Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

just how much does this thing weigh?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
A while back Rupert started a thread about lightening his LR3.

We all know these are heavy rigs. But just how heavy is a kitted out LR3? Well, on my way home from Shaver this afternoon I decided to run mine over the scales and see. I had previously guessed she was 6000-6500 lbs.

But first, some specs. The truck is an '07 LR3 HSE with pretty much every factory option except rear seat DVD players.

I weighed her with full fuel and camping gear on-board. My mods as weighted:

-ARB steel front bumper w/Smittybuilt 10K winch (synth line)
-Custom steel rear bumper w/dual swing outs (spare and jerry can)
-Tactical Rovers rock sliders
-Tactical Rovers gas tank skid
-Tactical Rovers transfer case skid
-Urban Offroad low-profile full length rack
-removed center 2nd row seat and replaced with Dometic 63 qt refrigerator
-RoadShower water tank/shower on rack
-shovel and axe on rack
-48" high-lift on front bumper
-(5) Goodyear Duratrac 275-65-18s on stock 18" wheels

The on-board gear at time of weighing was a full compliment of stuff for 2 people/ 3 days:
OzTent RV4
cots (2)
camp chairs (2)
food/drinks (we were light in this department as we were on the way home)
sleeping bags (2)
approx. 10 gal water
approx. 3 gal extra fuel
recovery gear (2x steel shackles, 2x snatch blocks, 50' snyth winch extension, tow strap, snatch strap, 2x tree straps, etc)
Viair 400 compressor
hand tools
random camping gear - maybe 150 lbs,

So, the total weight without any people aboard came to
'weight' for it...
7140 lbs.

DAY-UM, that's heavy! I did have a little extra stuff along this weekend I wouldn't always carry, but no more than perhaps 50 lbs worth. Throw in a couple of people, and I'm rolling down the road about 7500 lbs fully loaded.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Whats the GVWR for the LR3? IIRC its right up in the range where you weighed in at give or take 100 lbs

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

7140 lbs.

Don,

That explains why you have excellent traction. 1785lbs on each wheel, with a contact patch of maybe 60 square inches each.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
So you just drive up to the scale?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I stopped at a truck stop at I5 and hwy 12 that has a CAT scale. $10.50 for the weigh-in. I just asked the attendant and they directed me onto the scale, had me step out of the truck for a few seconds, then told me to drive around and come in for the print out.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Cat scale? Like hello kitty? ..... Lol

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Hey, don't you have to work in the morning? What are you doing up?

Wait...don't I have to work in the morning? What am I doing up?!

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Practicing the art of no sleep with the baby.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Thanks for weighing in. I was curious about that as well.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I would love to weight my truck, which when loaded up, is probably somewhere along those lines since we have similar mods.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
Just for comparison, a Sherman Tank weighs about 67,000 lbs.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Thanks for weighing in. I was curious about that as well.

very PUNny...

haha :-)

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I would love to weight my truck, which when loaded up, is probably somewhere along those lines since we have similar mods.

David, Plenty of Places to do this including Lyngso off Seaport (Woodside Rd. East) blvd....

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Clearly this is a weighty topic.

I was thinking about it last night and it's bothering me a bit. I checked the GVWR on the door and it's listed at 7121, so I'm actually over when fully loaded. So this morning I've been thinking of things I could do to lighten it a bit. Unfortunately, most of the weight is in the steel armor and I'm not getting rid of that so there's no low hanging fruit.

I may consider doing like Rupert and swapping my rear seats for the regular 5-seat setup. I'm not sure what that would save but it would probably be the biggest single change that wouldn't cost me any features or usefulness on the truck. Rupert, you just did this, what would you estimate those seats weigh in at? Maybe 75 lbs savings?

I was considering doing a second battery but I'll skip that. I think instead a simple LiIo micro-start pack at about 1 lb would be a good back-up staring plan incase I get foolish with the camp lighting. Heck, it would even cost less than doing a second battery and is arguably more useful.

Of course, not carrying a full jerry can when not needed (I don't normally fill it up...sorry Graham!) and of course not over-doing it on spare water. Liquids are heavy. This isn't so much a savings as someplace not to gain additional weight.

I know people have questioned the need for a high-lift, and it's true I don't often need it. Among our entire group last weekend I know we had at least one flat and probably half a dozen stucks but I don't think any of us reached for a high-lift despite probably having at least a dozen of them there. Yet I'm still hesitant to get rid of it since it's such a versatile tool and when you do need one not much else will do.

I did have some extra gear aboard that doesn't normally travel with me. A really HD extension cord, a heater, plus 2 pistols, 2 rifles and some ammo. That was the '50 lbs' more or less that I mentioned in the original posting.

Then again, I just got that set of Traction Jacks that I plan to put on the roof rack and they come in at 26 lbs.

I could get a set of aftermarket wheels which would cut over-all weight and offer the double-wammy of reducing rotational mass/unsprung weight which helps mileage even more, but I'm sort of hard on my wheels and would feel bad about gouging up something that nice and expensive. so I doubt I'll go down that road.

On that same front, I'll pay a bit more attention to tire weights when I choose my next set but I'm not running out to buy new tires just to shave a few pounds.

Over all, I think I'll also just sort of review my packing plan. We've gotten very complacent with an attitude of 'hey, we're not carrying it on our backs and we've got plenty of space so why not'. Still, I doubt I can cut more than 50 lbs here easily.

Again and again I come back to "it's the steel, stupid"

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Interesting topic Don, I like the "Hey, we don't carry it on our backs" mentality...

What do you recon the steel weighs? Quick search said front ARB will come in around 160lbs. Winch another 50? Synth line, lights,.. not much. What do you estimate for the rear? Similarly that would include swing away arms, fuel and spare... +/- 250lbs?

Hmm.....

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I think if you remove your rear seats your going to add in more weight than you think by adding in wood and shelves. Then your going to load in more tools and gear. So now you just took what you thought you wanted away and added in more. I understand your worries but I'm pretty sure your okay with this as a daily driver. The rating on your door might be close to your actual weight bit I think you will survive. I'm sure there are heavier LR3s than yours.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
C&D lists the curb weight of a loaded HSE at 5686. I don't know if they actually weighed a truck or just took that from printed press material. I also don't know if that's full of fuel or not. A full 22 gallon tank of gas would weigh in at almost 140 lbs.

The stock tires were 255/55-19 Wrangler HPs. I can't find the weight of these tires but estimate it at 40 lbs ea.

I'm running 275/65-18 Duratracs which are listed at 50 lbs ea. So 10x5 tires is an extra 50 lbs just in tires alone.

I weighed my recovery gear - 35 lbs
My tools/spares/compressor - 50 lbs
My HiLift - 32 lbs

Smittybuilt's website says an XRC10 weighs 94 lbs. Not sure if that's with or without cable, but let's assume it is. Throw in the aluminum hauser and some mounting hardware and call it 100 lbs.

ARB says 165 lbs for the front bumper

I'll loosely estimate the rear at 225 lbs (we never actually lifted it as a complete unit so it's hard to say)

The roadshower is listed at 15 lbs empty / 55 full

I'll say the fridge is a wash since I removed a seat to install it.

Axe and shovel are pretty light, maybe 20 lbs including the mounting brackets

So that leaves the skids and sliders. I never weighed them and they website doesn't give a weight. I'll estimate each slider is 75 lbs, the gas tank skid about the same and the transfer case skid 50 lbs so that's 275 lbs of undercarriage armor. I might be light on that.
(edit - per Anudeep the silders are 205/pair, 70 for the tank skid and 60 for the X-fer skid so 335 lbs for the set vs my est of 275)

Plus random other stuff I've added like the lights and wiring but they are pretty small potatoes.

If we add all this up we get 917 extra lbs dry. Add 5 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of water and call it 1000 lbs.

If we add that to the C/D spec we are now at 6686 lbs - and that's without camping gear on top of it. So you can see how it all adds up. Like I said, my OzTent is 50 lbs by itself.

I might be able to pair down on some of my recovery and tools/spares but not a lot. And sure I could switch to my REI Hobbitat at 15 lbs, or even my Big Agnes copper spur at 2 lbs. But I won't.

Edited by DHappel, 02 February 2015 - 07:41 PM.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I think if you remove your rear seats your going to add in more weight than you think by adding in wood and shelves. Then your going to load in more tools and gear. So now you just took what you thought you wanted away and added in more. I understand your worries but I'm pretty sure your okay with this as a daily driver. The rating on your door might be close to your actual weight bit I think you will survive. I'm sure there are heavier LR3s than yours.

I don't think I would do a full storage unit build-out. I've considered it but don't know if it would really help me that much. But yeah, if I did that it would be at best a net 0 if not an increase in weight. I'd rather just have a simple flat load floor that lifts up to reveal some storage under it. That would basically be replacing the two folding rear seats with a piece of ply approx. 4'x4' so yes there would be a weight loss there. But as Rupert and Ted pointed out it's not a quicky job.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Dayum. She's a heavy girl like that.

If you daily her or do much towing, I'd strongly consider looking at brake upgrades. Aside from that, you're probably just fine.

Remember, engineers build in a safety factor when listing max or min volumes, so make sure to take advantage of that gift they give you.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Trailer time.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users