Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 wheels on an LR4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
So, just for the record, if you're running wheel spacers such as and LR4 w/LR3 wheels, I'd recommend sticking with the 265-65-18s.

We got the 275-65-18s to fit, but it required a bit more work in the front than anticipated. The spacers push the pivot-point of the wheels out enough that it makes getting clearance at the back of the wheel well hard at full lock. Less spacer would help, but there is almost no clearance around the caliper as it is with the 30mm. We did not have to grind the calipers, but only *just*.

We ran longer than expected plus I'm getting a bit sick (I blame Graeme form the DitD) and to top it off I ran out of gas for my welder. On our test drive we found only a tiny bit of contact at full lock which we will adjust for at a later date when I've got more gas (wait....that sounds wrong). Of course we didn't get to flex it out at all, just drive around the streets and parking lots so once Erin can get some off-road time we'll see if we need to make any further tweaks. I suspect we'll do so, but it shouldn't be much.

I let Erin post up some of the progress pics, but she did get to practice some new skills. I didn't put the welding torch in her hand, but she got to play with the grinder.

Posted Image

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Tom wants welding time now..... So now everyone here is slowly fallowing my lead. D-fab, E-fab, and T-fab. Together they are DET fabulous.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Here's a few I took.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
This is a video
Posted Image

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Congratulations, Erin!!!! :) Can't wait to see more pictures.

I went to the truck show in San Mateo when I got back from up north and bought the BFG A/T KO2s - they don't get delivered until April in my size, but I will be selling my BFGs............... Michal?
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
I would have posted this earlier, but spent several hours helping Jared do yard work.

Two very busy days! Saturday started at 10 am and finished around 8:30 pm. The rear was easier, no issues. Oh, except that we had to change the heater hoses from aluminum to rubber hose. Don punctured one of the pipes by accident and so we decided to change them both out. It made it easier to form them around the wheel well anyway.

But the front wheels required some grinding, cutting and welding. We had to remove some plastic in the front of the front wheel wells and then cut away, hammer, and weld away piece of metal from the chassis that stuck out into the wheel well. After driving some today, the right front passenger wheel is still rubbing on this metal and will need to be hammered down some more... I've noticed a burnt smell after I get out of the truck on that side.

The pictures are in no particular order.

Edited by erinw.rrc, 22 February 2015 - 09:04 PM.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
More photos...

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Erin, great job with the grinding! :)

I have to admit, this is what I am used to seeing women do from the back (hahahahahahahaha):

Posted Image
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin, great job with the grinding! :)

I have to admit, this is what I am used to seeing women do from the back (hahahahahahahaha):

Posted Image

OMG... it was way to hot on Saturday to wear something like that... LOL! Besides, I'm not very good in the kitchen. :)

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

OMG... it was way to hot on Saturday to wear something like that... LOL! Besides, I'm not very good in the kitchen. :)

It's typically VERY hot in Hildale, UT/Colorado City, AZ and they have no problem wearing them outside. :)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I can see where this thread will end up.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I can see where this thread will end up.

Me getting a slap in the face from Erin? ;-)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I wish there was a slap in the face emoji. ::nuts::

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

More like 6 flat tires.

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Congratulations, Erin!!!! :) Can't wait to see more pictures.

I went to the truck show in San Mateo when I got back from up north and bought the BFG A/T KO2s - they don't get delivered until April in my size, but I will be selling my BFGs............... Michal?

Hi David,

I am also waiting for those KO2's. How much did they cost?

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Hi David,

I am also waiting for those KO2's. How much did they cost?

I got the 265/65R18s and dealt directly with the BFG representatives that were on site. You pay through 4Wheel Parts and they actually receive them at a store you choose (for me, San Jose). I think I paid around $230 per tire with a $70.00 rebate and free mount and balance. I can look it up and tell you exactly.

I was told to order early, you can do it through 4Wheel Parts if you want, but he said the other sizes that are already out are really getting sold out quickly. He said the feedback from people has been extremely positive.

Regards, David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE
Thanks David.

That's sweet deal. Let's see how this size lives up to their other size reviews. Keep me posted.

Thanks
Anudeep

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Hey Guys and Gals,
I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! I'm posting in this thread for a few of reasons. First off, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Rich and I am new to this forum. I would like to meet some fellow enthusiasts who enjoy exploring the outdoors and using their Land Rovers the way they were intended. Also, I've read through this thread and it looks like I'm in the right place to inquire about some tire sizes.

I just acquired a 2012 LR4 and I need to equip it before June for a trip a couple of friends and I are planning. I plan on installing Johnson Rods, the IIDTool, winch, a rack with lights, rear tire carrier, a ladder and tires and wheels. Any recommendations forthcoming and success stories will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I would like to mount some 285/65/18's on the LR3 wheels with the 1.25" spacers but Compomotives aren't out of the question. My questions are thus:
- I've noticed that some of you are running 275/65/18's. Is there much of a difference, in terms of the modifications needed, to get the 285's mounted without rubbing as opposed to the 275's?
- What modifications, in detail, will I need to implement in order to get the 285's functioning without inhibiting the articulation of the suspension and overall performance of the vehicle?
- Have any of you mounted a 285/65/18 with success? If so, have you experienced any drawbacks?
- I do not commute too much but my rig will be a daily driver. Aside from wear and tear on the tires and gas milage, do you foresee any challenges with keeping these tires on while driving around town?

I am planning an off-road trip in June and looking for some cool routes you can suggest. So far there are two scenarios I'm looking into. In the first scenario, we will tackle the Rubicon out near Granlibakken in Tahoe. Another route I am considering is starting out near Capps Crossing and heading out to Silver Lake in the Eldorado National Forrest area. I'm used to driving shorter wheel based vehicles and I am curious about your opinion in terms of whether or not an LR4 can handle this terrain.
- Do you think a 2012 LR4 with bigger tires can handle the trails I mentioned?
- Do you think setting up my LR4 with 285/65/18's on 18" LR3 wheels and 1.25" spacers will help with tackling this terrain?
- What do you recommend in terms of setting up my LR4?
- Finally, I am curious about where any of you have ventured off with your rigs in CA. Can you recommend any fun, exciting, challenging (without destroying my rig) 3-4 day trips in the Northern California region that you have explored with your Land Rover's?

I apologize about the long post; I'm just excited about getting my truck ready for some adventures. Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to eventually joining and meeting any of you while we make some tracks!

Cheers,
Rich ::bigsmile::

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,453 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Hey Guys and Gals,
I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! I'm posting in this thread for a few of reasons. First off, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Rich and I am new to this forum. I would like to meet some fellow enthusiasts who enjoy exploring the outdoors and using their Land Rovers the way they were intended. Also, I've read through this thread and it looks like I'm in the right place to inquire about some tire sizes.

I just acquired a 2012 LR4 and I need to equip it before June for a trip a couple of friends and I are planning. I plan on installing Johnson Rods, the IIDTool, winch, a rack with lights, rear tire carrier, a ladder and tires and wheels. Any recommendations forthcoming and success stories will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I would like to mount some 285/65/18's on the LR3 wheels with the 1.25" spacers but Compomotives aren't out of the question. My questions are thus:
- I've noticed that some of you are running 275/65/18's. Is there much of a difference, in terms of the modifications needed, to get the 285's mounted without rubbing as opposed to the 275's?
- What modifications, in detail, will I need to implement in order to get the 285's functioning without inhibiting the articulation of the suspension and overall performance of the vehicle?
- Have any of you mounted a 285/65/18 with success? If so, have you experienced any drawbacks?
- I do not commute too much but my rig will be a daily driver. Aside from wear and tear on the tires and gas milage, do you foresee any challenges with keeping these tires on while driving around town?

I am planning an off-road trip in June and looking for some cool routes you can suggest. So far there are two scenarios I'm looking into. In the first scenario, we will tackle the Rubicon out near Granlibakken in Tahoe. Another route I am considering is starting out near Capps Crossing and heading out to Silver Lake in the Eldorado National Forrest area. I'm used to driving shorter wheel based vehicles and I am curious about your opinion in terms of whether or not an LR4 can handle this terrain.
- Do you think a 2012 LR4 with bigger tires can handle the trails I mentioned?
- Do you think setting up my LR4 with 285/65/18's on 18" LR3 wheels and 1.25" spacers will help with tackling this terrain?
- What do you recommend in terms of setting up my LR4?
- Finally, I am curious about where any of you have ventured off with your rigs in CA. Can you recommend any fun, exciting, challenging (without destroying my rig) 3-4 day trips in the Northern California region that you have explored with your Land Rover's?

I apologize about the long post; I'm just excited about getting my truck ready for some adventures. Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to eventually joining and meeting any of you while we make some tracks!

Cheers,
Rich ::bigsmile::

Hi Rich! Welcome to the forum. There are some really great LR3/LR4 subject matter experts that will be able to help you. I know that on my wife's LR4 (the one described in this thread) the 275s barely fit and only then with some light modification to avoid rubbing on the chassis horn and inner plastic wheel well. The thing to consider is how much radius increase occurs when you add the spacers -- I think this is your biggest gate on moving to even larger tires.

The tires look/perform great though and from just the small off road activity we've done since last weekend (when the tires were fitted/finished) they are worlds of difference from the stock 19-inchers (no real surprise there.)

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Welcome Rich!

As Jared said above, we have a few LR3/LR4 owners who have been through all this discussion and selection of tires and all the modifications/updates you want. I have a 2013 LR4 with Compomotive wheels and 265/65R18 wheels. I have the Green Oval adjustable rods and Gap IIDTool, but I can fit the tires with NO modifications - it's a little tight here and there, but fits fine. I may give my truck a little lift, but I wanted to run at stock height, so the rods/IID tool are mostly just for the trails - we will see. I do worry a bit about a suspension failure and how it would go on the bump stops, but I have the Green Oval emergency air-up kit just in case. If you want any sized bigger tires, you need lift/modification as Jared states.

I have a lot of the modifications you describe, as do some other guys, so let us know if you have any specific questions. We have a club member, Pedram, who has been instrumental in helping a lot of us with installations and actual fabrication of bumpers, tire swing aways, etc. He and his wife just welcomed a new baby boy, so I think his time is rather limited now. :-)

You should have no problem finding answers on these forums or from members, we have explored all these options. :)

welcome!

Regards, David
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

The tires look/perform great though and from just the small off road activity we've done since last weekend (when the tires were fitted/finished) they are worlds of difference from the stock 19-inchers (no real surprise there.)

Where did you guys go??? :)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users