Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New to me. P38 HSE 4.6.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Again, I am grateful for the support. This is a great community.

When I bought this last Saturday, it had no codes. The oil level was slightly low but within limits, the owner said he hadn't changed the oil since he bought it in November of 2014 so changing it was a priority to me. I brought my obdII code reader with me and scanned for codes and nothing was there. I drove it home to Modesto, CA from the East Bay. I felt pretty good on Monday so I went and bought some conventional Rotella 15/40 and new oil filter. I changed the oil and filter (while in a neck brace -- which sucked), started up the vehicle and got the service engine light. I plugged in the reader and came up with P0307 - Misfire @ #7 and the P1319. The vehicle had 1/2 tank of fuel at the time. I cleared the codes and drove it down the road, parked it, shut it off and started it back up and the service engine light reappeared, with the same codes -- Please keep in mind that I had a neck brace on while changing the oil and had neck surgery 4 weeks earlier...I was exhausted physically and mentally. I re-started it, opened the hood (bonnet!) and listed. I could hear a tapping noise but wasn't really alarmed by it. When I first started it up there was white smoke from the exhaust but I assumed that the vehicle was just cold. The coolant level had not appeared to change from the drive from the East Bay to Modesto.

I am picking up the vehicle tonight from the shop and paying my $105 (they said they could/should charge me $210 because of the time) diagnostic fee. I will be parking it and there it will sit for a bit. Last night I ordered a set of magnecor "leads" so I will be putting those on next week. I put a call in to Dan and left him a message. I should probably email him to check his status. Here's where I stand -- I bought this for $2500. I am willing to invest into the top half of the motor - Head Gaskets and getting heads machined..etc ($1500??). but I simply cannot justify to my current fiance or myself --who I just bought a "fixer-upper" house with - the cost of complete new motor ($5000+).

Reach out to Jeremy Pound, club member, and in Modesto. Maybe he can help out by looking at it and / or know of a better shop!

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's been done and he has been very helpful. Dan will be in town in late February and I'm hoping to get some of his time on this.

Reach out to Jeremy Pound, club member, and in Modesto. Maybe he can help out by looking at it and / or know of a better shop!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I think you've got a solid plan.

A-get it back home
B-change the leads
C-clear the codes and take it for a test drive
D-report back

If you didn't feel anything too bad on your drive home I doubt there's anything critical going on. The mis-fire indicated by the code could easily be the leads or other ignition related item so that's a good place to start and if not it you've done some worth-while preventive maintenance at minimal cost so all good. From your description I don't think you've lost a head gasket or valve (possible, but it doesn't seem probable). _Maybe_ a slipped liner, but again I'll defer to others there as I've never had to diagnose one myself.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I picked it up, argued with the shop that the valves are still available, payed my $105 diagnostic fee, cleared the code and drove it home. The service engine light did not come back on and the vehicle drove fine.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I picked it up, argued with the shop that the valves are still available, payed my $105 diagnostic fee, cleared the code and drove it home. The service engine light did not come back on and the vehicle drove fine.

Nice. Glad you got out of there with minimal damage.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Nice work everyone. Peter I hope you get things resolved without breaking your neck.... Pun intended.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

in aggregate, $105 for all the diagnostics and advice is pretty unscathed. ;-) Meaning, one less than honorable shop with a $5000 target combined with a great group of rover enthusiasts who can calm the nerves and diagnose the issue.

I found this club the same way (well more than $105) and it has been great. Like you, started with help for a problem, in doing created friendships, which got me out on the trail more which created more confidence in the truck and my abilities, which got me out further all feeling like the next problem will be a learning experience thanks to the support of the great friends I have come to know in this group... Let me put the tissue away and just say welcome to the family ;-)

See you on the trail one of these days...

Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Awwwww.

Posted Image

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Welcome to the club. I know it's little bit late welcome after all that is going on in this post.You P38 looks good.
Hope to see you some time soon on trails. Good luck.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks. I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Head Gasket stuff now while theres free shipping. I've got a lot going on right now. I'm about to list my house for sale, get married and buy a house with my fiance. My plan is to be out on the trail by June of this year.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
That is a lot!

Take advantage of the free shipping. After enough orders with AB, you'll want them to pay for shipping whenever possible.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Pete, just read through the thread and I know we have been in contact via email. I am also a member of NCLR and you will find a great group here.

From your numbers, it sounds like a legitimate issue internally, most likely a head gasket. They are not too difficult to replace, just takes time and patience. 185k is a decent amount of miles so I am not surprised it needs to be done. My engine only had 100k miles and it needs it, but I am just burning coolant with no leaks I can see.

Pulling the heads will give you a diagnosis and you will be able to see a burnt valve.

Worst case scenario, you buy a rebuilt engine for around $2-3k. We just dropped in a rebuilt 4.6 engine into Beavers DII from British Recyclers but haven't fired it up yet.

Sounds like a unfortunate position to be in, but hopefully you can fix it. $5k is ridiculous., just buy another better, low mileage P38 and sell that one for parts or as 'mechanics special'.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ted.

Thanks for the encouragement. So far, I bought a head gasket set, head bolts and a water pump from AB yesterday because of free shipping. I've spoken to tiger Dan and he's going to take a look at it around the endo of the month. The hope is that he can diagnose and then fix at a later time.

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Hey Peter,
Email me whenever you free up. I'll be going this weekend, but if you're around in the afternoons next week, maybe I can swing by and check the problem child out.

1995 Range Rover LWB 300tdi
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Quick update. I purchased a rebuilt 4.6 from British recyclers. It's being installed within the next few weeks. So far I have installed new brakes, front and rear and a new drivers door window actuator. I've purchased a 4+" lift with adjustable panhards and a Tom woods drive shaft. I Should be getting a set of 16" wheels then I'll look to get the 255's on. All the mods will go on after the motor swap.

Neck is getting better and my house is for sale. Hope to have it sold shortly then move into the new place.

I'll look to post some pics of the motor later.

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Completed

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Completed

Is this the new one rebuilt?  I lost the plot somewhere along the way.  Did you ever find out what was wrong with the original one?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Wait - what?  As Graeme said - what happened to the original motor?  Last I recall it was running OK (?)

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That's the new one. The issue I have is that I don't have the time to dive into rebuilding the motor. The cost to get the heads off and hopefully find that it just needed a HG cost nearly as much as the rebuilt one.

Pkelly72

Pkelly72

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Here's the record of what's been done or what will be done soon.

New 4.6 installed from British Recyclers - Installed waiting for break in period to be done
Sliders - Will be installed soon
bumper with winch - Done
TF lift with adjustable panhards - Done
Tom Wood Drive shaft - soon
Brakes, F&R - Done
Driverside front door actuator - Done
Passenger side door actuator - soon
Ultra sonic sensor - soon
new wheels and tires 5x 255/85/16's Bighorns- waiting for pickup
F&R Air lockers with compressor and 4:10 gears from GBR - Being built now

I've got a few pics but can't figure out how to attach them?

Edited by Pkelly72, 06 August 2015 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users