Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lighten my load

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Tom. The only time I have used my high lift to perform a repair on mine it dented my door. I have however used it many times to remove fence posts. I have also used it to split wood and press in pesky bearing races in a pinch. Silly thing Is still bolted to the rack though.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Ha! I have used mine to lift my tractor (of the garden variety, not the RobG variety). I have had to "actually" use it to lift Colin's truck in effort to repair, of all things... a displaced rear spring. 😋

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever lifted my own truck with mine either.

I lifted Rupert's truck when he followed Colin into a rock garden (solution - don't follow Colin unless you're a little crazy!)
and I lifted the back of Pedram's to help re-seat a spring

Haven't tried to pull any fence posts with it. Maybe I should have - the last time I tried to pull a post I used my cherry picker and bent the cheap Chinese thing.

But yeah, you have to have one to look all expo-y. I think it's in the by-laws or something. Now if I could just keep it from getting rusty. I just re-painted the bar, oiled the mechanism, and put on one of the boots to help keep the crud out of it. We'll see how that works.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Tom. The only time I have used my high lift to perform a repair on mine it dented my door. I have however used it many times to remove fence posts. I have also used it to split wood and press in pesky bearing races in a pinch. Silly thing Is still bolted to the rack though.

Phil had the same thing happen to his Rangie. He was just trying it out on a slider and it tipped into the passenger door. His kids were none to happy about it because it was "their door". I'm pretty sure it was repaired shortly thereafter.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Yeah I remember Phil's door. That hurt watching it. Hi lifts need to be watched at all times. Like children.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Rupert or Don, I would REALLY like your third row seats. There is a nice styrofoam insert where the third row goes that stores the hitch and other accessories. I have researched the third row conversion on the web and it is replaced with the black rear deck that I have providing some additional storage. Again, I REALLY need the third row with three kids and extra family to tout around. I am willing to pay you for your seats. I have the tan interior, but I would even take black if I must. One feature that doesn't convert over is the rear entertainment outlets and rear climate control, but I just need the seating and belts. All the LR3s have the mounting points, wiring from the factory. I am willing to do the whole conversion myself. I have studied diagrams on the web and the shell of the LR3 at British Recyclers that had the 7 seats but rear seats removed.

I can drive to you and do the conversion. Please let me know.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Yeah I remember Phil's door. That hurt watching it. Hi lifts need to be watched at all times. Like children.

OMG! I remember that too! and it had to be jacked down, slowly, grinding away at that perfectly black glossy paint. The gouge was tremendous!

Edited by Teds, 03 January 2015 - 09:48 PM.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Rupert, I am off early on the 28th and you are welcome to stay the night on your way to Fresno.

Looking at my schedule, looks like I have Monday the 5th off, as well as 22nd and the 26th. I can drive up to red bluff and do the swap.

I will call you tomorrow.

For some reason, I cannot send PMs. Says my box is full but I cleared it out.

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

OMG! I remember that too! and it had to be jacked down, slowly, grinding away at that perfectly black glossy paint. The gouge was tremendous!

This story just isn't going to die, is it?

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
In my head, I have a video that's on loop every time I hear the words Phil and HiLift in the same sentence. It just plays over and over.... With Phil crying afterwards. It happens buddy. :)

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Anyone have any experience with the tire lift accessory? Less or no body damage?

http://www.hi-lift.c.../lift-mate.html

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
I think Ron has one
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Make sure you have wheels that this will work with first. They work but it's a HiLift idea. Again, can be dangerous no matter what.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

Make sure you have wheels that this will work with first. They work but it's a HiLift idea. Again, can be dangerous no matter what.

Yeah, really dangerous if the wheel you're trying to lift is the one that needs to be changed, LOL
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
HiLift is really an emergency type of recovery. It's fast but not intended to be secure for long periods. I'm sure if you read the warning label on it you would see that. It's a great tool when your stuck and need something quickly to just get you out of your mess, but at the same time it can make things worse.

Tom I would not hesitate to buy one of you feel you need it. It works on most applications but not all. Its really up to you. There are other ways to remove a tire if that's your plan but when you own a truck that's not equipped with lifting locations for a standard HiLift, then your kinda screwed when that's your only jack. And with this lift mate your options are better.

Edited by Pedram, 04 January 2015 - 10:02 PM.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Thanks Pedram, certainly slides are an obvious point for a Hi-Lift but as e have learned, aren't without the instant risk of the jack itself. For raising my disco, I have rear hitch receiver in the back and UI front the center section of my RoverWare bumper from Graeme is plenty stout (the outer sections are a bit angled and thus won't get a good purchase for the tongue of the jack - there are other versions of the same bumper with Hi-Lift points integrated in the bumper) but nothing on the side and if I have a wheel that's stuck, the liftmate seems like it would have a direct effect on the wheel. As for changing the tire, I assume one would Jack that wheel and then use some kind of cribbing to safely hold the vehicle while swapping wheels. It looks like it would be*better* in preventing the "Phil -effect" of vertical stripping but if the truck shifts away from the jack, the top is gonna go... Ouch

I also think the design, while not intended, can function like the bumper lift accessory as well... Given my lack of lift points, I've been considering this for a while... Well, ever since I found out people actually use the things... :-)

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
I have a Lift Mate. It hasn't been used in an actual recovery, just test to be sure it at least fits my wheels (which it does). Since I have sliders and bumpers, I don't have much need for the Lift Mate, I got it for vehicles without lifting points.

Tom, you're right about needing something to put under the axle if you need to change the tire that is also using the Lift Mate.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
And make sure you practice using your jack at home is a safe, controlled environment so that you are familiar with it before you need it.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Tapatalk is acting up. That post was also supported to read "there is an attachment for the hilift that inderts into holes on sliders/bumpers that makes it a tad more safe.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,418 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI