Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ARB Fridge Calibration

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Santa, with the help of a holiday sale at 4Wheel Parts, brought me my long awaited ARB fridge! With the voice of Brenton talking about ice cream in the desert in my head and that I can almost taste the properly chilled Pacificos from Ron Boston's generous sponsor I plugged her in to get started.

I have to say, this might have been a "Christmas build" because for the price, my OCD was not impressed with the build quality. Compressor cover panel not fit properly, screw capped not fully seated, even ARB branding not fully stuck I place... Oh well, I fixed all of those.

But the temps looked to be way off... I have an infrared thermometer and a host of other random bits but the only thermometer I trust is in our new kitchen fridge... Anyway - through trial and error and wasted time on hold with ARB, i go to social media. A tweet and a facebook post both get answered, proper phone numbers discovered and I land on the need to "calibrate" the thermostat.

Here is my post over on Expo:

I recently joined the ranks of ARB Fridge Owner and am really looking forward to having it along. Like folks on this thread, I noticed that the temps were off when I first plugged it in.

Here is what I learned:

My Part: Before thinking the temps are way off, there is a right way to measure. Put some items in the fridge and let settle. For me it was two 1 gallon milk jugs 7/8 full of water in each compartment, a couple of aluminum water bottles, a soda can or two, and a few oranges in the upper dairy section. The factory measures the temp in the center of the floor with a static remote thermometer resting on top of/above the internal basket at this center location. After letting the temps settle (overnight) I used both a static and infrared thermometer to test the temp of the water in the jogs/bottles and the temp differential was now in the +/- 10 degree range.

When I finally got through to ARB, a tech (Eric) told me I need to calibrate the thermostat (as suspected) and walked me through the calibration process.

It is as follows:

1) Press and hold BOTH + and - temp setting buttons and HOLD for about 5 secs until AOF appears on the display, then release
2) Using the + or - button, add or remove degrees to the setting. For me I was running warmer so I added (+) degrees to the reading to match the internal temp.
3) After adding degrees, release the button and the fridge will blink to acknowledge/accept the new setting and begin to adjust accordingly

What I learned from Eric is that these fridges are sometimes out of calibration and this is how to do it; there is an 8º range of adjustment (now mine is running at +6 of 8) and calibration has no effect on how cold the fridge will get - meaning it won't now reach a max cold of 6º warmer than a differently calibrated fridge. Also learned the factory temp reading scenario above.

Also of note, the "CH1,2,3,4" settings are for a yet to be released Wireless Monitoring System. If you noticed the small rubber plug on the back by the power connectors, this is part of that. Think of it as ODBII ad there will be a small transmitter that plugs into the rear connector and you can change channels as not to interfere with other fridges within range. There may also be other monitoring type accessories available as well..

I had some assembly QA concerns and he was kind enough to address those apologetically and added "they come from the manufacturer etc.." So I asked who the manufacturer was and he mentioned they are built for ARB by eCamping (?) A quick web search found an eCamping site but

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,424 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Excellent post, Tom. I was not aware there is a display calibration function.

But the temps looked to be way off... I have an infrared thermometer and a host of other random bits but the only thermometer I trust is in our new kitchen fridge... Anyway - through trial and error and wasted time on hold with ARB, i go to social media. A tweet and a facebook post both get answered, proper phone numbers discovered and I land on the need to "calibrate" the thermostat.

Sad that it took going to social media to get a decent response.

A quick web search found an eCamping site but

looks like you got yanked off stage... bring back Tom!

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I have an older model. I bought an internal/external temp gauge for when I use it in the Westy. I know how hot the car is, so I can adjust up or down on the fridge, and I can either montior TOP or bottom temps. Mine only has the C° so it was needed!

I recommend the extra gauge idea.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Congrats Tom, you'll like the fridge even with the little issues at the beginning of ownership. Good to know about the calibration too!

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Original post.

http://expeditionpor...d.php?p=1743561

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Santa, with the help of a holiday sale at 4Wheel Parts, brought me my long awaited ARB fridge!
When I finally got through to ARB, a tech (Eric) told me I need to calibrate the thermostat (as suspected) and walked me through the calibration process.
It is as follows:
1) Press and hold BOTH + and - temp setting buttons and HOLD for about 5 secs until AOF appears on the display, then release
2) Using the + or - button, add or remove degrees to the setting. For me I was running warmer so I added (+) degrees to the reading to match the internal temp.
3) After adding degrees, release the button and the fridge will blink to acknowledge/accept the new setting and begin to adjust accordingly
What I learned from Eric is that these fridges are sometimes out of calibration and this is how to do it; there is an 8º range of adjustment (now mine is running at +6 of 8) and calibration has no effect on how cold the fridge will get - meaning it won't now reach a max cold of 6º warmer than a differently calibrated fridge. Also learned the factory temp reading scenario above.

Yes, he told me that too ..... mine still varies temp between unity power and vehicle power, does yours?

Also of note, the "CH1,2,3,4" settings are for a yet to be released Wireless Monitoring System. If you noticed the small rubber plug on the back by the power connectors, this is part of that. Think of it as ODBII ad there will be a small transmitter that plugs into the rear connector and you can change channels as not to interfere with other fridges within range. There may also be other monitoring type accessories available as well..

Bluetooth, not OBD2. And why isn't this mentioned in the manual? I had the same question.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Think ODB2 as for fridge data. The transport layer is yet to be defined but likely, my guess, it will be a Bluetooth type dongle that attaches to the fridge. Will likely display temp and voltage since the fridge reads both. It has been spoken of in AU but he felt they might be trying to move some additional inventory before announcing... Maybe CES? Dunno but he did feel it would be a separate accessory vs. An app on phone.

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Think ODB2 as for fridge data. The transport layer is yet to be defined but likely, my guess, it will be a Bluetooth type dongle that attaches to the fridge. Will likely display temp and voltage since the fridge reads both. It has been spoken of in AU but he felt they might be trying to move some additional inventory before announcing... Maybe CES? Dunno but he did feel it would be a separate accessory vs. An app on phone.

Tom,

Your guess was correct I think, except that it uses "clever wireless transmitting technology" not Bluetooth.

http://store.arbusa....026-P22863.aspx

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 15 November 2015 - 11:06 AM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Yup. I had a long chat with those guys.. Interesting platform

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Tom,

Your guess was correct I think, except that it uses "clever wireless transmitting technology" not Bluetooth.

http://store.arbusa....026-P22863.aspx

Graeme

You know it's clever - they specifically say so twice!

• TomOwen likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users