get stuck.

Apparently most of the people aren't as inbred as they look on TV. The SuperJeep guy actually has some pretty good credentials as a machinist and builder in WA and he's won a lot of different competitions with that thing over the years. You can find youtube videos of him crawling with it where he's not being 'made for TV'-ized and he comes across much better.

FWIW, the show is really faking it a lot. There is no trail or series of trails that align with the map they show. They are really just a bunch of separate trails that they ran for any given day. The first day's 'wolf glacier' trails were actually Knick Glacier, just a little outside of Anchorage.

Also, did anybody get a good look at the shot of the underside of the Defender when they were making a repair? I think it was episode 2? I'm not a Defender expert, but does that rear suspension/axle look like a Defender to you? (answer, it's not...there's lots of random footage from before and after the 'race' inserted into the show to add drama)

And with all that said, I'm still recording it. God help me.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
Yep! love mindless entertainment..... alternatively I could be in the bedroom watching re-runs of Full house or Housewives with the rest of the family!

NCLR 093

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Don, you have to much spare time. Get a hobby like 4wheeling.

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
The show is pretty much a load of bollocks, Deliverance set in the mountains. Butch's and the mullet; we've got them now Bubba, squeal like a piggy..................
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Dude deliverance is on my 100 favorite movies of all time. Dueling banjos are the best!

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,415 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

The part when they were driving through the trees was kinda hard to watch, so I'm glad the producers showed the Super Jeep guys getting chewed out.

I think that happened on Day 1 and I was thinking, "great, that's what everyone needs to see -- a bunch of backwood yokels destroying the trail." -- luckily they made a point out of it.

In general, I've determined that I'm willing to suspend reality to watch this piece of television. I can think of worse things to be doing... thanks History Channel!

Here's to hoping we see that black RRC that's been in the promos soon... ::lr::

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
Yeah! not airing down and lack of centre diff lock usage.... can't wait...... oh! and of course like every other reality show on TV no seat belts?

I think that happened on Day 1 and I was thinking, "great, that's what everyone needs to see -- a bunch of backwood yokels destroying the trail." -- luckily they made a point out of it.

In general, I've determined that I'm willing to suspend reality to watch this piece of television. I can think of worse things to be doing... thanks History Channel!

Here's to hoping we see that black RRC that's been in the promos soon... ::lr::

-Jared

NCLR 093

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
What's a seatbelt? You can't damage a brain that's already damaged. I love that they pick the hardest lines. And your scared to cross a river? What? I'll just find the paved road guys.

One thing I really noticed was that these trails have recently been traveled before. There are tire tracks in front of every one who gets into first place. Magic?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Apparently there's a fleet of 'real' Alaska 4x4s (meaning well built rigs with huge tires) plus a bunch of quads ferrying the camera crews around just out of frame on most of the pics.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I watch this show online and I love it!!! :-)

I just can't believe how far they drive everyday!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I just can't believe how far they drive everyday!

Don't believe everything you see. It's 'movie magic'. According to some of the people on Pirate they have many miles of pavement between the off road segments.

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Did they ever explain where they get fuel? Seems to me the show would lead you to believe that at this point you can wheel all day for 8 days without brining along extra fuel and not have to worry about it. Gotta get me one of those rigs. Trounce like they figured it out.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Did they ever explain where they get fuel? Seems to me the show would lead you to believe that at this point you can wheel all day for 8 days without brining along extra fuel and not have to worry about it. Gotta get me one of those rigs. Trounce like they figured it out.

More TV magic. Like I said, they are actually doing a lot of highway miles that just aren't being shown. There is no continuous trail system like they show on the map, so they are passing through civilization (gas, food) pretty often.

Don

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

More TV magic. Like I said, they are actually doing a lot of highway miles that just aren't being shown. There is no continuous trail system like they show on the map, so they are passing through civilization (gas, food) pretty often.

+1
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Although civilization is a bit more sparse

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

Nothing like having a gas tanker nearby. ��
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users