Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lighten my load

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
As one starts to offroad bling his truck, the baby gets heavier and heavier with all the accoutrements.
Any suggestions besides the driver going to the gym and avoiding fast food to lighten up the load on a 05LR3?
That baby was the heaviest born from Solihull.
So far the least expensive is remove the 3rd row seats and replace it with a plywood deck, replace the steel winch cable with a synthetic line.
Replace the aux Optima with a smaller battery?
Delete the Hi-Lift?

Let's hear some suggestions for all models.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I wish I had some good ideas for you but I'm pretty much out on this one. I started out thinking I would do aluminum bumpers and armor for exactly this reason but soon enough I just gave up.

Let me know if you figure out a good way to remove the 3rd row seats. I've considered it but it looks like a PITA so I just leave them folded down.

Some day I should drive my rig over a scale loaded for a trip just to see how bad it is. I'm going to guess 6500 lbs.

That's one thing the next-gen Disco should have going for it over the LR4 - less weight!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

As one starts to offroad bling his truck, the baby gets heavier and heavier with all the accoutrements.
Any suggestions besides the driver going to the gym and avoiding fast food to lighten up the load on a 05LR3?
That baby was the heaviest born from Solihull.
So far the least expensive is remove the 3rd row seats and replace it with a plywood deck, replace the steel winch cable with a synthetic line.
Replace the aux Optima with a smaller battery?
Delete the Hi-Lift?

Let's hear some suggestions for all models.

All interesting. But, how heavy is it and what will lightening the load do for you?

Third row seats if not needed, then I see taking them out. On my RRC, with it's tiny engine, should be on a diet. So I only have what I think are essentials and am working to find a better/easier way to remove when not needed.

I'd say the things I need to review are tools and recovery gear. How many shackles? Can I get a multi wrench or double ended wrenches to lighten the tool bag. But then really, all my tools and load run 75 - 100lbs....

If you just want to reduce weight, I'd ask why? Has something NOT been working correctly that lighter would make better? If the answer is fuel economy......well, give it up. And travel a ton now as gas is "cheap"!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I'm from the Colin Chapman school of thought when it comes to cars - light is right. Lighter does EVERYTHING better...better economy, less wear and tear on the transmission and running gear, longer tire life, longer suspension life, better performance on road and off, longer brake life...etc. The only place more mass _might_ be good is in an accident. Of course, with a lighter vehicle maybe you'd have the improved handling and performance to avoid that accident in the first place.

Of course, I haven't taken any real steps to push my LR3 that direction. Heck, it's pretty much the opposite of 'simplify then add lightness'. But no doubt you can feel the heft of the rig off road.

OK, so you're not going to suddenly see a 20% jump in economy from any sort of reasonable diet, but every pound helps.

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I'm from the Colin Chapman school of thought when it comes to cars - light is right. Lighter does EVERYTHING better...better economy, less wear and tear on the transmission and running gear, longer tire life, longer suspension life, better performance on road and off, longer brake life...etc. The only place more mass _might_ be good is in an accident. Of course, with a lighter vehicle maybe you'd have the improved handling and performance to avoid that accident in the first place.

Of course, I haven't taken any real steps to push my LR3 that direction. Heck, it's pretty much the opposite of 'simplify then add lightness'. But no doubt you can feel the heft of the rig off road.

OK, so you're not going to suddenly see a 20% jump in economy from any sort of reasonable diet, but every pound helps.

I think my LR4 is up there as well as far as being heavy! This is why I would never use it as a daily driver if I had to commute far. I am not sure how I can lighten my LR4 - likely take the crap off the roof and maybe the HI Lift???
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
It's a brick design so removing the 3rd row seats inside, and changing from wire to synthetic I would think will not be much noticeable weight lost (maybe 75 lbs lighter).

But it's a good project to remove the 3rd row seat and build a lite pop-storage instead, and good to upgrade to synthetic anyways.

Unless you go back to stock, your vehicle is just a heavy weight fighter with sliders, winch, winch bumper, off-road tires and roof rack.

If you are not going on trips and just around town, yes I would take off the hi-lift jack, accessories on the roof, and leave the full spare in the garage. Toss in the 3rd row seat removal project and go synthetic. Maybe 200-250 lbs lighter.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
How about mount most of the stuff you consider heavy to your nifty trailer. You'll still have it on the long trips but for bombing around town you can be as light as possible. Or ditch it all and make sure to travel with a buddy who carries all that heavy stuff, then you get the best of both worlds. Hahaha

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
You guys cry about weight to much...... My daily driver weights over 9,000lbs. And it's the most expensive gas around. I have nothing else to drive at the moment and I'm doing fine. In fact I have another few hundred pounds of steel in the bed of it. I can't even move it on my own which is the reason why it's still in the bed of my truck.

Honestly these are not designed to be light. If you want to cut down on weight, I doubt removing the rear seats would affect anything. It's an all wheel drive truck with a solid frame and a decent V8. All the wires alone probably weight more than those two seats. Just think that your truck is made to be a boat anchor that can move when it's needed.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
The Hi Lift, how often do you use it, and how useful is it for your truck? I think the best bang for your buck right now is to ditch the Hi Lift off the bumper. If it's needed, find a way to store it in the back (might as well remove the seats), or trailer.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I seem to recall using a hi-lift on Rupert's truck earlier this year....darn pesky rocks.

Don

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

I seem to recall using a hi-lift on Rupert's truck earlier this year....darn pesky rocks.

And that was the only time I decided to leave the jack home. ;(
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

But it's a good project to remove the 3rd row seat and build a lite pop-storage instead

Ted is looking for a set of Third Row seats for his LR3 - If you are going to remove them, Ted is in the market to buy them.

I wont save much weight but will provide cash to buy more petrol. ::bigsmile::
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Can you add 3rd row seats? Ours folds down flat into their own special section. Not sure if this exists on trucks that weren't built with a 3rd row.

Let's ask the all knowing Don, i'm off today so I have time to read his reply

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Wait - people actually use their Hi-lift jacks? For what??

I thought to be properly accessorized you needed one of these things... like a bangle, a proper hand-bag or the right pair of shoes... My daughters talk about "accessorizing" all the time so I figured my rack should be accessorized too... :-)

But, as Rupert proved: the one time you don't have it you will need it.

Cheers, TO

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I always come with my A game. Like "Aye! Why did I bring everything?". I tend to bring more than needed and yes it's a clutter, but I'm able to get home. Expect the unexpected.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I gots all i need too[ATTACH]5771[/ATTACH]

Of course it's packed away with a bunch of other stuff, department of redundancy department style with 3 random sets of wrenches etc. One day i'll stream line it but it won't be this day.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
That should be in the mods part of your profile.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Have to add these too as i have about 100 pounds of them in use on the CT[ATTACH]5772[/ATTACH]

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Bailing wire works just as good.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Yesterday, a 10 lbs. bag full of very large, unneeded bolts was removed from the cargo box. As a bonus, I also found a missing bag of zipties, and my radio pullers during the clean up.

Thanks Rupert!

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users