Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Redwood City Machine Shop?

- - - - - machining drill bore stuck wheel studs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Looking for a Redwood City machine shop I could get to drill out 2 wheel studs, have wheel removed from vehicle,

Been fighting with it over the weekend, my little drill press doesn't have the oomph and the carbide drill bits don't seem to be working too well.

Any suggestions?

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Welder? You need cutting oil. Drive over here in Fremont. I'll burn it out. All the machine shops are closed Sundays.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I have used "Jim's Machine Shop" on Warrington for U-Joints... I don't have a recommendation one way or the other really... good luck

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Welder? You need cutting oil. Drive over here in Fremont. I'll burn it out. All the machine shops are closed Sundays.

Funny you should mention cutting oil. I tried to buy some over the weekend to cut the holes in my bumper and nobody had any! I ended up making do with WD40 and ordering some real cutting oil from Amazon.

Most guys I know don't have a clue what cutting oil is. They just turn the drill up full speed and go to town and work-harden the piece in the process so nothing will cut it. Heck, it's hard to even find a press that goes slow enough for steel work at the typical home depot type store.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
You need to stop shopping at harbor freight. But your right. I bought mine at Dale Hardware. They have a bigger squeeze tube style. Normally they come in a metal can. Some might have an acid brush. But I can't recall where.

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
is the Hub off the truck? If so and you can make it to Berkeley I can get them out for you.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
I found a guy who is doing it for me .. A neighbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Took some rotors to Jim's to be turned....

Old guy in the corner shoulders deep in a media blaster surrounded by mountains of aluminum heads, blocks, and greasy parts keeps plugging away for a bit... shuts it down pulls his arms out and makes his way over to me.

I say "HI, I called a while back about having these rotors turned blah blah blah.. "

He looks at them for .5 seconds, looks at me... 

I say, "Should I wait around or come back end of day? What works best for you? 

Big ol' guys with piercing blue eyes looks through me and says "I'm in the middle of something, give me an hour" picks them up and turns around and limps (bad knees I later learn) toward a big solvent cleaning apparatus from 1960s....drops them on the basket, closes the door and continues on to the media blaster, fires it back up and that was that... 

No name, no paper work, no waiting room, 11 words and we're done here.

He was more engaging when I picked them up. Very familiar with Land Rover (Buick) motors, liners, top hats, etc... has one in the shop now. Guy spent $1k on pistons for the block that are too small.. Phil said, "should gone slightly oversized and I would have bored to fit", "But now he's stuck" Either way, seems to know his stuff, last of the real "machine shops" in the area and seems to know about these motors.  (not that I could challenge him enough to verify...)

Keep it in mind as a resource...

Tom

Phil 

of

Jim's Machine Shop

706 Warrington, Redwood City

650 366 9394

• RedRover likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

nengelbrecht6

nengelbrecht6

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mountain View, CA
  • KM6FDZ
  • 2005 LR3 SE

Tom,

Thanks for the information about Jim's. Whenever my stuff finally arrives from the movers (I'm told this Saturday but it was due to be delivered by mid-July) I've got the original engine, heads, intake and a bunch of other parts. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, if anything, but I may take a ride over to Jim's to discuss with them. Problem is this engine sat in the guy's shed collecting rainwater for years when he removed it from the 110. I had to use a sledge hammer and some blocks of wood to free the pistons from the cylinders. May not be worth saving because of the rust ring around where the piston rings were, but I suspect Jim will give me an honest answer.

~Nick

• TomOwen likes this

Nick

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Tom,

Thanks for the information about Jim's. Whenever my stuff finally arrives from the movers (I'm told this Saturday but it was due to be delivered by mid-July) I've got the original engine, heads, intake and a bunch of other parts. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, if anything, but I may take a ride over to Jim's to discuss with them. Problem is this engine sat in the guy's shed collecting rainwater for years when he removed it from the 110. I had to use a sledge hammer and some blocks of wood to free the pistons from the cylinders. May not be worth saving because of the rust ring around where the piston rings were, but I suspect Jim will give me an honest answer.

~Nick

Ol' Phil (or Jim) wasn't much of a conversationalist.. but I'm sure we can gather plenty of guys to give every opinion and you can take some of that to Jim/Phil for validation ;-)  Beers will be involved.

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

They did a good job on my heads earlier this year when I changed my head gaskets - reasonable cost - be prepared to pay in cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users