Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Looking to buy a LR

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
For the '06-'09 LR3.

http://pdf.niello.co...-serv-sched.pdf

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Regardless of year, LR3s run 18" for SE and 19" for HSE. They interchange with no issues.

Most of us who run the trucks off road switch to the SE's wheels since we want more sidewall and there is a bigger selection of tires available in 18". The biggest tire you can run (with some minor trimming and a little lift) is 32". 265/65-18 is popular. I happen to run 275/65-18 Duratracs and have had pretty good results with them but I did have to do some trimming and tweeking to keep from rubbing too much and I run Johnson Rods which effectively make my 'normal' ride height the same as the standard 'off road' height.

Lucky8 has recently came out with a steel 17" wheel that I believe fits with no mods. That would of course be better yet for off-roading use since the Jeep guys run 17s and there are lots of options. Plus the extra sidewall would certainly help.

On the LR4, the bigger brakes mean you got bigger wheels as well; 19 and 20" I believe. To drop down to the LR3's 18" wheels requires running spacers to clear the brakes. Or you can get a cool but expensive set of Campanolio (?) wheels from England that will bolt on. You can ask David about these as he runs them on his LR4 (the white one on this forum).

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
If you are using the truck hard (off road, towing, etc) I would recommend pushing the service up on the driveline items like trans, transfer case, and diffs. Doing the last 3 is easy, though the 'special' LR oils - particularly for the locking rear dif - are pricey. You should be able to find a suitable sub like say Royal Purple or Amsoil, but I found so much conflicting info I just bought the LR branded oils and was done with it. About $200 in oils to do all 3, but it's not like you do it all that often.

The trans on these things is a PITA to do. The filter is built into the pan, and to get the pan off you have to drop a cross member and lift the motor off it's mounts. Through the aftermarket you can get normal pans/filters so you don't have to keep replacing the pan in the future.

roverparts.com has some nifty downloadable service schedules that are a little more aggressive than the OEM. Of course they have their part numbers right there for you too since selling parts is what they do. You can often beat their prices, but it'll give you a data point at least. They also have a youtube channel with a bunch of LR3 service videos of varying quality, but worth taking a look at to familiarize yourself with the truck.

BTW, the Range Rover Sport (RRS) is the same truck, just smaller. Pretty much anything you see for an LR3 is interchangeable with the RRS on the mechanical side. I didn't mention it before as it's not a 7-seater and has a lot less cargo room. Also less aftermarket support. But they do look good and are very popular.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Or you can get a cool but expensive set of Campanolio (?) wheels from England that will bolt on. You can ask David about these as he runs them on his LR4 (the white one on this forum).

Compomotive, Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I knew it started with a 'C', but couldn't remember which one it was!

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Compomotive, Don.

I think I know what's on Erin's Christmas List ;-)

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
My last post somehow got nuked.. second go around-

Today we went to 2 used car lots and looked at less-than-stellar LR3's. i wanted to see if we liked the way they drove, etc even though i wouldn't buy one from there. Both were bought at auction and were a little hammered.

looked at a 05 HSE and an 08 HSE. interior-wise i couldn't tell any difference. isn't there supposed to be a difference as far as seats go? also something with the Nav and bluetooth?

the 08 is the one I drove. it had 128k on it. regarding the air system- it seemed to go up and down ok (although not in unison) although the pump seemed to run the entire time i had it in the off-road setting. once i lowered it the pump shut off. is that normal?

it also had a message that said HOOD OPEN all the time. i checked the hood (bonnet) and the back but perhaps its just a sensor. is that common?

I really liked the quiet ride and the way it drove.

Now i just need to find one. also NOT black.

thanks for all the help.

Edited by ndamico, 09 December 2014 - 04:31 PM.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
I was going to mention that I have a CarFax package good thru January 5, so if you want me to check history out for you, let me know and then I can email the reports to you. I have unlimited reports by license plates (need number and state) and I think 3 or 4 VIN reports. I used it while I searching for my LR4. Let me know if you want me to search any for you.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

My last post somehow got nuked.. second go around-

Today we went to 2 used car lots and looked at less-than-stellar LR3's. i wanted to see if we liked the way they drove, etc even though i wouldn't buy one from there. Both were bought at auction and were a little hammered.

looked at a 05 HSE and an 08 HSE. interior-wise i couldn't tell any difference. isn't there supposed to be a difference as far as seats go? also something with the Nav and bluetooth?

the 08 is the one I drove. it had 128k on it. regarding the air system- it seemed to go up and down ok (although not in unison) although the pump seemed to run the entire time i had it in the off-road setting. once i lowered it the pump shut off. is that normal?

it also had a message that said HOOD OPEN all the time. i checked the hood (bonnet) and the back but perhaps its just a sensor. is that common?

I really liked the quiet ride and the way it drove.

Now i just need to find one. also NOT black.

thanks for all the help.

I can't recall the details on the upgraded seats - not sure if that's part of the Lux or just HSE. Might be it's part of the Lux pkg which is why you didn't see anything different. Also in that department is the upgraded Xenon headlights which are a nice upgrade over the standard halogen lights. Again, I can't recall if that's part of the HSE or the Lux pkg. Hopefully somebody can fill in the details on the specifics.

Hood open error....probably just a mis-alignment of a sensor and nothing to be worried about by itself. I know my hood is difficult to get correctly latched - I have to shut it fairly hard or one side or the other won't latch fully. Although when that happens I don't think I get the hood open error come to think of it.

The air compressor should not be running the whole time the truck is in any position, though if you raised/lowered it from full down to full up it will run for a couple minutes to recharge the tank. If you cycle it up/down several times in quick succession the pump will eventually shut down to cool off. It will give a warning, but should resume normal operation in a few minutes. If you were serious about that truck I'd want to go back and see just how long the compressor runs after raising it. If it doesn't shut off in say 90 seconds or so I'd be wondering what was wrong. As to not raising evenly on all for corners, I find mine does that a little. It seems to come up slightly quicker on one corner than the others. it's not a huge difference but you can tell if you're paying attention. I don't think this is a fault, just the nature of the beast. As long as all 4 get where they are supposed to be in short order I'm happy.

Agreed about not black. I've had my share of black vehicles. They look great....for about 30 minutes after you finish washing/waxing them. :) Now I'm lazy and can't be bothered to even pressure wash the mud off mine for weeks at a time.

I would also agree with you about not shopping at used car lots - the chances of finding somebody who knows anything about the truck are slim to none. A dealer should be able to answer any of your questions, but expect to pay a premium from them. If you are shopping at a dealer (I know you said you prefer not to) I'd have them throw in an extended warranty as part of the deal to make up for the pricing difference. Best bet of course is a knowledgeable private party sale but that will also be the hardest to find.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I would also agree with you about not shopping at used car lots - the chances of finding somebody who knows anything about the truck are slim to none. A dealer should be able to answer any of your questions, but expect to pay a premium from them. If you are shopping at a dealer (I know you said you prefer not to) I'd have them throw in an extended warranty as part of the deal to make up for the pricing difference. Best bet of course is a knowledgeable private party sale but that will also be the hardest to find.

I prefer Craigslist myself... Although I bought my LR4 from a Land Rover dealership because they were the only one that had anything I was interested in. You can probably find a good deal on an LR3 from a non Land Rover dealership rather than a Land Rover dealership though... I found them to be cheaper from other dealerships on Craigslist than Land Rover. Just my own observation during my search.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
I'm also starting to consider an LR4 as an option if I can find one for a decent price. I do t want to spend 30k on a used truck and many of them seem to be asking mid 40s... the market for used LR3 trucks seems pretty slim.

Oh one more thing. The seats on both I looked at today seemed rather worn. Is that typical for these? My experience is that leather in gm trucks lasts pretty long. Are these an exception?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
Honestly, you probably won't find an LR4 less than 30k. The cheapest one I could find was a 2010 in Walnut Creek for 34k in the dark British racing green. It was actually one that I was considering but decided I wanted a newer model year. I don't remember the mileage, but it was a beautiful truck and a good price. They've had it for a while, so there might be some negotiation room. It was a used car place, but the vehicle seemed really nice and in really good condition. I'm pretty sure it's still available.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm also starting to consider an LR4 as an option if I can find one for a decent price. I do t want to spend 30k on a used truck and many of them seem to be asking mid 40s... the market for used LR3 trucks seems pretty slim.

Oh one more thing. The seats on both I looked at today seemed rather worn. Is that typical for these? My experience is that leather in gm trucks lasts pretty long. Are these an exception?

The LR4s are very nice - much better interior and who's going to turn their nose up at an extra 75 hp?

But as Erin pointed out, they don't exactly give them away. Figure a ballpark of $30-50K. She just bought hers recently so she should have a pretty good handle on what's out there.

As for the seats in the LR3s, I can say mine has about 115K and the leather is in about 85% condition. There are no tears or cracks, but the driver's seat has some 'fading' on the thigh bolster from people always sliding in/out. The foam is still good, though some of the stitching looks like it's getting tired. Not damaged yet, but I could imagine a seam coming apart in another 50K or so.

You might also ping Anudeep on this forum as he bought an LR3 a few months ago and for a while was keeping a pretty good eye on prices of local trucks. I believe he has an '06 HSE with about 125K miles.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
Here's the link to the green one. Still available as of today...

http://sfbay.craigsl...4781736474.html

I also saw two 2010 silver LR4 models available today around the Bay Area for 33k (82,000 miles) and 30k (67,000 miles) respectively. I think those are the lowest I've found. Interesting that the one with lower miles is less money, but I think it might be a private seller and worth looking at. That is a killer price.

http://sfbay.craigsl...4778079336.html. (Holiday special... Get a free warranty!)

http://sfbay.craigsl...4773380819.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by erinw.rrc, 09 December 2014 - 10:41 PM.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Thanks I sent off an email about the last one. Anything wrong with the first year of lr4?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Thanks I sent off an email about the last one. Anything wrong with the first year of lr4?

To my knowledge, there isn't anything wrong with the first year of an LR4... it has upgraded features from the LR3 and some design changes, as well as a bigger engine.

Here is a good comparison chart:

http://www.cars.com/...0,USB90LRS061A0

Edited by erinw.rrc, 10 December 2014 - 10:25 AM.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Hi,

Most info on buying LR3 (pretty much everything by DON) who also told me when i was buying too. Also LR4 by Erin and others. Ok my 2 cents now.

LR3:
I have a 06HSE HD package, had 110k when i bought it in July and 114 now. So far so good. I got a good deal and touch wood no problems so far. I got Dark blue which i did not wanted but after doing lot of research find a good used truck with all the options needed and a California truck was tough so settled with it. Ok thats my story.

So from my personal experience and research where i started looking for LR4 ans settled for LR3. Both are great vehicles. If money is not a constraint then go for LR4.

If LR3 buy 2006 and above. For HSE you can fit 18inch wheels as Don already mentioned. 2008 and 2009 models have Lux version where the seats are more cushioned and dash has some wood or metal brushing look. which is a little nicer look than the rugged plastic look.

If LR4 from my experience 2010 i would say skip. Get 2011 and above from some upgrades and bug fixes done and for a nicer and much better interior with a powerful engine and HP.

If you are just looking for off roading and some family trips then go for a LR3. Much cheaper and they are relaible easy to work on most stuff by yourself. make sure you check the recent work history done on the car like major services are done then you are good to go with simpler and cheaper fixes down the lane.
Lastly negotiate well on these cars as most people are scared to buy used Land Rovers you might end up a good deal. Check carfax history, try to skip LR dealerships as they price too much, take it to a inedpendent mechanic for pre purchase checkup if you are not sure about the trucks and last but not lease check the market price thru edmunds true market value. Most dealers honor that as they themselves buy trade ins based on those.

Just my 2 cents as most information is already shared by great people. Good luck for your search and hope to see you soon with your truck. Feel free to reach out to me or us in this group who is always helpful and handy and very nice.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Anything specific that would sway you away from a 2010 if I am more looking towards lr4?

Nick

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Crossing our fingers- we found one LR4 that seems like a winner. we are going to see it tomorrow. thank you all for your advice!!

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Of course new is better. Chris Solis also has recently purchased an LR4. Not sure what year but maybe he can shed some light on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users