Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rack storage boxes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Like this?

Like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've never seen the tri-spoke wheels on a Disco... different

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Jake doesn't fallow the traditions. He's also the only disco I saw with a Baja rack. I'm interested now.

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

I've never seen the tri-spoke wheels on a Disco... different

-Jared

Yeah, not my favorite rover wheel by far but they are a lot lighter than the disco spare steel wheels I was running before. And the fact that they came as a full set of 5 wheels with pretty much new general grabber AT2's for $150 for the set i'm not going to complain too much..

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Another pelican-like alternative:
http://www.mcmelectr...roduct/22-24120

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
so now that i have the rack on, how do you put an oztent up there with the part that divides the front and rear sections of the rack?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Sawzall?

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Lol.. i cant cut it until its at least a week old.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

so now that i have the rack on, how do you put an oztent up there with the part that divides the front and rear sections of the rack?

Ah, well see, I don't have that crossbar on my Urban rack so I never really gave that any thought.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Are there any special short tie downs you guys use?

Nick

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Are there any special short tie downs you guys use?

Now that I can help with. I've been using ROC straps on the bikes for ages, and I have both large and small versions I use to secure the Oztent to my rack.

http://www.rokstraps.com/

You can find them on Amazon.

I use the bike-style ones w/o hooks. Just loop them around the rack tubes and back through themselves then pull tight. I've never had one come loose or break, and I've been using them for maybe 10 years.

Edited by DHappel, 26 January 2015 - 07:57 PM.

Don

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
All of their products have Stretch in the names. The straps look like typical poly straps, but do they actually stretch? Obviously stretchy material isn't what you want for load lashing.

I have a pair of 6' self retracting ratchet straps. They work well, but they have 2 issues. First, which isn't too big of a deal, they are bulkier than the pass through style straps. Second is that the opening for the hook is a tad skinnier than one inch. Of course the SD (Safety Devices) rack uses one inch tubing. I have cinched them on the rack, and they've always worked, but there's not enough contact to make them my "go to" straps.

Yesterday, I bought a four pack of 400 lbs. ratchet straps for $10 at Lowes. They are for the ARB fridge once the cargo shelf is rebuilt after Shaver. Assuming the hooks fit your rack, I'd just dedicate a pair of straps like those and cut them to the length you need. Burn the ends so they don't fray and call ir done.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Yes, they all have some stretch but I've used them on the truck and bikes with good success. They really work well. Basically they're a lashing strap with a short stretchy section built in. I've got tons of different size ratchet straps as well as bungee straps of all sorts and keep some in the Rover as well as Hello Kitty but I've still found the ROC straps extremely useful. I've hauled my RV4 with 4 ROC straps with no problems. Never moved an inch. Much more telling, I've hauled lots of weird things on the rear seat of the bike(s) and never lost anything. And on the bike there's no way to carry and use a regular ratchet strap.

A similar product from Frontrunner is called the 'strachit'
http://www.frontrunn...ml#.VMcqvZw5Cpo

Edited by DHappel, 26 January 2015 - 10:15 PM.

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
What is the design reason behind the slot stretchy section? Seems to me once you pull tight the stretchy part would be maxed out and the strap is holding the load at that point no?

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Since these don't have a ratchet to crank down on, the stretchy part seems to let you better pull it tight and it will sort of self-adjust to shifting loads. It does however limit the ultimate amount you can tighten it down, unlike a ratchet strap where you can just keep cranking.

I suppose they are in between a ratchet and a bungee.

They really aren't the end-all of straps for a truck; like I said I first started using them on my bikes. There I can attach them on all sorts of things where a steel hook wouldn't work well and the flat design keeps them from rolling.

So they aren't as heavy duty as a ratchet strap but are quite convenient, will hook on places where a regular steel hook won't, and don't scratch painted surfaces. Think of them as another tool in the lashing toolbox; sort of like a soft shackle vs a regular D shackle. They seem sort of silly at first, but I really started to like them after having had them a bit.

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I really like the idea, seems simple. Certainly strong enough to secure the ARB fridge or the camp chairs and such on the rack... Not sure if the right tool for securing cargo boxes up top but good for soft stuff. Also like the mounts. The hooks on my ratchet straps are just a bit too small for the SD rails so I end up looping the ends like this anyway. On the other end these could go anywhere through the chicken coop flooring... Will have to check one out when I see you...

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I am late here, as usual.... I have the pelican cases (1650s) and I am getting the EO2 lock down system soon. I like the ROK straps that Don talks about, have some of them, but also I like the regular ratchet straps that Tulsa Chain sells, they have a nice 8" one that is very strong and works perfect for my pelican cases - I strap two up there and those cases are down there for a hurricane!!! In addition, you can barely see them.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Hey David, may I have a look at your rok straps? I'm curious to see how they work... Are you headed to Shaver?

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Well Tom, if you'd come up to Shaver yourself I'd let you see mine.

wait, that sounds wrong....

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Ha, I know whatcha mean ;)

Your at Shaver and David is up the street. Besides, I could checkout the fancy tire carrier I person ;)

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users