Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rack storage boxes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
So trying to find something to put up there to store all camping crap. Must be waterproof and sturdy.first thought pelican but I can't find any used ones that are big enough. Tall is a plus as the wife packs a lot... anyone have a line on used pelicans or another suggestion?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Pelicans are certainly the default choice for most people but like you say they don't come cheap. Typically it seems most people just scan craigslist for the occasional bargain but ... well, it's craigslist so we all know how random that can be.

I've not tried them but have heard good things about the DeWalt tough system boxes:
http://dewalt.com/to...op-storage.aspx

Still not cheap if buying new, but maybe a bit less dear that Pelican.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Some other brands worth looking into-
Doskocil
Plano
Hardigg
Seahorse
UK

And of course not really waterproof but OK for non-critical use, the ubiquitous Rubbermaid actionpacker

http://www.fuertecas...m/products.html
http://www.gottagosu...uisville_ky.htm

Don

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Before using Pelicans, the Camel Trophy used Zarges cases.

https://www.zargescases.com/

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Some other brands worth looking into-
Doskocil
Plano
Hardigg
Seahorse
UK

And of course not really waterproof but OK for non-critical use, the ubiquitous Rubbermaid actionpacker

http://www.fuertecas...m/products.html
http://www.gottagosu...uisville_ky.htm

I purchased a Hardigg case and use it to stow our camping gear (bags, tent, etc.) when dried out & not in use. The one thing i'll note about Hardigg is that the lid is a significant portion of the overall box height, which wasn't factored in when I initially bought it to use on the Range Rover. While it worked, it looked... odd. I've since moved to 2 Pelican 1650s and they hold just about everything we need for multi-day expeditions.

Like everyone, we're still trying to work down to just the essentials, but somehow these cases get loaded with more stuff each time we embark on another trip...

Here is the 1650 link on Amazon. I pulled out the pick n' pluck foam if anyone sees value in it... >hint hint<

Also purchased one of the 1659 lid organizers. Good place to store important papers, small objects, etc. Here is the link.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
That's a good price on the 1650 (especially with free shipping), but your limited to black (if that matters). I'm not sure what type of guarantees the other makers provide, but Pelican's is top notch. If anything breaks, Pelican will replace the case no questions asked. I did this last summer with a case I got of CL. They're in Torrence, so shipping is super fast.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
My baja rack hasn't arrived yet so i can't take measurements like i would prefer to but i'm trying to get some boxes pre-shaver lake so i can have them for our gear in case in rains, etc. on my roof rack i'll have my rv-5 oztent down one side so the pelican cases will need to fit between the oztent and the rail on the opposite side of the rack. since my oztent isn't here yet either (sigh) i can't measure that. does anyone have an idea how much space is left after you strap a rv-5 up there? side-to-side obviously.

thanks

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Another thing is to look for Pelican Cases on Craigslist. They pop up all the time. You have to know what they retail for as some people ask dam near retail for them on CL, but with enough searching you can find some pretty good deals. I picked up a 1550 a few months back for my tools at work for 50 bucks and I've seen some of the 16XX series cases for 50-100 bucks on a regular basis. Just figure out what size works for your application and search.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I'm not sure how much this will help, but here are a couple pics showing my RV-4 on an Urban Offroad rack. If anything, the Baja rack should be slightly wider than mine since I have such a low-profile model. I would expect there would be room to get a 1650 along side the tent. If I get a chance, we probably have a 1650 laying around here somewhere...Michele has tons of pelicans from work.

I need to re-do all my mountings as well since I have a road shower and set of traction jacks to get up there. Just waiting on the traction jacks to arrive (any day now....)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I was also just doing some research on this topic. Certainly the Pelican cases re most durable and most expensive. The 1650 seems like a great size for kitchen supplies etc...

Like you, I was looking for something to store/contain the basic camping furniture, Chairs, Cot, etc... that would go in top of the rack. I would like relatively low profile because of height and wind resistance, and a width that would fit well on my Safety Devices rack. The rear of the D1 rack is about 46" x 46" within the rails and the front flat section is about 26"w

The Plano cases are the kit of choice for Michael at Overland Bound (www.overlandbound.com) and he certainly has his "system" down pat. For me they seem a bit short at 37.5"l x 14"h x 18.25w Most of my camp chairs come in around 35" long when folded and my cot comes in at 41.25"
Plano LInks: http://www.planomold...ID=153&PID=1307
Walmart: http://www.walmart.c...ge-Box/20893857 $21.90

These seem like an easy entry point especially at the price. (fwiw- I have seen them on the same site for about $70... huh...)

The cases I now have my eye on that will fit the furniture then all the soft stuff on top are the SKB iSeries 4213 http://www.walmart.c...-Black/37381402 $280.00

They seem to be very similar to Pelican, lifetime warranty (for the original owner with PoP) and 2 of these will fit on the rear section with room for my table (50"), umbrellas, ezup or whatever on the side etc...

Let me know if you go this route as I'd love to see them in person...

Tom

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I have a couple of those monster 1780's that Pedram got a few years ago. Great cases but once they are loaded, boy are they heavy. I usually load one up in the front step down portion of my Baja Rack on the disco and put everything in it up on the roof as it's just a bear to get up there fully loaded.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
If anybody wants new Pelican cases I can buy them through my distributor for less than I have found them online at places such as Amazon. I need 1000 dollars to get free shipping but I order from there often so that's usually not a problem.

Nick

My Rover Pics

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Tom - the pelican 1740 is about the same size as the SKB case you linked to. Maybe Nick can check and see what the pricing he can get on the 1740 no foam version for you.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
So I have the 1650's (1 for the full kitchen and 1 for gear) and they are awesome but don't go on the roof, too heavy to lift. I did score 2 pelican 1690's on CL for $100 each and they are huge!! Not long/wide enough for my Oztent camp chairs but huge and I have one one the roof for most trips. It is a great place to throw duffle bags, sleeping bags, my trauma kit, etc. You are more than welcome to borrow one for the Shaver trip and see how it fits your needs. I have been looking to put a second permanent box on the roof (already have an old footlocker my mom used to come here from England many moons ago, waterproof, used U bolts to mount it to the rack). If you have the coin the Alu boxes at http://www.equipt1.c...-cases/in-stock are sexy as can be, light and no wasted space. The 120L one is bigger than a pelican 1650 I think so you would technically be saving money if you just bought 1 (learned this trick from the wife).

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Those Alu-boxes are NICE. I like how they interlock when stacked and the thinner wall thickness means more interior volume for a given footprint.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

(fwiw- I have seen them on the same site for about $70... huh...)

I just figured out what FWIW means...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Foul Winds In West?
First With InterWeb?
Fly With Ira Walker?
Fred Wrangle Is Wacky?

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
"For What It's Worth"

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Foul Winds In West?
First With InterWeb?
Fly With Ira Walker?
Fred Wrangle Is Wacky?

Are those your movie references from over a decade ago? Haha!

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

I have a couple of those monster 1780's that Pedram got a few years ago. Great cases but once they are loaded, boy are they heavy. I usually load one up in the front step down portion of my Baja Rack on the disco and put everything in it up on the roof as it's just a bear to get up there fully loaded.

Like this?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users