Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lighten my load

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I don't have one, but obviously it would make it easier to lift a tire to get a rock under it if you were stuck. I think you could improvise with a ratchet strap if you really needed to. The one thing that's nice about this is the pad that pushes against the sidewall to help keep the jack away from the bodywork.

There are tons of accessories to help make jacking/lifting safer. I mentioned these guys during the recovery demo at the MORG, so this seems as good a place as any to put the link:
http://bmihydraulics.com/

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Ted drove up and we swapped my 3rd row seats for his floor cover. Easy job? We thought 2 hrs most. He got here 9:30am and left 6pm. We both didnt know that the carpets, seat belts, trim, the number of bolts on both vehicles that had to be removed, re-installed.
It was a good day tho. A learning experience for both of us.
A hearty thank you to Ted.

I forgot. When we took out the seats, we heard the airbags go off releasing air. We both laughed.

Lighten My Load

Edited by ROVRMAN2, 05 January 2015 - 08:09 PM.

2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Next item to load lighten:
Name some vendors who sell synthetic winch lines at competitive(?) prices.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

There is a nice styrofoam insert where the third row goes that stores the hitch and other accessories. I have researched the third row conversion on the web and it is replaced with the black rear deck that I have providing some additional storage. Again, I REALLY need the third row with three kids and extra family to tout around. I am willing to pay you for your seats. I have the tan interior, but I would even take black if I must. One feature that doesn't convert over is the rear entertainment outlets and rear climate control, but I just need the seating and belts. All the LR3s have the mounting points, wiring from the factory. I am willing to do the whole conversion myself. I have studied diagrams on the web and the shell of the LR3 at British Recyclers that had the 7 seats but rear seats removed.

So it can be done, but you dont have the HVAC control or volume controls.

Hows it going, pictures???
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Yes, it was a full day ordeal because we did as close to a factory swap as we could. This involved removing the whole rear compartment including the carpets. We removed the rear pillar covers, seats, seat belts, carpeting, seat post holders, foam and deck components. Because Rupert has the upgraded stereo, he wanted to keep the speakers so I need to either find some new pillar covers with seat belt holes or cut mine up. Obviously, I don't have rear volume controls or HVAC but the seats are for short trips.

While I had everything torn up, I ran some 10g wire to the rear for my BlueSea fusebox that I will install soon.

So it can be done, but it is not just a simple swap if you want it to look factory. I have read other who simply cut the carpet, which works if you just have seats to install, but that leaves a hole out of the donor truck. Overall, both trucks look great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I have a Lift Mate. It hasn't been used in an actual recovery, just test to be sure it at least fits my wheels (which it does). Since I have sliders and bumpers, I don't have much need for the Lift Mate, I got it for vehicles without lifting points.

Tom, you're right about needing something to put under the axle if you need to change the tire that is also using the Lift Mate.

B, I'd love to take a look at this when we are next together and see if is even an option on my wheels. Thanks

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Glad to see you pulled it off. I sort of looked at mine and thought about it at one point, but didn't see an easy way to make it happen.

Don

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

B, I'd love to take a look at this when we are next together and see if is even an option on my wheels. Thanks

You got it! Making the Drip in the Dirt dinners is harder now that I'm working in San Rafael, but will try to make the next one and bring my recovery case.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

You got it! Making the Drip in the Dirt dinners is harder now that I'm working in San Rafael, but will try to make the next one and bring my recovery case.

No worries. Always good to see you but no need for a special trip on this one. Thanks

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
I may be in minority here, but I've used my Hi Lift a lot for self recovery. Changed tires with it, jacked myself up off of rocks that I was high centered on, even used it to push a log away from the body (saving my quarter panel) after a particularly slippery spot near Gold Lake. Not to mention jacking my trailer hitch off when it got stuck...
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
I've used mine. Once to stack rocks under an offending wheel on Fordyce. Just jack up the wheel, insert rocks to get me off of my diff.

Once in the driveway. Jack up the tire - slip a jack stand underneath it. Coulda been done just as easily with a bottle jack -- but this was handy.

Also once when stuck in nasty mud. Jack up tire, insert rocks.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Sounds like we need a get-together up at Terrapin Crossroads...

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I may be in minority here, but I've used my Hi Lift a lot for self recovery. Changed tires with it, jacked myself up off of rocks that I was high centered on, even used it to push a log away from the body (saving my quarter panel) after a particularly slippery spot near Gold Lake. Not to mention jacking my trailer hitch off when it got stuck...

On the Alaska off-road Warriors 'reality' television show, the guys in the 4-cyl. yota used the long part of the hi-lift as a land anchor/winch point. What *can't* you do with a hi-lift?

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

What *can't* you do with a hi-lift?

Keep them stable...

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Got that covered too...

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Got that covered too...

Interesting. I kept looking at the wires that I assume are designed to prevent the jack from allowing excessive lateral movement on the vehicle?

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
yeah, pretty much. They aren't taught, but don't allow much flex as you can see in the video. I think the wide base does as much to help as anything. They make a bunch of stuff for the HiLift as well as a nice bottle jack system. It would be nice to have all of it, but there's only so much money and space available.

Plus, not having every possible toy just means better stories later around the campfire.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users