Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

just how much does this thing weigh?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Hi Don,

That is a interesting find. I was always curious how much your truck weighs as i was thinking to go close to your mods. So when i planned to get the sliders and skids i got the info from Tactical and here is the weight info they gave me,

The sliders weigh about 205Lbs for the pair. The tank skid is 70 and the trans is 60. So about 335Lbs all together.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Ah, thanks for the note Anudeep. I guess I did estimate a little on the light side for the Tactical armor. That makes me wonder if I'm also underestimating the rear bumper weight a bit.

Other than the bumpers and winch which would be around 500 lbs you'll be pretty close to me. It's easy to push one of these rigs up to 7000 lbs.

My brakes are a year old, but I noticed a bit of squeal on last weekend's trip. I'll have to have a look at the pads. But to tell the truth I've never felt they were inadequate. My biggest complaint is that with the air springs cranked up I'm effectively running a very high spring rate with stock shock valving, so she's under-damped. That was part of why I did the new struts on the truck, but since they are OEM parts the valving is the same and I still have more bounce than I'd like. There is a noticeable difference between fully loaded and just out for a weekend as my camping gear can easily add 500 lbs (extra fuel, water, tent, cots, chairs, food, drinks, clothes, stove, etc) and it all pretty much ends up in the back of the rig. That's also why my Hi-Lift is on the front just to help even out the load.

Now that I think about it, this can also help me justify going to on-board air. That would move the compressor from the rear storage area to under the hood. Yeah...that's just the justification I need. :)

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

I think if you remove your rear seats your going to add in more weight than you think by adding in wood and shelves. Then your going to load in more tools and gear. So now you just took what you thought you wanted away and added in more. I understand your worries but I'm pretty sure your okay with this as a daily driver. The rating on your door might be close to your actual weight bit I think you will survive. I'm sure there are heavier LR3s than yours.

I was told the 2005 LR3 was the heaviest built by LR. I don't have the figures. Rear seats were at least 75 lbs. Teds may have a better guestimate. Removing the seats did give me about 3 inches extra depth for storage. Pedrams correct extra space will be replaced with extra weight.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Michal probably has the heaviest truck here in the LR3-4 department. Two tires, full metal jacket, and a huge spare 28 gal tank?!?!

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

Michal probably has the heaviest truck here in the LR3-4 department. Two tires, full metal jacket, and a huge spare 28 gal tank?!?!

He's expedition ready
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Yeah, between the dual tires and extra fuel he's certainly carrying plenty of weight.

Pedram, you worked with both his Kaymar and my bumper - I'm thinking the one you built is likely heavier than the Kaymar. Would you agree? And then I've got the jerry can where he has the extra tire, so maybe they end up pretty close.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I would say Michal's truck overall because of the 28+ 19 gallons of fuel alone. He's got the bigger roof rack, he doesn't have a front bumper but a hidden winch. Plus a cage for the doggie, child seats, more switches and I think he weights more than you, in human weight. I think all together you two might be the fattest land rovers.

Edited by Pedram, 02 February 2015 - 11:07 PM.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
No no, we're 'phat', yo.

Don

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4

I would say Michal's truck overall because of the 28+ 19 gallons of fuel alone. He's got the bigger roof rack, he doesn't have a front bumper but a hidden winch. Plus a cage for the doggie, child seats, more switches and I think he weights more than you, in human weight. I think all together you two might be the fattest land rovers.

Yep! I am the fattest rover :))) That being said - still no issues with the weight. I clock 12mpg city and 15mpg hwy fully loaded. It is a heavy car without any of my "additions" but I did notice the extra weight especially after the addition of the rear bumper and aux fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Um children, let's not argue over who is the fattest fully loaded Rover, top spot is and will always be mine, you can fight for second place [ATTACH]5854[/ATTACH]

Steel bumpers, steel rims, big heavy tires, Diesel engine, underbody skids, full roll cage, food for 4 Solis men, 3.15 Solis'....you get the point.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
It's funny you came in. I was thinking to myself.... I wonder what Chris's truck weights.....

Now you need to weigh in on the matter.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Well I figured that my dad and brother and the gear/food for them added probably 600 pounds plus all the spares, 4 gal of coolant, 2 gal of oil, misc other fluids and parts, recovery gear, etc. I did take off the sand ladders and saves some weight.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Well, I did weigh mine sans-passengers. And I easily go 250...

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Well, I did weigh mine sans-passengers. And I easily go 250...

I'm going to weigh mine this weekend.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4

Um children, let's not argue over who is the fattest fully loaded Rover, top spot is and will always be mine, you can fight for second place [ATTACH]5854[/ATTACH]

Steel bumpers, steel rims, big heavy tires, Diesel engine, underbody skids, full roll cage, food for 4 Solis men, 3.15 Solis'....you get the point.

Hahahaha - I give up.....

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Hahahaha - I give up.....

Hey Michal!

How are you buddy? How's the mods?
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
"3.15 Solis" - I like this. It sounds very technical.

What's the speed of a CT110 in a vacuum? 3.15 Solis.

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Well i took Roxson's current weight which is 15% of mine so he is 0.15 of a grown Solis.

There is a Solis constant tho, used for all kinds of things:
Exact amount of entertainment is equal to the vol of alcohol in ounces multiplied by number of drinking hours on the day in question multiplied by the Solis constant.

Amount of meat you will need for a party is number of guests x 0.5 pounds and then multiple that by the Solis constant of "it's not enough triple it" and now you have how much meat is required.

The only one that can never ever ever be challenged or adjusted is the Solis:Salami equation which is literally the weight of the salami must equal the weight of the Solis.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4

Hey Michal!

How are you buddy? How's the mods?

Everything is working perfectly. We are soooo lucky to have Pedram in our club as he literally did magic with the aux tank!!!! Let's be frank - it is nice to be able to pump 45 + gallons of fuel and not worry about range :)

When are you installing yours???

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Well i took Roxson's current weight which is 15% of mine so he is 0.15 of a grown Solis.

There is a Solis constant tho, used for all kinds of things:
Exact amount of entertainment is equal to the vol of alcohol in ounces multiplied by number of drinking hours on the day in question multiplied by the Solis constant.

Amount of meat you will need for a party is number of guests x 0.5 pounds and then multiple that by the Solis constant of "it's not enough triple it" and now you have how much meat is required.

The only one that can never ever ever be challenged or adjusted is the Solis:Salami equation which is literally the weight of the salami must equal the weight of the Solis.

Bacon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users