Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04 Disco II or 04 Range Rover?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

New member here...I had a Disco II back for about 8000 miles in 2000, and sold it after less than a year back in the days, thinking that I wanted a sports car. Anyway, long story short, I really miss the Disco II since but the parking situation at home (in a community) never allow me to have more than 3 cars, garage and driveway with no street parking. Moving to a new place soon that I can have cars on the street again...that itch comes back full throttle.

This is going to be my 4th car so I have plans to mod it, cosmetically or functionality wise, to have a Disco II that I always wanted (e.g. ladder, snorkel), without worrying too much about parking in parking garage due to height or comfort. After some light research, I'm set on searching for a 03 or 04 HSE given the enhancements and engine change they did to these year models. I plan to actually use this like a SUV would deserve this time, some offroading and so forth. My wife might drive it here or there, I just don't want her to get stranded at some shopping malls. ::cry::

But rather than a blind search on Google, I would like to get for some biased-view (yes, bias ::bigsmile::) here...am I getting myself into a maintenance nightmare? (it was problem-free for me back then, but I only had it for a year, in its first year) I know it can depend on luck at times, but would love to hear some opinions and experience here.

I'm not thinking LR3 since Disco II holds that special place in me with the Discovery line. Wife did throw a question of why not Range Rover since both 04 models are roughly in the same price range. I haven't had a range rover before, so wouldn't mind one but I think I'm leaning towards Disco since that's where my itch is.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
I'm at work and don't have the time to go into all of the D2 details. Tonight when I'm home I'll post my thoughts on why you should go with a D2, and what to look for in your search.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, looking forward to it!

When I read the other posts, I'm starting to doubt myself if I should just get a 06' LR3 for the sake of better reliability. BUT I REALLY WANT A DISCO II!! ::nuts::

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I'm at work and don't have the time to go into all of the D2 details. Tonight when I'm home I'll post my thoughts on why you should go with a D2, and what to look for in your search.

In the mean time, take the opportunity to call your internet provider and upgrade your service, particularly throughput, as Brenton will have MANY valid reasons to own a highly capable D2....like his.

With that, Welcome to the NCLR!!

Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
If you want to talk LR3s, I recently wrote about half a book about them on another thread.

On your original topic though, if you really want to mod and use it off road the DII will be MUCH easier to build. There's just far more out there for them. I'd pick it any day. Plus, there's just something about the Discos that is fun to drive. Now if you were comparing the Disco and a RRC I might change it up, but I'd pick the Disco over an '04 RR for building/wheeling. If you were wanting more of a street truck that could handle bad roads and to keep the wife happy, I'd look at the RR. We have some guys who've built and wheel RRs, but relatively few compared to the Disco platform.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
If you're looking to build up a truck, the DII is the way to go. There's not much you can modify on that range of, well, Rangies.

To the specifics of the DII, there are many (of course), but here are some of the differences in model years and what you can expect as an owner.

The DII was from 1999 - 2004. The 1999 - 2002 models have the 4.0 engine, and the "standard" headlights. The 2003 & 2004 have the 4.6 and "upgraded" headlights. The a main lamp and turn signals are housed in a single unit. The lenses are plastic (earlier models are glass). and condensation build up on the inside can be an issue. Up to mid year 2001 models you could crawl under the truck and turn the CDL lever with a 10mm wrench to lock the transfer case. Land Rover removed the CDL guts from mid year 2001 through 2003. Then, in 2004, they included the guts in the transfer case, AND event connected it to the t-case lever. This is one of the top reasons why the 2004 is the best year of the DII. You have chosen wisely;) It's possible to install the guts, or replace the front output housing altogether to gain the center diff lock. Options to make the connection up to the shifter are as follows. Use a D1 t-cast shifter. Every D1 has the CDL so any shifter from them will work. Typically they need some working on to get all of the joints to move freely. There's a good chance it was never used by the previous owner. There is a bend you'll have to make to make it fit, but it's the most common mod for this application. Your other option is to track down the linkage from the 2004. These are very hard to come by and usually command top dollar. They would sell for $350-400 all day a few years ago. The '04 shifter is cable operated and is nice and smooth. I've not used a D1 enough to say how different they feel.

On a non '04 truck, you can lock the CDL (there's a red indicator light on the dash), turn the truck off, restart, and you'll have disabled the Traction Control. On the '04 the TC will remain on. There's a mod to enable this function if you desire it.

Wheels are either 16" or 18" from the factory. The 16" offers better, cheaper off road tire selection. The typical upgrade tire sizes are 245/75/R16 for a 32" tire, and either 265/85/R16 or 255/85/R16 (which is the true 33" tire size).

You'll want to find a truck with a good service records. One of the biggest problems with the DII are the head gaskets, especially in the 4.6 engines ('03 & '04). A few of the water jackets are too close to the cylinder wall and can cause small cracks to form, and eventually lead to HG failure. If the truck overheats, the block can warp and you're out an engine. It is possible to put the 4.6 crank, pistons, etc. into a 4.0. The temp gauge sits at 3 o'clock when running. It won't move up until 240*, and the overheat light goes off around 260*, which doesn't help much. I'd recommend getting something like the Scangauge, which will monitor things like temp, voltage, and also act as a code reader.

The other big issue is the 3 Amigos. This is when the Traction Control, ABS, and HDC (Hill Decent Control) warnings light up the dashboard. All of these systems are turned off when this happens as they all use the ABS for their function. They can be either a wheel sensor or the ABS module. There are cheaper repair kits for the module which have varying results of success. It can be an expensive fix, and a reason some people need to sell their truck. But it can also be a good bargaining tool if the truck is in otherwise good condition. There's a product called the ABS Amigo, that is made to specifically read the ABS codes and get the readout on your computer. The cost is less than the trip to the dealer to get the codes read, which can only be read by a Testbook or T4.

Be aware that the front driveshaft from the factory has no provision to replace the grease. What happens with the "sealed for life" u-joints, is they are a few inches from the cats. The heat breaks down the grease, the u-joint fails and knocks a hole in the transmission. Upgrading the u-joints, or getting a Tom Wood's driveshaft is the first thing that you should do.

There are tons of off road goodies for just about everything you'd need. If you want to lift your truck and not have to drop a bunch of money to do it right, you can go with a 2" lift. OME or RTE are the most popular spring options, with RTE being the more aggressive lift. Get some 2" extended shocks and you'll have a nice overland platform to build on. This is where the 245/75 tires are a nice match. You won't need to extend your brake lines, though upgrading to stainless steel braided lines are good not matter what. Going to 3" involves a lot more modification and investment. Springs, shocks, extended brake and ABS lines, (at least) radius arms, possible trailing arms, and driveshafts all should be upgraded. The rear driveshaft has a rotoflex coupling to the diff. It's a rubber donut that is typically upgraded to a 4 bolt flange when doing the 3" lift.

Good luck with your search. Post any trucks you find here and someone may be able to look at it if it's not close to you, or give an opinion on price, mods, etc. There was a pretty much fully built '04 within the last couple of weeks that looks good. Asking price was $7500. You'll spend many times that on mods to get there, but if you like to wrench, look for a solid stocker.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Don and Brenton, thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I like this forum already! It helps when I only started out my generic idea of wanting a LR that looks bad ass with the capability to tackle the bad roads. No substance, just a goal. Bet I can learn a few tips through here!

Don, your post in particular was the exact reason I started to decide if LR3 or D2 is what I want to go after...my heart says D2 to complete the chapter there since I owned my previous one for too little time, without ever doing anything to it.

Brenton, I guess they weren't kidding about a very detailed reply from you. Thank you sir! This is absolutely helpful. Most of the D2s I see out there are sitting in some used car lots now, not sure I can still find any service records, may be grabbing the VIN# and call some dealers around, if they were serviced by dealers. I guess a pre-purchase inspection is a must to avoid (or know) the surprises. I actually found a couple from craigslist:

04 HSE with low mileage (exact color I had as well): http://sfbay.craigsl...4800862718.html

04 G4 (waiting for seller to send me some pics): http://sfbay.craigsl...4806264097.html

What do you guys think? There are more on eBay, but a bit reluctant to write a check on something I haven't touched...old school when it comes to cars.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I printed these pages, put them between the pages of a leather bound book and read them wearing a tweed jacket smoking a pipe #Masterpiecetheatrestyle !

Nicely done, B, now I want a D2 too!

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Don and Brenton, thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I like this forum already! It helps when I only started out my generic idea of wanting a LR that looks bad ass with the capability to tackle the bad roads. No substance, just a goal. Bet I can learn a few tips through here!

Don, your post in particular was the exact reason I started to decide if LR3 or D2 is what I want to go after...my heart says D2 to complete the chapter there since I owned my previous one for too little time, without ever doing anything to it.

Brenton, I guess they weren't kidding about a very detailed reply from you. Thank you sir! This is absolutely helpful. Most of the D2s I see out there are sitting in some used car lots now, not sure I can still find any service records, may be grabbing the VIN# and call some dealers around, if they were serviced by dealers. I guess a pre-purchase inspection is a must to avoid (or know) the surprises. I actually found a couple from craigslist:

04 HSE with low mileage (exact color I had as well): http://sfbay.craigsl...4800862718.html

04 G4 (waiting for seller to send me some pics): http://sfbay.craigsl...4806264097.html

What do you guys think? There are more on eBay, but a bit reluctant to write a check on something I haven't touched...old school when it comes to cars.

Where are you based? There are more than a few members on the peninsula who A) Like beer and B) can take a cursory look at the G4. Further the Peninsula and Beer parts, we are gathering for dinner in San Carlos on Thursday if your in the area, would be great to meet up in person.

Cheers, Tom

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Just a heads up, I looked at the ad for the G4 and at the bottom of the listing it says that the truck is located in Riverside, CA. The guy seems to have it listed all over the state on all of the regional craigslists.. For what they're asking for it I'd expect to see a whole boat load of pictures. The only ad that had any pictures was this one : http://inlandempire....4794207112.html

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Here's a black 04 in the concord area that's only 3500. 96K miles, says needs O2 sensors. Maybe someone in the area could take a look at it and scan the computer to see what codes it's throwing. If O2 sensors is all it needs then it would be a cheap buy in and give you a lot of left over funds to put towards upgrades..

http://sfbay.craigsl...4802425157.html

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Silver 04 with 92K, OME 2" lift in Monterrey with new Cooper STT's for 7500 http://sfbay.craigsl...4803374921.html

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
This is the 4th or 5th add that has started with "if you are reading this add then you already know what's in front of you". Are all these being posted by same guy?

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover
I will say...
I sell way more electrical and engine modules on the 03-05 L322 Range Rovers vs a Discovery II

They as well have a pretty fault common suspension

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Here's a black 04 in the concord area that's only 3500. 96K miles, says needs O2 sensors. Maybe someone in the area could take a look at it and scan the computer to see what codes it's throwing. If O2 sensors is all it needs then it would be a cheap buy in and give you a lot of left over funds to put towards upgrades..

http://sfbay.craigsl...4802425157.html

I don't get a good vibe from this one based on the detailed description. Let me quote the whole thing for you:

Needs oxygen censors

OK then....maybe it does, or maybe it needs a whole lot more. Sounds to me what he is saying is it won't pass smog and O2 sensors seem like as good a culprit as any. Could also mean it needs cats, or a MAF, or ...

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Silver 04 with 92K, OME 2" lift in Monterrey with new Cooper STT's for 7500 http://sfbay.craigsl...4803374921.html

I like the looks of this one better. Again, not a ton of details in the ad but it feels like it was owned by somebody who cared about it. Price might be a touch high but I can't say I've got a good finger on DII prices.

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

I don't get a good vibe from this one based on the detailed description. Let me quote the whole thing for you:

Needs oxygen censors

OK then....maybe it does, or maybe it needs a whole lot more. Sounds to me what he is saying is it won't pass smog and O2 sensors seem like as good a culprit as any. Could also mean it needs cats, or a MAF, or ...

Yes, but for the price getting a PPI done somewhere at a reputable shop would go a long way. If it's in need of cats or something along those lines that could be a negotiating point to perhaps get a better deal. Get a quote for shop labour rates during the PPI and use that as a bargaining chip. Some people simply suck at posting ads on craigslist wherein you can find a good deal.

Case in point : I was searching local craigslist for "hella" found an ad with crappy pics for "hella fog lights" Looking at the crappy out of focus pic I was 90% sure the lights were a pair of Hella 4000's. Went and met up with the guy and checked out the lights, confirming my assumption was correct. Paid his $26 asking price and went happily on my way :) A lot of times craigslist deals are too good to be true, but occasionally you find a gem..

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
http://sfbay.craigsl...4804136438.html

Not the year you had in mind but this one has been owned by a guy who frequents the LR forums and goes by Kimo. Nice that you wouldn't have to do much to it.

http://sfbay.craigsl...4803374921.html

If this is for real it's a pretty good deal. An '04 with less than 100k.

http://sfbay.craigsl...4801083251.html

If the motors not toast this one has lots of goodies too. But I would test drive it a lot and watch the thermostat.

Rats. I was looking for that awesome 99 but I guess it sold. That was such a sweet deal. Hopefully someone knows who got it.

Edited by JFuller, 17 December 2014 - 09:54 PM.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
The HSE7 is the 7 seater (the silver one you linked to). Instead of the side cubby bins in the cargo area, there are two jump seats. They're good for kids, but the lack of storage is a big hit if you don't need the extra seats. The 7 seater also has the SLS (Self Leveling Suspension) in the rear. You'd probably want to switch to coils, which is easily done, but why bother getting a truck with it in the first place knowing you have to take it out. You'll need the Testbook (at the dealer or LR indy shop) to turn off the SLS warning lights when it's removed as well.

There's another option called ACE (Active Corner Enhancement) which is a hydraulic sway bar ram. The ACE system doesn't engage until the truck is moving around 20 mph or faster. The easiest way to tell if it's equipped is by looking at the power steering reservoir. If there are two caps on it, it has ACE.

If you're looking for more trail truck than grocery getter, I'd look for one without all of that stuff. The '04s seem to be going for a lot more than any other year. You could save a three or four grand getting an earlier truck and putting the savings in off road goodies.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

http://sfbay.craigsl...4804136438.html

Not the year you had in mind but this one has been owned by a guy who frequents the LR forums and goes by Kimo. Nice that you wouldn't have to do much to it.

http://sfbay.craigsl...4803374921.html

If this is for real it's a pretty good deal. An '04 with less than 100k.

http://sfbay.craigsl...4801083251.html

If the motors not toast this one has lots of goodies too. But I would test drive it a lot and watch the thermostat.

Rats. I was looking for that awesome 99 but I guess it sold. That was such a sweet deal. Hopefully someone knows who got it.

I don't really know him, but that first truck has been for sale on/off for over a year. Heck, I first met him a couple years ago when I sold him a set of race slicks. The truck seems pretty solid and he's an enthusiast - I'd feel pretty good about it.

The last one is a club member, I just can't remember his name. He was at Mexxis for the Central America chat and had it there. He did the wrap as a way to avoid trouble when traveling in that area because looking like a tour company helped with boarder crossings and less-than-official police business.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users