Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04 Disco II or 04 Range Rover?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

I don't really know him, but that first truck has been for sale on/off for over a year. Heck, I first met him a couple years ago when I sold him a set of race slicks. The truck seems pretty solid and he's an enthusiast - I'd feel pretty good about it.

The last one is a club member, I just can't remember his name. He was at Mexxis for the Central America chat and had it there. He did the wrap as a way to avoid trouble when traveling in that area because looking like a tour company helped with boarder crossings and less-than-official police business.

The owner of this truck is Mark Petersen, lives in Palo Alto and he's a straight up guy. truck is in good condition and at 7K, it is a really good deal. IMHO I think he's currently in Central America and a relative must be doing the selling.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wow, I turned away from my laptop for hours and look what I've got. You guys are just fricking awesome! Just from this thread, I went from I'm pretty sure I want a Land Rover again, to I just need one right now!

Thanks for all the research too, extra nice to know that you even know the owners of some of these postings. I'll start calling around and let you guys know how it goes. Back to the earlier posts...

Tom, thanks for the invite! Would definitely love to join up with the Peninsula folks, I'm currently in Mountain View, moving to Millbrae soon. Company holiday party tonight...meh comparing to meeting up with the Rover boys.

As far as that G4 goes, the seller (if legit) hasn't replied to my text with any pics. So who knows?! I don't need 7 seats in this, especially with the plan to get it off-road ready, I'll be a bad dad to put my little ones back there anyway. Didn't know about the relationship between HSE7 and SLS, nice to know since I will only learn eventually that it is one thing I will throw away.

This is getting exciting!

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

.... I'll be a bad dad to put my little ones back there anyway.

I have to disagree with you there .... my son has been off-roading since he was 4 yrs and driving since he was 8. As many can attest, he drives better than many people on the road these days and takes the manual transmission D1 safely to places most people won't drive.
I remember one member making multiple passes up and down Truck Hill at Hollister with his three very small ones sleeping in the back .... and probably safer than driving them on the freeway.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Graeme,

Great to know, that story of three little ones sleeping in the back was quite an amazing one! I meant that as a half-joke since I figure, from an adult point of view, is probably not a fun thing to take those 3rd row seats. I've been to some track events and have seen some young kids running the track with their Miata, more than happy to say they takes their lines better than I do.

Cheers!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I learned a long time ago you don't mess with spec Miata drivers on track. Those guys are bloodthirsty!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Gents, just when I thought I am set on a 03 or 04 SE (after what Brenton said about the 3rd row seats and SLS, which both make sense to me as things that I don't need), I came to this thread when I was really just looking for differences between SE and HSE as I want to see what am I missing out by not going with HSE, since price difference is minimal at this point.

http://landroverforu...ing-used-34910/

Is the 03/04 engine really that problematic? I thought I would appreciate the additional power and torque. On the other hand, is PDC (backup sensors) pretty easy to retrofit? I know places that do backup sensors, but figure to check anyway. And is it pretty easy to install a newer audio unit in a Disco? I want to at least bring one component back to the modern world with audio bluetooth streaming.

What do you guys think of this on craigslist?

http://sfbay.craigsl...4790780729.html

Apologize for all the questions...and of course, happy holidays everyone!

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I love it. Looks like I'll be doing some LED's on this soon.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
That green one looks nice - the mileage is low but not sure if it's priced well. Pedram's a Disco guy so he would know if it's a good deal...

Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
As I said earlier I don't follow Disco prices a lot but $9277 is STRONG money for a Disco. This looks like a clean low mileage stock example which is nice but I wouldn't expect to get any history or service records from it since it's at a used car lot where they likely won't be able to tell you much beyond 'uh, it's green? and I think it's British?'

I liked the mod'ed truck you posted earlier for less money better. It's always cheaper to buy a built rig and let somebody else pay for mods. You never get your money back on mods. (I'd probably cry if I knew what I could sell my truck for vs what I've spent on building it)

But a stock truck likely hasn't been wheeled, and this one appears clean so it was probably a soccer mom-mobile. It may make a good starting point if you want to build everything yourself. But again, I would think you could do better on price. I'd guess (remember - not an expert!) you could get something like that for closer to $6000

As to your earlier questions re SE/HSE, engine reliability, back up sensors, etc, I'll have to defer to somebody more knowledgeable about the Discos as I'm really getting out of my depth. Brenton? Pedram? Graham?

Edited by DHappel, 23 December 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Priced little high. I think $7000ish. Very clean but drive it and haggle.

Don't see many 2004's in this club.

Edited by Pedram, 23 December 2014 - 11:39 PM.

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
I agree with Pedram, the 2004 you have listed seems a bit high price wise.

Found the updated listing for the kitted out 2003. http://sfbay.craigsl...4812238885.html .

If I were buying in the range of trucks you are looking at then I'd spend my money here. Like Don said, all the bolt ons are already here. 2003's had a bad batch with mis drilled front cover dowels iirc and usually had oil pump failures. Since this truck has had the engine replaced with one from a 2004 that's a non issue. I haven't heard of a lot of issues with the 2004 4.6's.

The only thing that you'll probably want to save your pennies for is to swap in a LT230 with a CDL. 2003's have the neutered case with no CDL at all, unline the early D2's where it is there on the case just not connected. You can get away with a whole lot with the traction control on the newer trucks without the CDL, i'd get the truck and learn how it drives before you go down the road of swapping the T-case. When you have come to the point when that is your limiting factor then cross that bridge.

The other positive thing is that unless the truck was wheeled a lot before the wrap was put on it, the paint underneath is probably in pretty good shape.

If you are looking for a clean slate to do your own thing with, go right ahead.. been there done that. In hindsight I wish I'd have held out a little longer and bought a truck that already had the basic bolt ons done instead of getting a bone stock truck. And honestly, you're getting a truck to take out and have fun with. If you get one that's already been loved a little you wont cringe as much when you get some sierra pin striping or that inevitable bump or ding.

Cheers,

Jake

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I think some members know the owner of this rig you posted Jake. This has been on Craig's list for a while now. Might be worth buying cheap.

Also on the lt230, you don't need to swap it out, you just need the lever to engage it. All discos have it. Just the ones from 2000-03 don't have the lever to shift into central diff lock. It's really just a simple fix if you have someone who knows what's up.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
All D1's have the CDL guts, but there are years the D2 had no CDL guts (mid '01 through '03).

The Central America expedition truck would also be at the top of my list. The mods alone are worth over half of the asking price (well maybe not that white wire drawer system in the cargo area), and seems it's been pretty well cared for. A lot of the soccer mom trucks have been neglected over the years (lucky if they get regular oil changes) and you can get a bunch of needed repairs right off the bat. The '03 has also been listed for a while so there's probably a little bargaining room.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
I was going to simply post and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Then Found this thread.

MrKungFukick,

A 2004 DII is an excellent choice IMO; reason why I bought one back in 2008 for $15,999 w/very low mileage and have it till today.

I decided to sell it back in 2012 for $11,999 to thin # of Land Rovers (I have 3 + 2 non-LRs), but had sellers remorse ::cry:: and changed my mind.

Now I am looking at a new project (something to do with a 2015 Discovery; just have to get the wife's approval ::blink1::). With this in mind, 2004 DII is back on sale.

Well used but been reliable to me and my family w/all the up-keep that I've put into it. And invested in mild mods (more for Overlanding vs Rockcrawling) that allowed me and my family to go on various adventures from the Oregon back country discovery trail up North, and all the way down South to Mulege in Baja Mexico.

For the asking price, includes the BajaRack exp rack, front drive shaft rebuilt w/grease point, hoses/belts replaced, Three Amigos fixed, OME lift kit (springs/shocks and steering damper replaced), 16" wheels, RTE heavy duty rear bumper, and also head gasket replaced by one of our club sponsor Indy LR shop and other details posted back in 2012: http://norcalrovers....highlight=CT110

Since 2012, following have been added/replaced: new BFG AT tires all around last year, new starter & coolant overflow, and new MAF this year. Just passed smog test, and DMV registration paid till Nov 2015. Tepui RTT not included but negotiable for a good price! ARB fridge and Pacificos not for sale.

Join NCLR (required) to get my club discount of $9,999. That should pay for many years of membership. ::cheesy::

I can be found @ my favorite eatery called Mexxis (owed by club members) in San Ramon if you want to test drive it, and BTW, Justin (another club members) from British Recycler can outfit you with any DII used replacement parts.

Let me know if interested.

Cheers! ::lr::

And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!

Edited by RON CT110, 24 December 2014 - 09:15 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

I agree with Pedram, the 2004 you have listed seems a bit high price wise.

Found the updated listing for the kitted out 2003. http://sfbay.craigsl...4812238885.html .

If I were buying in the range of trucks you are looking at then I'd spend my money here.

My only concern (and I know nothing about this particular truck) is "Most recent work, new radiator, water-pump, coolant tank and cap, radiator thermostat,..." indicates a known over-heating problem. If it needed those things, it might in fact be a slipped liner. Those are the first things you change when a D2 over-heats and then it seems fine until .... it starts losing water on a regular basis and eventually ends up being a block problem.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
FWIW - There are a few peninsula folks close enough to Menlo Park we could look in on it for you if there is enough interest....

I think the parking lot at The Oasis or Dutch Goose will serve this mission well. :-)

Or we could meet at his or my house and give it a thorough beer test ;-)

I'm volunteering Graeme for this as well....

Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

MrKungFuKick

MrKungFuKick

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey all, big apology for disappearing from this thread I started...you must have thought I moved on and bought a Sienna AWD. :D House move, kid's school change...etc just pushed down the Discovery on the priority list. With that said (and settled), that fire never die and I'm back at it again. 

I'm planning to check this out over the weekend... http://sfbay.craigsl...4979849013.html

What do you guys think? I talked to the dealer couple days ago, I can't say they are suspicious just yet, but it's most likely just a used car lot. It's by appointment only, and the posting didn't mention a word of the dealer name. I have to think it's just some dude that carries a dealer license making a living out of flipping cars from auction. I do like it for the mileage...

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Looks pretty good from the pics. I'm not sure if this was posted or not, but this link has a pretty comprehensive check list for looking at a used truck.

http://www.lrrforums...used-check-list

Most important is if it has any service records, but you probably know that already.

Good luck!

• erinw.rrc likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users